This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do people think that the Johto games were the best games?

#21NessEggmanPosted 8/25/2013 10:01:34 AM
Mediocre high-profile game you played when you were 12 years old = BEST CLASSIC EVER

Doesn't necessarily have to be Pokémon 2, it can be anything.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515
#22flamethrowalrusPosted 8/25/2013 10:02:55 AM
NessEggman posted...
Mediocre high-profile game you played when you were 12 years old = BEST CLASSIC EVER

Doesn't necessarily have to be Pokémon 2, it can be anything.

This only applies if you haven't played it recently. I played Gold again a few weeks a go and I liked it better then when I was a kid.
---
~Woop Woop Chicken Soup~
#23mexicannon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 10:12:26 AM
My question is that why did they have to include Kanto in the first place?
#24Mewtwo_soulPosted 8/25/2013 10:20:13 AM
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
Mewtwo_soul posted...
Alrediph posted...
Gen IV is widely regarded (and rightfully so) to have been the pinnacle of the Pokémon series. No one thinks Johto games were the best. Where did you get that from?

Not here they aren't (and rightfully so)

The only thing Gen IV did right was HGSS and its amazing, beautiful music.

Yeah, but most accounts pinning on Gen III are alt accounts or joke accounts praising Gen III.

>.>

Gen IV also made the special/Physical attack split which was amazing.

---

Gen II had many things going for it aside from the main game which are always a joke. IT introduced many of the main revolutionary mechanics (Items, breeding, Move deleter, Move tutor, Battle Tower, etc.)

Gen I was the Foundation, Gen II the revolution, Gen III the reboot, gen IV the refiner, gen V... I'm not sure what you'd call it... Gen VI Revolution II?

Edit: Forgot to mention Steel and Dark type to Gen II

I forgot about the physical/special split :'(

And, as for the Gen III stuff, I think it's best if we don't even open that door right now.

Mine would go like this:

Gen I is the foundation, Gen II the bonus pack, Gen III the soft reboot, Gen IV the refiner, Gen V the hard reboot.

Oh, I'm not saying Gen III isn't or doesn't have fans, but you can tell the overly cheerful reception on this site whenever it's mentioned and the dramtic poll results something is up.

Especially when one guy appears and all of a sudden 100 votes out of nowhere, within a few seconds.

>.> Would also like to add I'm on plenty of Pokemon sites, and reception for Gen III is never as good as it is on Game Faqs. Though I haven't been on Serebii recently so who knows maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think so.

Then there's also the fact that those with nostalgia mainly stay with Gen I and Gen II. (Of the casual crowd)
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#25Mewtwo_soulPosted 8/25/2013 10:21:15 AM
mexicannon posted...
My question is that why did they have to include Kanto in the first place?

Two potential answers:

1) They wanted a conclusion or continuation for the characters from Gen I. (Why Red/etc. are brought up)

2) they thought it might not continue forever, so they decided to make sure most everything was finished in one sense or another or continued from.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#26Archwing3441Posted 8/25/2013 10:28:02 AM(edited)

Gen I is the foundation, Gen II the bonus pack, Gen III the soft reboot, Gen IV the refiner, Gen V the hard reboot.

I would consider Gen III the hard reboot and Gen V the soft reboot because Gen III made massive changes between Gen II and Gen III. Gen V made mostly aesthetic changes which is fine but it doesn't really change the gameplay too much (I think the only significant thing Gen V added was dreamworld abilities and balloon, you know, besides many new pokemon).

Mewtwo_soul posted...
Alrediph posted...
Gen IV is widely regarded (and rightfully so) to have been the pinnacle of the Pokémon series. No one thinks Johto games were the best. Where did you get that from?

Yeah, but most accounts pinning on Gen III are alt accounts or joke accounts praising Gen III.

>.>

---

Gen II had many things going for it aside from the main game which are always a joke. IT introduced many of the main revolutionary mechanics (Items, breeding, Move deleter, Move tutor, Battle Tower, etc.)

Gen I was the Foundation, Gen II the revolution, Gen III the reboot, gen IV the refiner, gen V... I'm not sure what you'd call it... Gen VI Revolution II?

You do know most of the things describe Gen , not the regions. Frankly, I hated Sinnoh, for having the stupid mountain you have to keep passing through, to the new HMs that were added.
---
Nintendo? PlayStation? no...
http://mangafox.me/manga/mel_kano/v03/c016/27.html
#27AlrediphPosted 8/25/2013 10:29:17 AM
Alrediph posted...

Oh. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Don't worry. We all pass through similar stages. Your taste will mature in due time.
#28JKPhagePosted 8/25/2013 10:29:56 AM
Silver was always my favorite pokemon game, and it wasn't anything to do with nostalgia either. I loved pokemon red/blue and when gold/silver came out, I liked it even more. Yes, it has its flaws, but on the whole I enjoyed the plot-line more than the first game and it was a bit more subtle than games that came after it (You're stopping a criminal organization that used to be bad but got even worse after the somewhat honorable leader stepped down, not stopping some world-ending crisis that never quite felt as climactic as it should), plus I enjoyed the new gym leaders and the new set of pokemon. That's not to say that I'm one of those nostalgia freaks that thinks everything after gen 2 is trash, though. I thoroughly enjoy most of the pokemon that came in subsequent generations and the new mechanics they introduced with later games. I also loved the fact that it allowed you to return to an accurate recreation of Kanto to run the gym circuit on a high-level and also catch some more pokemon and do some cool side-quests.

All that said, I think, so far, SoulSilver takes the cake for my favorite pokemone game. It takes what I considered to be the best of the bunch in terms of story and general feel, and added in new features of the series to bring it up to date, as well as including the walking pokemon mechanic that I LOVED, plus being able to aquire all of the pokemon up through gen 4. The only thing that would have made it better in my eyes was if they had waited just a bit longer to release until after B+W and included all of the gen 5 pokemon as well, but that's a small gripe honestly.

I'm genuinely looking forward to X/Y like I haven't looked forward to a game in a long time. It may not have the walking pokemone mechanic, which is sad but understandable, but with the expanded gameplay, 3d graphics, pokemon amie, mega-evolution, trainer customization and all the fun new things plus a full story and brand new set of pokemon that so far is shaping up to be pretty awesome in my opinion, I'd be more than happy to set aside old preferences and proclaim them as my new faves. I'm not set in my ways, I just know what I like, and so far SoulSilver has delivered those things where other games have not. If Z comes out and features the walking pokemon mechanic, though, I think it won't even be an option at that point. Being able to stroll around Kalos (and if gamefreak wants to be really nice, perhaps an extra post-game area/region with some substantial gameplay) with my customized trainer with my Blastoise trotting along behind me would be the pinnacle of the pokemon experience for me.
#29Mewtwo_soulPosted 8/25/2013 10:31:49 AM
Archwing3441 posted...

I would consider Gen III the hard reboot and Gen V the soft reboot because Gen III made massive changes between Gen II and Gen III. Gen V made mostly aesthetic changes which is fine but it doesn't really change the gameplay too much (I think the only significant thing Gen V added was dreamworld abilities and balloon, you know, besides many new pokemon).

Mewtwo_soul posted...
Alrediph posted...

>.>

---

You do know most of the things describe Gen , not the regions. Frankly, I hated Sinnoh, for having the stupid mountain you have to keep passing through, to the new HMs that were added.

If directed at me, I understand they describe the gen, but a gen affiliation will lead people to like one generation over another.

I don't really blame people who love Gen II or the overpopularity of it and Gen I. (Thanks to casuals fans and crowd.)
---
#30P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 8/25/2013 10:34:25 AM
Archwing3441 posted...

I had said that because Black and White acted more as a "new generation's Kanto", while Hoenn did include some old pokemon while you went through the region.

The two could be inter-changable, because 3 added a ton and had no backwards compatibility, and I just didn't want to say they were both the same type of reboots

Mewtwo_soul posted...
Oh, I'm not saying Gen III isn't or doesn't have fans, but you can tell the overly cheerful reception on this site whenever it's mentioned and the dramtic poll results something is up.

Especially when one guy appears and all of a sudden 100 votes out of nowhere, within a few seconds.

>.> Would also like to add I'm on plenty of Pokemon sites, and reception for Gen III is never as good as it is on Game Faqs. Though I haven't been on Serebii recently so who knows maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't think so.

Then there's also the fact that those with nostalgia mainly stay with Gen I and Gen II. (Of the casual crowd)

I had mainly just meant that I didn't want this to turn into a Gen war. And it's funny, because for me, everyone that I know pretty much loved Gen III (except for one of my friends who loves Gen 4 and hates 3), and yet when I come online it's almost always been the exact opposite.

And yeah, I usually tend to stay out of those poll topics, because it's not worth it to see Gen 3 win everything (just recently there were people say it had the most memorable town names...that just. no.)
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.