This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did You Cheat in the 2013 Global Showdown Tournament?

#31DarkKirby2500Posted 8/23/2013 9:13:40 PM
Nado6 posted...
But how do EVs accumulate, I thought there was a way to earn or train them

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/evs_ivs
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#32Nado6Posted 8/23/2013 9:15:36 PM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
Nado6 posted...
But how do EVs accumulate, I thought there was a way to earn or train them

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/evs_ivs

Thank you for the information :)
#33DarkKirby2500Posted 8/23/2013 9:25:36 PM(edited)
ThadBarr posted...
DarkKirby2500 posted...
It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.

No, it's not. In the real world, quite often ten innocent will be killed so that one guilty can go down with them. See:

And anyway, Nintendo's not going to execute you. They're just going to kick you out of the competition. I was at the 2012 fall regionals in Philadelphia, they booted a good 10% of the attendees. The two people seated on either side of me got nailed. I tried hard not to smirk.

Because it happens, doesn't make it acceptable. By that logic, everything the government does is acceptable just because they do it. In eSports (or normal sports for that matter), when someone cheats for example, and is accused of it, evidence and an explanation is provided as to why it was decided they cheated, to let people know the people making the decision are not just abusing their power.

Would it be fair to sports players if tons of them started being suspended for taking steroids, but there was no provided evidence as to why they were accused of it, or in fact, no explanation given as to why they were even accused?
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#34ThadBarrPosted 8/23/2013 9:53:01 PM
DarkKirby2500 posted...

Because it happens, doesn't make it acceptable.

No, but my point is that it does happen, and it is frequently acceptable. To be welcomed and desired even. Kurt Vonnegut may not have liked what happened during his stay in Dresden, but for everyone else that survived, it was a positive good. (It even worked out for him in the end. "One way or another, I got two or three dollars for every person killed.")

By that logic, everything the government does is acceptable just because they do it.
What?

In eSports (or normal sports for that matter), when someone cheats for example, and is accused of it, evidence and an explanation is provided as to why it was decided they cheated, to let people know the people making the decision are not just abusing their power.

Sorry, this isn't the NFL, there is no player's union, and Nintendo's lawyers and your lawyers are not going to hash it out in arbitration.

Would it be fair to sports players if tons of them started being suspended for taking steroids, but there was no provided evidence as to why they were accused of it, or in fact, no explanation given as to why they were even accused?

Be realistic. Were Nintendo to announce precisely how their cart checks worked, and exactly what they were checking for, the cheaters would be able to go about their hacking with that more skill and confidence.

You know this. The concept is not hard. The reason we have so much steroid abuse in sports--and as best I can tell, every single sport on the planet (with the possible exception of curling) is ruled by the juicers--is precisely because the athletes know what's being tested and where the lines are and when they will need to be clean and how to challenge the results when they are caught.

It's pathetically easy to roid up, and it's hard to get ahead if you don't. If we had a more opaque steroid testing system, we might have cleaner sports.

Kudos to Nintendo for at least trying every now and then to hammer down on the cheaters. The stupid, incompetent cheaters, anyway.
#35ThatGuyZPosted 8/23/2013 10:07:21 PM
Lexifox posted...
Where's the "No because I didn't compete" option?

---
At this point, only one word signifies me:..yes.
3DS: 5370-0900-3336/Wii-U: NewZen41
#36DarkKirby2500Posted 8/23/2013 10:33:37 PM(edited)
ThadBarr posted...

Be realistic. Were Nintendo to announce precisely how their cart checks worked, and exactly what they were checking for, the cheaters would be able to go about their hacking with that more skill and confidence.

You know this. The concept is not hard. The reason we have so much steroid abuse in sports--and as best I can tell, every single sport on the planet (with the possible exception of curling) is ruled by the juicers--is precisely because the athletes know what's being tested and where the lines are and when they will need to be clean and how to challenge the results when they are caught.

It's pathetically easy to roid up, and it's hard to get ahead if you don't. If we had a more opaque steroid testing system, we might have cleaner sports.

Kudos to Nintendo for at least trying every now and then to hammer down on the cheaters. The stupid, incompetent cheaters, anyway.

Despite how you have ignored much of what I wrote, I will say your reasoning, while true, doesn't make it fair to the public at large.

It's the exact reason the U.S. government has given as to why people were no allowed to know their 4th amendment rights were being violated, and still are being, violated, by PRISM, because it's easier to catch "terrorists" if they don't know where they are looking. It's the reasoning the U.S. government gave for why Snowden and Manning are "aiding terrorists" and destroying public relations, by revealing how the U.S. is massively abusing it's power destroying all privacy under rulings of top secret laws the public were not allowed to know, and are still not allowed to know, exist. People want an explanation and example of how PRISM is actually catching terrorists? They won't say, because if they told you who they actually caught with it and how they determined someone was a terrorist, it would make catching people harder. But if the government doesn't have to provide an explanation for who is considered a terrorist, they can accuse ANYONE of being one. Where lies the problem. You get accused? You get tossed in Guantanamo Bay for a undisclosed possibly indefinite period, without any reason given or a trail to try to prove yourself innocent. "Fair".
---
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#37LucasClausPosted 8/23/2013 11:24:10 PM
Those people who got banned must have been using some horribly hacked Pokemon, since the guy who ranked at #1 supposedly was using hacked Pokemon himself.

http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?31517-About-1500-people-are-banned-due-to-illegal-pokemon-at-Global-Showdown&p=170701&viewfull=1#post170701
---
i thought they were nameless orphans who climbed ice hoping to find a new guardian. - Zembaphobia on the Ice Climbers.
#38FuneralCakePosted 8/23/2013 11:26:10 PM
I RNGed, but I don't consider that cheating.
---
YOU WANT SOME FUNERAL TO GO WITH THAT CAKE?
i'm depending on a generator just to breathe in air
#39XWolfOPosted 8/23/2013 11:26:46 PM
No, I wasn't there, and if I was, my answer would have been no.
---
Don't hesitate. When the time comes, just act.
#40ThadBarrPosted 8/23/2013 11:41:09 PM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
Despite how you have ignored much of what I wrote,

I've been responding to everything that I can understand. Sometimes I have to abbreviate my comments, and sometimes I'm putting off certain inevitable arguments for later. Hopefully, this will cover everything, because I've been making cookies and watching a few "Let's Play" videos, and I'm done with both for tonight.

I will say your reasoning, while true, doesn't make it fair to the public at large.

You know how I'm going to respond here, right? I mean, you set this up for me.

Life is not fair.

You know that's accurate. You know that's true. What more need I say.

[T]he exact reason...why [is]...because it's easier to catch "terrorists" if they don't know where [we] are looking.

Which makes it not only "fair" in my book, but gloriously appropriate. I had to do some (unfair? hah!) editing, because we don't share the same opinion about the nature of the fourth amendment. But basically, we don't have to play fair with people who don't play fair.

It's the reasoning the U.S. government gave for why Snowden and Manning are "aiding terrorists"...

One's a high-school dropout, the other is a mentally-disturbed clown. If either had really caused any trouble, they'd have been strangled with their own intestines. They didn't really reveal anything, anyway. Apparently Ms. Manning didn't learn the definition of realpolitik in high school, and it seems no one but me watched the hearings with Admiral Poindexter back in 2002 about the plans for the IAO (Snowden was 19, he could have tuned in, it's not like he had to study for college).

None of this should have surprised anyone. None of this should bother anyone.

...But if the government doesn't have to provide an explanation for who is considered a terrorist, they can accuse ANYONE of being one. Where lies the problem.

But the government isn't accusing just anyone of being terrorists. It's just accusing terrorists of being terrorists. Which isn't a problem at all.

Nintendo kicks people out who break the rules. Sure, sometimes they didn't mean to do it. At 2012 Nationals, I was sitting by the charging stations when an eight-year wandered over, fuming that he'd been DQ'ed because he had Sky Drop on a 'mon. I was sympathetic. I almost made the same mistake at my first tournament, and caught it at the last second, right as I was walking to the registration desk. But yeah, kid, tough.

At Philadelphia, again, people didn't read the rules. Tons of BW2 moves, before they were permitted. People trusted when they shouldn't have. Badly hacked pokes they'd gotten from friends of friends. But I didn't hear anyone--not a single person--say, "Behold! I stand before you blameless, and demand my rights of habeus corpus!" Nope. All dirty. Some less so than others. But all dirty.

The real problem is that they don't kick out enough people.

Here's the kind of nonsense that I have to deal with at tourneys:

https://www.pokecheck.org/?bid=341606703841&text

I'm the guy from Tibet, natch. That really is me, this absolutely is a match from winter 2013 Orlando Regionals. It took me two 60 hour weeks to get those sad IVs, and I never could get my EVs perfected, because I always lose count somewhere. And I have to go up against Mr. I-Cloned-or-Hacked-Everything, with his Shiny Cresselia and 31X6 Excadrill. I still won, but come on, I got lucky. This is ridiculous.

Anyway, my recipe for Whiskey Cookies, to close everything out.

1 cup crushed vanilla wafers
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup chopped nuts
100 ml whiskey
2 tablespoons light Karo syrup

Mix wafers, nuts, syrup, and whiskey. Shape into 1/2" balls. Roll in powdered sugar. Do not bake!