This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Hidden Machines" and "Technical Machines"

#1occonoPosted 8/23/2013 5:21:12 PM
Why are they named like that? Was it something more meaningful in Japanese?
#2GBeastMegamanBXPosted 8/23/2013 5:31:33 PM
I guess because TM's are moves that certain pokemon can learn, but it isn't part of their "growth" aka level up move set while HM's are moves that said pokemon should know as it is something passive to certain pokemon, but it is just hidden within them until they "learn" to use it.
---
"I noticed your beautiful hair right away" - Minato to Kushina
#3vital_tundraPosted 8/23/2013 5:34:22 PM
GBeastMegamanBX posted...
I guess because TM's are moves that certain pokemon can learn, but it isn't part of their "growth" aka level up move set while HM's are moves that said pokemon should know as it is something passive to certain pokemon, but it is just hidden within them until they "learn" to use it.

And thats why HM's shouldn't take up an attack slot...
---
3DS friend code: 1848-2159-5405 (Richie)
#4fdtlPosted 8/23/2013 5:35:03 PM
Technical as in, an technique. They're machines that teach new techniques. Hidden just mean that the machine's rare and special.

JP names were Move Machine and Secret Machine btw.
#5Nomorice4UPosted 8/23/2013 5:36:05 PM
Aren't they supposed to be something akin to ROMs with educational contents...? Calling them CDs or Disk or floppy (brings back so much good times) probably wasn't enhancing pokemon mytho so they went with machines.

/theory directly from poo hole
---
Capcom All Star dream team - Dr. Wily/Devilot/Donovan or Rouge/Talbain/Megaman(any)
#6Kimarhi RonsoPosted 8/23/2013 5:45:58 PM(edited)
In the Japanese version they're Technique Machine and Secret Machine, so basically the same thing.

I don't think the English version's word choices are the best, though; TMs should technically be "Move Machine" anyway to be consistent with the terminology, and I have a feeling they only went with "Hidden Machine" because the Japanese word is hiden and they felt like being funny.

Although at least they weren't outright changed like a lot of items/moves.
---
"Welcome to Bururaji! This is Ragna the Bloodedge, Sugita Tomokazu! HARDCORE! HARDCORE!" - Sugita Tomokazu, BlazBlue Radio
#7paiprPosted 8/23/2013 5:45:57 PM
technical machine = a technique the pokemon can use in battle.

hidden machines = a pokemons hidden "ability" it can use out of battle.

least thats how i always took it..... i wonder if there was ever a point during gen 1 that hms were gonna be the way most people want them to be now, a non-battle hidden "ability" that doesnt take up a move slot.
---
dandelion + flabebe + fairy wind = saddest moment in pokemon.
3ds fc. jd, 0602-6823-9646 or 0146.9112.0071
#8GBeastMegamanBXPosted 8/23/2013 5:55:28 PM
vital_tundra posted...
GBeastMegamanBX posted...

And thats why HM's shouldn't take up an attack slot...

Yup, they shouldn't. If you think about it, needing a "badge" just to be able to use a HM makes it seem like the Pokemon League are evil. They sealed all pokemon's passive ability to fly, cut, dive, etc and sealed into into badges, and if you beat their 8 minions (gym leaders) and unlock the ability to use the last HM, you can fight them and then become their unrecognized leader lol
---
#9Kimarhi RonsoPosted 8/23/2013 6:35:49 PM
^ Badges are like power amplifiers. I assume the idea is that a pokemon is unable to use an HM move in certain ways without the power increase. (Like a flying pokemon can't carry a human without the power boost.)
---
"Welcome to Bururaji! This is Ragna the Bloodedge, Sugita Tomokazu! HARDCORE! HARDCORE!" - Sugita Tomokazu, BlazBlue Radio
#10GBeastMegamanBXPosted 8/24/2013 2:10:51 AM
Kimarhi Ronso posted...
^ Badges are like power amplifiers. I assume the idea is that a pokemon is unable to use an HM move in certain ways without the power increase. (Like a flying pokemon can't carry a human without the power boost.)

I find it hard to think that a Wailord can't surf or Rayquaza can't fly or Scyther can't cut a tree unless they get this power boost. You need a certain badge to high level pokemon will obey you, the badges really sound more like a control device than power amplifier
---