This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The demo revealed something about starter gender, perhaps?

#1A_DoorknobPosted 8/21/2013 7:14:27 AM
I have a feeling this is probably old, but I haven't heard anyone else mention it, so I thought I would in case someone hasn't noticed.

In the demo footage, you can see that as usual, opposing trainers usually use Pokémon that match their gender. For example, notice that Professor Sycamore uses exclusively male Pokémon. The exception has always been when a Pokémon has more than a 50% chance of being a particular gender, in which case trainer-owned Pokémon will always be of that gender (for example, trainer-owned Vulpix are always female, because Vulpix has a 75% chance of being female). Because of this rule, all trainer-owned starters have automatically been male, even when used by female trainers, because they have a whopping 87.5% chance of being male. However, in the demo footage, Serena's and Shauna's starters are both female. This means that there is a possibility that the new starters have an even 50/50 gender ratio.

Of course, this being a demo, we can't be positive that this reflects the way it will be in the final game, but I thought it was still pretty interesting.
#2YorksterPosted 8/21/2013 7:19:27 AM
I'm pretty sure I've gotten female starters before as a male trainer?
---
The above post is made of cake.
3DS friend code:3480-2635-6606
#3CyberWrist101Posted 8/21/2013 7:19:41 AM
It's also just possible they decided to brake the pattern.
---
Gamertag: SquirtleMan649
#4TheMasterTurtlePosted 8/21/2013 7:19:43 AM
I hope not. I never use female Pokemon and if I have to restart I'll be a little pissed.
---
OFFICIAL WARTORTLE OF THE B/W BOARDS
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThreeAmigosProductio - My short films, please enjoy yourself.
#5nro87Posted 8/21/2013 7:21:28 AM
Yorkster posted...
I'm pretty sure I've gotten female starters before as a male trainer?

He's talking about NPCs, genius. Of course the player can get either gender.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#6patkelly929Posted 8/21/2013 7:21:58 AM
Generally in the games the NPCs tend to use Pokemon of the same gender as the trainer. Why? I don't know. But it's usually the case, unless the Pokemon has a specific gender..
---
"Gary was here. Ash is a loser!" = Greatest Tramp Stamp Ever
Green & Blue Bird, this is Mr. Fabulous, we are a go for cheesin' it. - Bender
#7rocknroller365Posted 8/21/2013 7:25:34 AM
TheMasterTurtle posted...
I hope not. I never use female Pokemon and if I have to restart I'll be a little pissed.

O.o

What's wrong with female Pokemon?
#8Mudkip43Posted 8/21/2013 7:28:06 AM

.Why? A female starter is better because you can breed for a better one.
---
3DS FC: 4940 5904 2568
#9Luigi playerPosted 8/21/2013 7:29:14 AM
the demo probably revealed their stats but no one ever checks them I don't know why...
---
I'm a the Luigi master!
www.freewebs.com/luigi_player/
#10YorksterPosted 8/21/2013 7:30:04 AM

You wouldn't have to restart, your sexism would cause you to.
---
The above post is made of cake.
3DS friend code:3480-2635-6606