This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Okay, so there is an IV man in most modern Pokemon games

#113121987Posted 8/23/2013 5:48:43 PM
Okay, so there is an IV man in most modern Pokemon games

They don't exactly tell you what IVs ur Pokémon have, but they say things like ur Pokémon's potential is decent or blah blah right?

So as a kid that don't know about IVs or EVs, wouldn't he be unhappy to find out his Pokémon is not the best. Then went on the train it hard but only to realise what the IV man says never changes.

What is Gamefreak trying to portray here? Once a wimp, always a wimp? U can't improve? I know about genetics, but not allowing room for improvement while putting in a judge to judge ur Pokémon just doesn't seem right in a kids game that is all about raising monsters to their full potential!!!

I hope in X and Y, they give Pokémon who don't have max IVs, extra EV points that is only allowed to be trained in the stat that they lack IV in, so they can recover their loss.

Seriously, there's already Nature so what's the point of IVs besides differentiating Pokémon from one another and determining Hidden Power. I don't think players care to differentiate Pokémon from one another if they know their Pokémon are not the best...
#2InhaledCornPosted 8/23/2013 5:55:13 PM
That is the point of IVs. They're supposed to make each Pokemon look unique in theory. For example, you have two Rattata at the same level with Adamant Natures, but one has 51Atk but the other has 60. Clearly, one Ratatta is better than the other.

However, EVs, for those who don't even know such a thing exists, can pretty much do the same thing if you don't focus them like people who know about them do.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
I need to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door again...
#313121987(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 6:00:40 PM
The problem is u can't improve their them.

And it just feel crappy that almost all end game trainers have Pokémon with max IVs or near max. How hard do u have to work to get a Pokémon with decent IVs and nature without RNG abuse?

Last I tried in Diamond and Pearl before they introduced the held item trick, it took an average of a month to breed just one Pokémon with decent IVs and the right nature. Dun even get me started on Hidden Power.
#4InhaledCornPosted 8/23/2013 6:01:58 PM
13121987 posted...

And it just feel crappy that almost all end game trainers have Pokémon with max IVs or near max. How hard do u have to work to get a Pokémon with decent IVs and nature without RNG abuse?

Last I tried in Diamond and Pearl before they introduced the held item trick, it took an average of a month to breed just one Pokémon with decent IVs and the right nature. Dun even get me started on Hidden Power.

Which is why people often Pokegen to avoid all the hassle to get one decent Poke out of thousands.
---
3DS FC: 2578-3118-6645 PSN: PowahBoxers
I need to play Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door again...
#513121987(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2013 6:05:27 PM
InhaledCorn posted...
13121987 posted...

Which is why people often Pokegen to avoid all the hassle to get one decent Poke out of thousands.

There shouldn't be a need to use outside devices to play a game on even field with others. That's the fault of IVs.
#6PentaoPosted 8/23/2013 6:09:39 PM
You pretty much covered it, sans competitive factors.

+The concept IVs attempt to tackle is already done by other factors.
+It can leave a negative impression on children, who make up a wide amount of the audience.
+They aren't fun to do, and are incredibly time consuming for those who want "better" Pokemon.
+It inadvertently promotes hacking.
---
"Religion keeps pressing B when we try to evolve." - pirategeorge"
[3DS FC: 1934-0673-9848 (Pentao)]
#7SuperRup91Posted 8/23/2013 6:12:33 PM
13121987 posted...

What is Gamefreak trying to portray here? Once a wimp, always a wimp? U can't improve? I know about genetics, but not allowing room for improvement while putting in a judge to judge ur Pokémon just doesn't seem right in a kids game that is all about raising monsters to their full potential!!!

Let me start by saying that I am in no way trying to support keeping IVs inflexible. But the difference between IVs and EVs is that IVs are natural limitations which cannot be overcome. EVs, which accounts for the most significant increase in stats, is what would be considered natural improvement. Some people are going to be better than others at certain things no matter how much effort is put in (IVs). That is life. But, while one individual might never equal or exceed another, they can still vastly improve themselves if they put enough effort into it (EVs).