This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are some people against having more and more pokemon?

#21SuperSonicDBZPosted 8/19/2013 11:58:45 PM(edited)
I'm not. Just keep the designs cool. And don't make the unique ones suck. Like Tropius. He should be stronger. But he's not. I have no hope for Honedge.

I started in Gen 1. Keep 'em coming. Though I wish they'd even out the amount. We went from 151 to 251 to 3XX to 4XX to... well heck it's 649 and growing. Why not have made it 650? And they better not do some odd number like 763.
---
Donnel is my # 1 bro. We fist bump, slay some risen, eat some chicken strips, bomb the Valmese and steal sugar from Gaius on a daily basis. Like a Boss. FE:A
#22TheWayofPiePosted 8/20/2013 9:10:50 AM
3rd gen was definetly the more balanced metagame. Would have been a godtier one if it had physical/special split.
---
Ridley: *Adjusts monocole* Why, I've become civilized, my dear Samantha! Anyway, come, sit, have some tea. -Master_Warlord7 Same Time Posts: 8
#23NitharadPosted 8/20/2013 9:13:27 AM
It would change way too much and 6 Pokemon is like tradition now.
#24RemixV4Posted 8/20/2013 9:18:56 AM
How many of those new Pokemon actually end up being used in meta? Its a waste to bother making so many creatures that will never get used.

just saying. im enjoying all the new designs so far.
---
The heart is shaken more by a single action than a thousand words.
#25bd43Posted 8/20/2013 11:10:37 AM
RemixV4 posted...
How many of those new Pokemon actually end up being used in meta? Its a waste to bother making so many creatures that will never get used.

just saying. im enjoying all the new designs so far.

There's going to be like 6 tiers this gen. Hardly a waste.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#26SummonearthPosted 8/20/2013 12:18:09 PM
Either 1. They are die-hard generation 1 fans and hate any generation after 1, 2. They are lazy or 3. Loony or at least irrational.
---
"I will speak my mind and say what I want and if you don't like it, well too bad!" "And my Pikachu pillow says hi"
#27ClassyOldHatPosted 8/20/2013 12:56:44 PM
Summonearth posted...
Either 1. They are die-hard generation 1 fans and hate any generation after 1, 2. They are lazy or 3. Loony or at least irrational.

So, what aspect of these posts is loony or irrational?

ClassyOldHat posted...
PheonixFFire7 posted...
Its just inevitable that the more you have of something, the more watered down it becomes. Its value is lessened when there's so many available.

And its harder to establish any kind of meaningful connection with each individual Pokemon when so many exist. There's so many that demand your attention and memory that you can't help but place less value on each one. You wear yourself thin trying to care about them all. It was easy when there was 151, even 251 wasn't so bad. Once it creeped up to nearly 400, each individual Pokemon became less and less memorable because there were so many to have to keep track of.

This is most apparent with the Legendary Pokemon in particular. There's so many now that the title of "legendary" practically loses all meaning.

This is a big reason for me, as well as:

1. Game Freak having a harder time keeping things balanced (including power creep). I, personally, would be a lot more happy to see a game that makes a better attempt to balance existing pokemon than another 100 new Pokemon, all in the extremes of being borderline Uber or stuff that is never used in Never Used, which only helps make existing Pokemon worth even less.

2. "Limited space to put all the Pokemon." This was one of the excuses for generation 3 being impossible to complete without seven games across two consoles. Generation 4 showed that all pokemon could be included more reasonably, if you're clever, but then gen 5 came along and decided to stuff everything in the unusable dreamworld/Dream Radar. This holds especially true when you have "regional dexs" as this means all Pokemon not included in said regional dex will have to be shoved into the tiny handful of postgame areas, assuming they are lucky enough to be available in-game at all.
#28SummonearthPosted 8/20/2013 3:55:36 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
Summonearth posted...

So, what aspect of these posts is loony or irrational?

Are you saying that I am loony or irrational?!?
---
"I will speak my mind and say what I want and if you don't like it, well too bad!" "And my Pikachu pillow says hi"
#29ClassyOldHatPosted 8/20/2013 5:36:32 PM
Summonearth posted...
Are you saying that I am loony or irrational?!?

No, I was referring to the other quotes in my post. The quotes by PheonixFFire7 and I. These posts were not rooted in hatred for later generations, nor laziness in completing the Pokedex. Therfore, according to you, the only options remaining for our opinions is that they are loony or irrational.

Quite frankly, I got tired of seeing people who supported adding more Pokemon giving reasons they assumed those who wanted the number to be toned down had, and ignoring anyone who actually held those opinions. Especially given that these assumptions were largely condescending ("Because change is scary"? Really, that tired old chestnut?).