This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Here are all of my ideas to deepen and improve breeding (TL;DR Warning)

#1PheonixFFire7Posted 8/22/2013 10:08:01 PM
-Hatching-
Every species has an optimal time of year where conditions are perfect for a healthy stock of offspring. A good breeder will keep this in mind, as it can greatly speed up the rate of hatching eggs. Pokémon who breed during their preferred season will not only yield offspring quicker, but those eggs they produce will hatch quicker as well. Most Pokémon prefer the Spring and Summer seasons, but there are certain groups that excel during the colder months, too. Here is a list of each season with the corresponding Egg Groups associated with them:

Autumn: Flying, Amorphous, Monster
Winter: Humanshape, Mineral, Water 3
Spring: Plant, Bug, Fairy, Water 1
Summer: Field, Dragon, Water 2
*If a Pokémon belongs to two Egg Groups that have different breeding seasons, they gain breeding bonuses during both seasons.

Bonuses for acquiring Eggs:
-When it’s the preferred season for one of the parents: +15% chance of producing an egg.
-When it’s the preferred season for both parents: +30% chance of producing an egg.
-These effects stack with other factors that increase the likelihood of eggs being produced.

Bonuses for hatching eggs:
-If an Egg is obtained during one of the parent’s preferred season: Reduces the amount of steps by 20%
-If an Egg is obtained during both parent’s preferred season: Reduces the amount of steps by 40%
-These effects stack with the effects of Flame Body and Magma Armor.

-Natures-
Offspring will now inherit natures from their parents more naturally. By taking one part from their mother, and one part from their father, the offspring will have a new nature while still retaining elements from both parents. A good breeder will map this out to guarantee the desired outcome.

A) Female – Offspring inherits mother’s “red” stat.
Naďve (+Speed, -Sp.Def)

Bred with…

B) Male – Offspring inherits father’s “blue” stat.
Adamant (+Attack, -Sp.Atk)

Results in…

C) Offspring
Jolly (+Speed, -Sp.Atk)

By utilizing this new mechanic, breeders can find good pairs to breed Pokémon with specific natures, without the need of an Everstone. This means that one of the parents held item slots would now be freed up for something more useful, such as a Power Item. However, the Everstone would still function exactly as it does now, and override this natural effect. This way you can still get the nature you want, even if you don’t have the necessary pair to get the desired nature.

-Abilities-
Breeding for Abilities would function similarly to how it already does, but with some tweaks. The female has an 80% chance of passing down her ability (or more precisely, the Ability “slot” that she’s using), but the remaining 20% chance is for the male’s ability. So, if both parents have the same Ability, then there would be a 100% chance of the offspring inheriting that Ability.

A) Lucario (Female)
Justified – (Slot 3) 80% chance to pass down.

Bred with…

B) Lucario (Male)
Justified – (Slot 3) 20% chance to pass down.

Results in…

C) Riolu
Prankster – (Slot 3) 100% of the time.

Keep in mind that it’s the Ability SLOT being passed, not the actual Ability itself. So something like this won’t work the same:

A) Scrafty (Female)
Intimidate – (Slot 3) 80% chance to pass down.

Bred with…

B) Salamence (Male)
Intimidate – (Slot 1) 20% chance to pass down.

Results in…

C) Scraggy
1) Intimidate – (Slot 3) 80% of the time.
2) Shed Skin – (Slot 1) 20% of the time.
3) Moxie – (Slot 2) 0% of the time.

Since the Ability slots are different, the effects do not stack, even though they both have Intimidate. However, this can still be useful for eliminating the chance of a third ability from popping up, if it isn’t desired.
#2PheonixFFire7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2013 10:08:42 PM
-IV’s-
When breeding, the game now checks the IV’s from both parents and passes down IV’s to the offspring based on a list of priorities.

1) The game checks if either parent is holding a Power Item, and automatically passes down the IV(s) for that stat. This step supersedes every other step.
2) The game checks for any other held item other than Power Items that might affect IV’s, and applies their effects.
3) The game checks for any stats with an IV of 31, and passes down a maximum of three of those IV’s. The ones chosen are picked at random (if there are more than 3 to pull from).
4) The game checks for the highest IV that isn’t 31 from either parent, and passes that down.
5) The game checks for the lowest IV from either parent, and passes that down.
6) Once all the above steps are completed, and the offspring still has stats without IV’s, the game will randomize the remaining IV’s for the offspring.

Here’s an example following these steps:

Female @ Power Weight
HP: 31
ATK: 6
DEF: 24
SpA: 15
SpD: 31
SPE: 19

Male @ Nothing
HP: 7
ATK: 19
DEF: 29
SpA: 31
SpD: 14
SPE: 31

Offspring’s IV’s
HP: 31 (Chosen by step 1)
ATK: 6 (Chosen by step 5)
DEF: 29 (Chosen by step 4)
SpA: 31 (Chosen by step 3)
SpD: 31 (Chosen by step 3)
SPE: 31 (Chosen by step 3)

By combining two parents with 31 IV’s in stats that don’t overlap with each other, and by using a Power Item (or two), a good breeder has the ability to pass down a guaranteed 4-5 perfect IV’s. With this new system, breeders will actually be REWARDED for knowing how to properly match up their Pokémon for breeding, instead of being completely at the mercy of dice rolls.

-Held Items-
More held item effects would be added to the breeding process to give breeders even more tools to achieve the best results. Some possibilities:

Lucky Egg – Steps required to hatch eggs created by the Pokémon is reduced by half.
Soothe Bell – Base happiness of offspring is doubled.
Macho Brace – Offspring always inherit the IV in whatever stat the parent has the highest amount of EV’s in.
Destiny Knot – Offspring will always be the same gender as the parent, as long as both parents are of the same species.
Dubious Disk – Genderless offspring are born with the cured Pokerus virus.
Up-Grade – Genderless offspring are born with 255 EV’s in the stat boosted by its nature.
Blue Scarf – Offspring hatch with 100 Speed EV’s.
Green Scarf – Offspring hatch with 100 Sp.Def EV’s.
Pink Scarf – Offspring hatch with 100 Sp.Atk EV’s.
Red Scarf – Offspring hatch with 100 Attack EV’s.
Yellow Scarf – Offspring hatch with 100 Defense EV’s.
Silk Scarf – Offspring hatch with 100 HP EV’s.
Full Incense – Offspring are born with a 31 HP IV, but Speed IV is always 0.
Luck Incense – Offspring are born with 31 Speed IV, but HP IV is always 0.
Rock Incense – Offspring are born with 31 Defense IV, but Sp.Def IV is always 0.
Odd Incense – Offspring are born with 31 Sp.Def IV, but Defense IV is always 0.
Rose Incense – Offspring are born with 31 Sp.Atk IV, but Attack IV is always 0.
Pure Incense – Offspring are born with 31 Attack IV, but Sp.Atk IV is always 0.
Wave Incense – Offspring are born with 30 Attack and Sp.Atk IV’s.
Lax Incense – Offspring are born with 30 Defense and Sp.Def IV’s.
Sea Incense – Offspring are born with 30 HP and Speed IV’s.
*Effects of Power Items override the effects of other held items that affect IV’s.
#3PheonixFFire7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2013 10:09:12 PM
Final Results
Taking everything from above, here’s an example of what could be achieved by utilizing all of these features to their fullest.

Eevee (Female) @ Lucky Egg
[Field Egg Group] - Summer
Hasty (+Speed, -Defense)
Anticipation – (Slot 3)
Moves: Baton Pass
HP: 24
ATK: 7
DEF: 15
SpA: 31
SpD: 11
SPE: 31
{Hidden Power: Dragon 69}

Bred with…

Smeargle (Male) @ Power Weight
[Field Egg Group] - Summer
Bold (+Defense, -Attack)
Moody – (Slot 3)
Moves: Wish, Baton Pass, Stored Power, Yawn
HP: 30
ATK: 26
DEF: 30
SpA: 17
SpD: 31
SPE: 22
{Hidden Power: Electric 59}

Results in…

Eevee
[+30% chance of receiving an Egg] stacks to 50%
-Seasonal Bonus for both parents: -40% to steps needed to hatch (5508 steps)
-Flame Body Pokémon in the lead: -50% to steps needed to hatch (2754 steps)
-Lucky Egg item held: Halves the number of steps needed to hatch (1377 steps)
Timid (+Speed, -Attack) 100% chance
Anticipation – (Slot 3) 100% chance
Moves: Wish, Baton Pass, Stored Power, Yawn
HP: 30 (Chosen with step 1)
ATK: 7 (Chosen with step 5)
DEF: 30 (Chosen with step 4)
SpA: 31 (Chosen with step 3)
SpD: 31 (Chosen with step 3)
SPE: 31 (Chosen with step 3)
{Hidden Power: Ice 70}
#4ChaosMew161Posted 8/22/2013 10:20:08 PM
4 posts dedicated to laying out an idea map? That's the very definition of "too much time on your hands".

Also, I agree with these ideas.
---
When it comes to Pokemon, I like Generation V over Generation I. Flame me.
3DS Friend Code: 2406-5121-4760 (PM me if you added me with your FC!)
#5Gsus_94Posted 8/22/2013 10:26:46 PM
I like these ideas. They are realistic. You still have to work for IVs, but it's entirely manageable rather as opposed to what we have now where only by having perfect parents can we expect just 3 max IVs.
---
3DS FC: 0473 7779 6792
ACNL: Melo from Besaid
#6PheonixFFire7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2013 10:30:16 PM
ChaosMew161 posted...
4 posts dedicated to laying out an idea map? That's the very definition of "too much time on your hands".

Also, I agree with these ideas.

Well, these are all ideas i have written down or thought about during the generations. This is just the first time I compiled them into one place.

But yeah, I didn't have much to do today lol.
#7ShadowShirePosted 8/22/2013 10:35:30 PM
I will have to admit that those are very interesting ideas. It's lengthy, but people could easily utilize this. If Gamefreak had something like this I wonder how most of the players will react. Nice job TC!
#8kraznk1dPosted 8/22/2013 10:38:15 PM
All legendaries should have perfect IVs then.
#9BalloonBattle05Posted 8/22/2013 10:43:06 PM
Better solution: IV's can now be raised with Vitamins, and lowered with the berries that reduced EV's.

Bam, everything's solved. IV's can be controlled, even for unbreedable Pokémon, *cough*SnorlaxwithCurseandSelfdestruct*cough* and that's easier to program. than this complicated way. Abilities and Natures were completely fine since Emerald.
---
A GameFAQs user from August 1, 2010 to March 27, 2012.
Known as Megaleg back then.
#10smokinace829Posted 8/22/2013 10:49:48 PM
Great ideas. I especially like the ideas of the incense.
---
"If you are going through hell, keep going - Winston Churchill"
GT : Brutal Tw0