This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Good game to play with my husband?

#1AnimakoPosted 8/18/2013 5:42:35 PM
Hi there!

First of all, I have to admit I've never played a single Pokemon game. I love video games, but I used to hate Pokemon because everyone in my class where obsessed when I was 10 years old. But now at I'm a grown, married woman, I'm looking for games I can play on the 3DS with my husband and Pokemon came to mind.

I love when we play the same games at the same time and love when those games have multiplayer features. Right now, we are playing Fire Emblem, but he's getting tired of it and he doesn't want to play Animal Crossing with me. I talked to him about Pokemon and he thought it was a good idea but I'm not so sure, from what I've read, that it's my kind of game.

My husband used to play Pokemon Blue when he was young and explained the basics to me. That's all I know about the Pokemon games. I'm well aware that they have evolved since then. I was wondering a few things:

- Is there any kind of customization in the new Pokemon games? Will we be able to discuss what we do with the Pokemons we've caught, or what we do with them?

- Besides collecting, what use is there to capturing hundreds of Pokemons? You can only battle with a few from what I know, and my husband told me he used the same Pokemon during the whole game in previous games.

- Is there an actual storyline or is it completely open ended?

- What multiplayer interactions can we have? Is it any useful to have a partner playing in the same household in this game? In Fire Emblem, we trade items continuously, can we do something like that in Pokemon?

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with me. I would love to be convinced that this is the game for us, but I can't seem to grasp all the features. Sorry if any of my questions seem weird ^^
---
3DS FC - 1091 8283 0723
Name: Misty / Town: Meadow
#2MutetwoPosted 8/18/2013 5:43:55 PM
Yes, you get X and He gets Y. For obvious reasons
---
3ds Friend Code PM me 1st 5112-3549-4866
Be it salvation or damnation your soul shall be mine
#32vNiEp1Posted 8/18/2013 5:50:58 PM
Animako posted...
- Is there any kind of customization in the new Pokemon games? Will we be able to discuss what we do with the Pokemons we've caught, or what we do with them?
Yes :) This Gen have finally introduced character customization. The basis and how far into customizing our characters will go is currently unknown.

- Besides collecting, what use is there to capturing hundreds of Pokemons? You can only battle with a few from what I know, and my husband told me he used the same Pokemon during the whole game in previous games.
Using different Pokemon every time you play through the whole the game makes the experience much more fun.

If we can compare from last Gen, we can expect this to have a very compelling, deep story within it.

- What multiplayer interactions can we have? Is it any useful to have a partner playing in the same household in this game? In Fire Emblem, we trade items continuously, can we do something like that in Pokemon?
Yes. Like version exclusives of Pokemon you can only find in the different versions and also a lot of them actually evolve through trading.

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with me. I would love to be convinced that this is the game for us, but I can't seem to grasp all the features. Sorry if any of my questions seem weird ^^

You can find everything you need to know so far about these games here -> http://www.serebii.net/xy/
I hope you guys do get the games ^_^
---
The best Legendary ever, Latiken! http://i.imgur.com/5hx5PI3.jpg
3DS FC : 2809-8175-8115
#4Katharina27Posted 8/18/2013 5:51:39 PM
Why hello Animako. My favorite website for Pokemon information is right here.

http://www.serebii.net/

You'll find the Pokedex, the Type Chart and the section about Pokemon X and Y to be very helpful.

Both versions of the game will have different Pokemon so you'll have to trade with your husband to get them all. Battling can be a lot of fun. Just pick your favorites and try not to have too many Pokemon of the same type on your team. The Pokemon types are simply an elaborate version of rock, paper, scissors. Perhaps agree to battle with your husband after every gym leader you beat.

The storyline wont be anything amazing but don't let that disappoint you. It's going to be a fun game. I can't wait until it comes out.
---
I am guilty of being an insufferable smart ass!
Too many people I know would be perfectly content to burn me for a witch.
#5JackSolomonPosted 8/18/2013 5:53:52 PM
Mutetwo posted...

There's something I find oddly satisfying about living in a time where the difference between male and female chromosomes is considered 'obvious'.

Animako posted...

I'm fairly certain you can't customize the Pokemon themselves, but you can choose your gender, hair, skin, and eye color within a few presets. That said, each Pokemon has a different nature and a special trait (like a Pokemon might have a Joyous nature, and 'likes to win' as a trait) these really don't have much of an impact visually, but it tells you a little about your Pokemon.

You can only keep six on your person at a time. Capturing them all these days is a very daunting task, and generally only the most diehard fans or completionist even attempt it. You'll probably be wanting to instead capture the ones you come across that you like, and call it a day.

There is an actual storyline, but there tends to be a decent amount of side gameplay, if you're looking for it, and generally there's a pretty good postgame once the storyline is completed.
#6GoldenSWarriorsPosted 8/18/2013 5:56:43 PM
Mutetwo posted...

lol this is great
---
GT: F3rocious Panda
http://i.minus.com/iyd6J984Oz8cy.gif
#7SocranPosted 8/18/2013 6:07:01 PM(edited)
Animako posted...
everyone in my class where obsessed when I was 10 years old. But now at I'm a grown, married woman

Thanks for making me feel old.

Animako posted...

Well, you can customize your trainer's outfits in this new one. As for the second half of your question, I'm not sure what you mean. I suppose "customization" is a broad term, that could mean anything from outward appearance to stats or movesets or whatever.

Besides collecting, it's mostly just there so you have options. And to fill out that Pokemon's data in your Pokedex.

It has a standard linear storyline, although it's not incredibly "plot-heavy". It's not anything like what you think of as an "open-ended RPG" though. That is to say, you complete a specific story-related task to open up the next, higher-level area, instead of just "free-roaming".

http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/whats_new/pss/

That goes into detail on all of the multiplayer features. There's not really any "true co-op", but there are a lot of little things that make it worthwhile to have someone playing the game right next to you, in addition to being able to trade and battle with each other.

Speaking of which, serebii.net is not a great place for newcomers to learn about the game. It's mostly for people who are already experienced with the game to get all the precise information that you need. www.pokemonxy.com (the official website) is tailored specifically to introduce newcomers to the series.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#8Professor_MarthPosted 8/18/2013 6:06:12 PM
How could you possibly get tired of Fire Emblem? Ha ha! I kid, I kid.

All of the previous posters have brought up a lot of really great information and helpful tips. Listen to them! I will say that Pokemon tends to be a game that you either love to death, or hate with a burning passion. It has a lot of JRPG elements, such as random encounters, leveling up, and turn-based combat, so if you don't like games like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy then you might not enjoy Pokemon. Seeing that you like Fire Emblem makes me think that you'll also like Pokemon though, so you should be in the clear!

The whole capturing/collecting aspect of Pokemon though gives it a unique, distinct style and feel that other JRPG's lack though. Back in the old days, when there were only 151 Pokemon, collecting them all was great. Nowadays though you should just stick to catching and raising the ones you like best, since there are just so many! That's part of the fun of Pokemon though, there are so many different ones to choose from!

Has your husband played and Pokemon games since Blue? If not, he'll be in for quite a shock, seeing as a lot of things have changed since then. The best place to go to get up to date would be this website: www.serebii.net

You'll find all the information you could ever possibly need about Pokemon there!

As far as multiplayer interactions are concerned, battling and trading with others has always been one of the best parts of Pokemon! Like someone before me suggested, try battling your husband after you both beat a gym. For example, when both of you have beaten the first gym, have a battle. Do the same after the second, then the third, and so on. Eventually, you should battle after both of you have beaten the Champion!

I hope we've helped out!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBBesQ9AaGM
#9javel34Posted 8/18/2013 6:15:34 PM
Lol this is the Internet. You can't fool us, men don't exist.
---
Black 2 FC: 3569 1730 6208 http://zettai-cosplay.deviantart.com/art/Skyla-Cosplay-244148531 my wife. Doesn't count Tiger, this ones real.
#10Animako(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 6:42:30 PM
Thank you for your help everyone! I think I'll give it a try, the game is starting to look more and more interesting. I'll also check out that website :-) If anyone else has anything to add, feel free to!

Mutetwo posted...

Nice one :D

Professor_Marth posted...
How could you possibly get tired of Fire Emblem? Ha ha! I kid, I kid.

All of the previous posters have brought up a lot of really great information and helpful tips. Listen to them! I will say that Pokemon tends to be a game that you either love to death, or hate with a burning passion. It has a lot of JRPG elements, such as random encounters, leveling up, and turn-based combat, so if you don't like games like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy then you might not enjoy Pokemon. Seeing that you like Fire Emblem makes me think that you'll also like Pokemon though, so you should be in the clear!

[...]

Has your husband played and Pokemon games since Blue? If not, he'll be in for quite a shock, seeing as a lot of things have changed since then.

As I mentionned, HE is getting tired of Fire Emblem, not I :P But Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy are among our favorites, and it's usually me who brings in new series for us to play. Pokemon will be one of the first game he knows better than I.

And no, he has not played since Blue... I'm sure he'll be surprised by the new features, but at least he'll be familiar with the settings. Though I'm not quite sure he'll like the whole Pokemon Amie thing, he used to roll his eyes when I was playing with my Nintendogs... ^^

Thanks for your comments everyone!
---
3DS FC - 1091 8283 0723
Name: Misty / Town: Meadow