This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are the Unova starters considered the worst?

#1GangstaLizard95Posted 8/23/2013 4:34:38 PM
I mean they're not the best but they are not the worst. The worst set of starters I considered the worst is the Johto starters. I mean their stat distributions are the same as the Kanto starters, just in different places. Heck, Typhlosion has the exact same base stats as Charizard.
#2cloud_8f8fPosted 8/23/2013 4:35:26 PM
GangstaLizard95 posted...
I mean they're not the best but they are not the worst. The worst set of starters I considered the worst is the Johto starters. I mean their stat distributions are the same as the Kanto starters, just in different places. Heck, Typhlosion has the exact same base stats as Charizard.

I love the Unova Starters. I consider the Hoenn starters to be the worst.
---
Official Cloud Strife of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy Board
#32vNiEp1Posted 8/23/2013 4:36:05 PM
Well, I guess compared to the Sinnoh starters they were a huge letdown.
---
3DS FC : 2809-8175-8115
BlackJack & VIP
#4Immortal_Chaos7Posted 8/23/2013 4:37:29 PM
cloud_8f8f posted...

I heard you dislike Mudkipz... Blaziken shall smite thee!
---
Pokemon Diamond-Name:Jack / FC:0043-9308-0032
#5GangstaLizard95(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 4:37:38 PM
cloud_8f8f posted...

I disagree with that comment with the Hoenn starters.
#6Sun-n-OarsPosted 8/23/2013 4:39:52 PM
I think mostly because they are considered ugly
---
Name:Sky. 3DSFC: 2063-0569-3767
ACNL dream address: 4300-2649-9522
#7ZTIger5Posted 8/23/2013 4:40:59 PM(edited)
Serperior = Sacrifices attack power for defense and speed. Very restricted movepool. Pure Grass when could have been Poison or Dragon

Emboar = 3rd Fire/Fighting starter consecutively. Ugly. Slow with bad defenses. Could have been Ground or Dark instead.

Samurott = "Looks too different from its pre-evos" (I disagree on this point). Pure Water when it could have been Fighting. Speed and defenses are only slightly better than Emboar's with more HP and less attack power.

I love Serperior and Samurott, but you have to accept their faults.
---
Playing) FE: Awakening, Guild Wars 2. Skyrim, Pokemon White 2, Harvest Moon 11
Waiting) Pokemon XY, Batman: Arkham Origins, Titanfall, PvZ Garden Warfare
#8TyranidomegaPosted 8/23/2013 4:41:17 PM
The only reasons I agree on:
-Lackluster in stats, somewhat
-Emboar being another fire/fight. Even I sighed when I saw its type on Serebii.

That said. In terms of designs, I like Serperior and Samurott, with Emboar being okay.

2vNiEp1 posted...

This too. So basically: they suck usable wise, but design wise they're fine
---
Official hot fudge sundae of the IDF
Official Hydreigon of the Pokemon B/W 2 Boards.
#9PentaoPosted 8/23/2013 4:42:08 PM
After Dream World abilities, Feraligatr is a lot better (still a worse Gyarados), Typhlosion at least has it's niche as an Eruption user, Meganium however is still considered the worst starter IIRC.

Emboar is too slow and it doesn't have good defenses, Infernape and Blaziken do it's job better.

Samurott and Serperior aren't terrible, and are roughly around the Johto starters in terms of usefulness, where contrarian Serp is actually pretty nifty (but still has a terrible movepool). Samurott's the best out of the Unova starters outside of DW, but it's just not particularly good at anything.

They're overall just not very strong.
---
"Religion keeps pressing B when we try to evolve." - pirategeorge"
[3DS FC: 1934-0673-9848 (Pentao)]
#10ZTIger5Posted 8/23/2013 4:43:28 PM
2vNiEp1 posted...

That's certainly part of it. I only really used Torterra (which is amazing) and Empoleon, but I always hear about how Infernape is a step above Blaziken. I don't use it because I don't like monkeys... Or pigs, for that matter.
---
Playing) FE: Awakening, Guild Wars 2. Skyrim, Pokemon White 2, Harvest Moon 11
Waiting) Pokemon XY, Batman: Arkham Origins, Titanfall, PvZ Garden Warfare