This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do people think that the Johto games were the best games?

#11flamethrowalrusPosted 8/25/2013 8:37:32 AM
I like the Pokemon, the gym leaders and the old Japan vibe. You take all that, put it in a better region? Bam. Favorite game. Well, for gym leaders I only liked Whitney, Morty, Chuck, Jasmine and Clair. The other three can rot.
---
~Woop Woop Chicken Soup~
#12Mewtwo_soulPosted 8/25/2013 8:43:42 AM(edited)
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
Alrediph posted...
Gen IV is widely regarded (and rightfully so) to have been the pinnacle of the Pokémon series. No one thinks Johto games were the best. Where did you get that from?

Not here they aren't (and rightfully so)

The only thing Gen IV did right was HGSS and its amazing, beautiful music.

Yeah, but most accounts pinning on Gen III are alt accounts or joke accounts praising Gen III.

>.>

Gen IV also made the special/Physical attack split which was amazing.

---

Gen II had many things going for it aside from the main game which are always a joke. IT introduced many of the main revolutionary mechanics (Items, breeding, Move deleter, Move tutor, Battle Tower, etc.)

Gen I was the Foundation, Gen II the revolution, Gen III the reboot, gen IV the refiner, gen V... I'm not sure what you'd call it... Gen VI Revolution II?

Edit: Forgot to mention Steel and Dark type to Gen II
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#13OsrangerPosted 8/25/2013 8:44:35 AM
I am, what is it? A Hoennbabby? Johto is still my favorite region.

It has its flaws. I accept that. It is small, and it is annoying trying to get pokemon higher than level 20something for a large chunk of the game.

It cannot be considered without Kanto because it is such a large part of the game. If Johto was by itself, yes, it would be lacking, but it isn't. Kanto is there and it makes the game much better.

It has an actual post game ending with a battle with the former protagonist.

Its small map, but that has its own advantage. It had a very different feel then Kanto did, which was essentially a very fancy circle. Everything had a connected, open feel. It was an interesting for them, after halfway through the game, to include branching paths. It didn't work out the best, but it is still another thing that gives it a different feel from many of the other regions.

Introduced Lugia.
Introduced Donphan.
Had many of my favorite pokemon obtainable. About half of them are from Kanto region.

Had the toughest Gym Leader ever (Whitney)
---
If you can read this, you are in range
#14Chaos_MissilePosted 8/25/2013 8:44:42 AM
Alrediph posted...
Gen IV is widely regarded (and rightfully so) to have been the pinnacle of the Pokémon series. No one thinks Johto games were the best. Where did you get that from?

Because HG/SS, which is also ironically, linked to Gen 2.

Basically, "Gen 2 best gen? And remade in Gen 4? Gen 4 BEST GEN EVER!"
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#15JarickoPosted 8/25/2013 9:14:02 AM
Chaos_Missile posted...
Alrediph posted...

Because HG/SS, which is also ironically, linked to Gen 2.

Basically, "Gen 2 best gen? And remade in Gen 4? Gen 4 BEST GEN EVER!"

I wont give gen 4 full credit for what gen 2 did. And the other gen 4 games sucked in my opinion so gen 4 does not deserve that title.
---
I like Lances!
#16lordlugia_rocksPosted 8/25/2013 9:23:28 AM
G/S/C introduced some damn awesome stuff like breeding but imo it was the worst in-game experience.

Johto is filled with 90% Kanto pokemon for whatever reason and I can't even get Slugma or Murkrow until I go to Kanto which really makes you wonder how the hell the people in Kanto didn't notice there were more than 151 pokemon. Team Rocket is just downright pathetic and make them look like an even bigger joke as if Jesse and James weren't enough, Kanto is just so watered down that I'd rather it not be in there so it couldn't rape my favorite region any longer, and everyone is just so underleveled that by the time i get to Kanto which is full of 60's i'm still in my 40's.

It's lucky it was the second generation so that way it was extremely easy to add tons of neat things to pokemon compared to later generations, and it's lucky it has the coolest protagonists/cover legends.
---
#RememberTheManticore - SMITE
"I'll bait you and outsmart you" - nobody important
#17P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 8/25/2013 9:27:36 AM
Mewtwo_soul posted...
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
Alrediph posted...

Not here they aren't (and rightfully so)

The only thing Gen IV did right was HGSS and its amazing, beautiful music.

Yeah, but most accounts pinning on Gen III are alt accounts or joke accounts praising Gen III.

>.>

Gen IV also made the special/Physical attack split which was amazing.

---

Gen II had many things going for it aside from the main game which are always a joke. IT introduced many of the main revolutionary mechanics (Items, breeding, Move deleter, Move tutor, Battle Tower, etc.)

Gen I was the Foundation, Gen II the revolution, Gen III the reboot, gen IV the refiner, gen V... I'm not sure what you'd call it... Gen VI Revolution II?

Edit: Forgot to mention Steel and Dark type to Gen II

I forgot about the physical/special split :'(

And, as for the Gen III stuff, I think it's best if we don't even open that door right now.

Mine would go like this:

Gen I is the foundation, Gen II the bonus pack, Gen III the soft reboot, Gen IV the refiner, Gen V the hard reboot.
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#18SgtCashmerePosted 8/25/2013 9:29:05 AM
I played Pokemon Gold recently, and I agree with the OP - Johto was definitely not the best region in the franchise.
#19dwdwdw6Posted 8/25/2013 9:30:07 AM
Um, Platinum is the best Pokemon game.
#20LexifoxPosted 8/25/2013 9:59:29 AM
G/S/C did a lot to improve the mechanics, but they were pretty bad games outside of this.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod