This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How exactly does competitive play in Pokemon work?

#1King_of_GoatsPosted 8/21/2013 3:22:39 AM
I've always been interested in the competitive scene in Pokemon, but never really had the time for it. Nonetheless, I'd like to play competitively with the release of X and Y for at least awhile. How exactly does the competitive play work out? Is it just the best people from the Battle Competitions on the Global Link that are invited to tournaments, or is the online feature of Pokemon different from the actual tournaments?
#2yoshirulezzPosted 8/21/2013 3:26:39 AM
Step1: Go on pokemon showdown.

Step 2: Make an unoriginal OU team and hope to win

Step 3: ???

Step 4: PROFIT
#3MidnightCrewPosted 8/21/2013 3:33:45 AM
In terms of the official nintendo stuff, there are tournaments both on wifi and in places you can go to, the winners progress to go to bigger events.

In terms of the competitive scene that's NOT governed by Nintendo and their nonsense rules.. Pokemon Showdown.
---
Official Scrafty Of The Black And White Clan, Official Misdreavus of The BW 2 Boards. Official Lorelei of the BW 2 Boards.
#4sonOFestarkPosted 8/21/2013 3:35:26 AM
The official competitive system is subject to change, but, currently, there is a point system. You get a certain amount of points for your place (if it's high) in online tournaments, as well as at some physical tournaments. If you have enough points, you get to go to the world championships (there's also a last chance qualifier tournament at worlds for four more peole to get in).
Check this link for detailed info:

http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/video/video/championship-points/
---
White 2 FC: 2624 0707 4433
One day, long ago, I ate a glowing piece of moldy cheese. Later that day, VeghEsther was born in my bathroom.
#5King_of_Goats(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 3:38:02 AM(edited)
Thanks! Is Smogon affiliated with the competitive Nintendo scene, or is there nothing banned in the Nintendo sponsored events?
#6MidnightCrewPosted 8/21/2013 3:38:20 AM
King_of_Goats posted...
Thanks! Is Smogon affiliated with the competitive Nintendo scene?

No, they are in no way official. However they are widely regarded as the best place for competitive Pokemon due to the ease of use of Showdown, their rules and their more tested bans. c:
---
Official Scrafty Of The Black And White Clan, Official Misdreavus of The BW 2 Boards. Official Lorelei of the BW 2 Boards.
#7King_of_Goats(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 4:54:04 AM
Is anything banned in the official Nintendo rules?
#8bararad13Posted 8/21/2013 4:56:00 AM
only the moves: sky drop due to a glitch and dark void due to being to powerful
#9MidnightCrewPosted 8/21/2013 5:03:39 AM
King_of_Goats posted...
Is anything banned in the official Nintendo rules?

A lot of Pokemon and moves are banned.
---
#10King_of_Goats(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2013 5:30:19 PM
Maybe I'm blind, but I couldn't find anything regarding things being banned in official Nintendo games. Can someone point me the right direction?