This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should GameFreak remove IVs?

#21Lone_HunterPosted 8/21/2013 1:10:52 PM
Why stop at getting rid of IV's? Lets get rid of natures and EV's, that would make things fair.
---
~Elite Divided Leader / TFC: Street Fighter / PBL: Wiseman~(W2)2924-7521-0718
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLinkhawkins
#22Twilight_SonataPosted 8/21/2013 1:11:12 PM
Lone_Hunter posted...
Twilight_Sonata posted...
InhaledCorn posted...
If they remove them and turn them into EVs (and genetically "good" Pokemon would actually already have a little EV investment)

Ooh, that actually sounds like a really good idea. Instead of giving Pokemon IVs, any above level 1 caught in the wild already have some random EVs. This differentiates them, makes breeding not a complete pain in the ass, and even let's you "change" them with EV-lowering items.

That would be bad, that means only lvl 1 pokes would be worth anything because the rest could potentially be unusable.

A) Not any more unusable than Pokemon without perfect IVs already are.
B) Not if EVs become more transparent (which I think was stated to be a thing) and EV-lowering items become not as much of a pain to get.
#23sandstormflygonPosted 8/21/2013 1:13:29 PM
no one in there right mind cares about iv and who cares if there unique or not they have and always will be data. there not real and a bunch of code. who in there mind cares if the pokemon are unique or not. natures and ev training does that. also nicknaming works too.
#24kaiser ryuPosted 8/21/2013 1:16:32 PM
They should make it more transparent and easily manipulable through breeding. A mechanic more than a random act of Arceus.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#25Savra104Posted 8/21/2013 1:16:57 PM
IVs make Pokemon different by virtue of making the vast majority of Pokemon worse. This isn't a good thing at all.

There are better ways to handle differences. Especially now that we've moved onto 3D models and can alter/change any textures. We could apply a Spinda mechanic on every Pokemon with ease. Not to mention, this also gives room for recolors. I'd rather have them actually use the space on the game carts doing this sort of thing than leave a giant hole of potential data that they "couldn't think of" a reason to use.

InhaledCorn posted...
If they remove them and turn them into EVs (and genetically "good" Pokemon would actually already have a little EV investment) with appropriate limit increases to each stat so that it matches up with gens previous.

This way, more Pokemon can run a bulky spread if they only use one offense, go mixed, and walls become all the wall-ier.

I could agree to something similar to this. Every Pokemon should look like a 31-IV straight Pokemon barring EV implementation. But if 31-IV Pikachu starts with 31 EVs (or 64 EVs) from "birth" then I don't have any issue.
#26TranquilSeaPosted 8/21/2013 1:18:04 PM
Lone_Hunter posted...
Why stop at getting rid of IV's? Lets get rid of natures and EV's, that would make things fair.

Fairer yet would be to just stop making Pokemon games. Think about it - the fanbase would only have one complaint then (no Pokemon games) as opposed to a million problems with new Pokemon games.
---
you know the closer you get to something
the tougher it is to see it
#27InhaledCornPosted 8/21/2013 1:19:53 PM
Lone_Hunter posted...
Twilight_Sonata posted...
InhaledCorn posted...
If they remove them and turn them into EVs (and genetically "good" Pokemon would actually already have a little EV investment)

Ooh, that actually sounds like a really good idea. Instead of giving Pokemon IVs, any above level 1 caught in the wild already have some random EVs. This differentiates them, makes breeding not a complete pain in the ass, and even let's you "change" them with EV-lowering items.

That would be bad, that means only lvl 1 pokes would be worth anything because the rest could potentially be unusable. Such as an Alakazam with Attack EV's worthless.

You obviously missed the part about the "EV-Lowering Items". Those things already exist in-game with the Friendship Berries. They're reverse Vitamins. They remove 10 EVs from their indicated stat instead of adding them. You can "reset" a Pokemon just by feeding them friendship berries until they can't eat any more, then EV train as normal.

This would also make catching the one-off Legends all the easier since all you would have to worry about would be the Nature (since they usually only have one Ability available).

Trust me, if this was a thing, there really would be no excuses for hacking. The Mausda Method and the Shiny Charm makes getting Shinies all the easier. EV Training is easy with the Power items and Pokerus. The only tedious pat is the level grinding, but official tournaments auto-level all Pokemon above 50 to 50, so even that isn't that big of a deal (hopefully, they'll change the auto-leveling to 100 as they had in Gen 4 back as well so that Level Grinding is even more pointless).

I mean, I don't get why Nintendo games have to make things so much harder then they have to be. This actually discourages people from playing the games in many cases (it actually discouraged me from going online in Pokemon because I couldn't hack my game)

This isn't just a Gamefreak problem. Just look at Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Mario Kart through the years. The boost system was changed in MKWii to discourage Snaking. Blue Shells only get more powerful as the games go on. Several items are made to help the players in dead last, but nothing to help the guy in second get ahead of the guy in first. Tripping in Smash.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
I need to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door again...
#28PentaoPosted 8/21/2013 1:28:32 PM
Lone_Hunter posted...

There's a difference between getting rid of a random factor versus getting rid of customization available to everyone.
---
"Religion keeps pressing B when we try to evolve." - pirategeorge"
[3DS FC: 1934-0673-9848 (Pentao)]
#29Thepenguinking2Posted 8/21/2013 1:30:48 PM
Yes.
Extend the EV cap to something like 900 and some other number per stat, and that will remove all reasons to keep IVs.
---
Official Shadow Zangoose of the X board and Salamence of PGD!
ZANGOOSE for Smash 4! Also waiting on Zangoose's megalution, ZANSHRED!
#30GameNinjaGuyPosted 8/21/2013 1:41:17 PM
The argument that it makes each pokemon vary from another isn't really all that good, since the only people who would even notice that the pokemon have different stats for only that reason are into competitive and would rather they don't exist.
---
I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!