This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How would you represent an lgbt character in XY?

#1agent9149Posted 8/25/2013 8:31:41 AM
So this is a topic where we can list ideas and examples of how an lgbt character could be very well portrayed in a pokemon game.

You can list your scenarios here.

Here's mine:

Protagonist enters a route.

A male npc steps forward and says, "Trainer! Can you help me? Team Flare stole my Pokémon and my boyfriend, Randy, ran after them to get back my precious Inkay. Can you please go and help him?"

Protagonist goes and finds Randy who happens to be the Fire gym leader you'll be facing next. They battle team flare together and get back the Inkay. Randy thanks you for helping him get back his boyfriend's Pokemon and tells you he can't wait to fight you in the next gym.

Comment on the scenario or provide examples of your own. Let's keep this fun and interesting.

NOTE: This thread is not about the discussion of whether or whether not lgbt people should be portrayed in the game like the decent existing human beings they are. Remain on topic. I also urge others to ignore off topic posts. Don't give them life by responding to them.
#2javel34Posted 8/25/2013 8:34:27 AM
Well I just joined the klan last week (working my way to grand wizard! Fingers crossed!) so I think I would just close my eyes and pretend that part doesn't exist.
---
Black 2 FC: 3569 1730 6208 She would return every so often. Her lips tasted like tragedy, but he could never forget her. How could he when she was always near?
#3CalciferJenkinsPosted 8/25/2013 8:35:38 AM
Literally the only thing I can think of is that including the name in the line makes it seem a little disjointed.

I'd probably write "Team Flare stole my Pokémon and my boyfriend ran after them". And then have the character introduce himself as Randy (if that was his name) later on. I'm not a writer though.
---
Thank you, gentlemen! Someday, I will repay you. Unless, of course, I can't find you or if I forget.
#4KwonJigglypuffPosted 8/25/2013 8:37:42 AM
I'm gay and I don't see the point.

Jigglypuff already represents the LGBT community.
#5YourLuckPosted 8/25/2013 8:37:53 AM
I applaud you for trying to control the crowd, but I honestly don't think it'll go anywhere, and people will turn it into that other topic.

Honestly, Gamefreak has already done a decent job at adding lgbt characters in the games. It's fine as it is, and we don't really need a sub-plot for this.
---
A familiar note is produced.
It's the note Desolation plays to keep its instrument in tune
#6Nado6Posted 8/25/2013 8:39:09 AM(edited)
Make it two clear consenting adults that do not have a flirty nature toward the protagonist of the same gender whatsoever or else people are going to call it creepy. Do not make the gay character same age as the protagonist or they'll call it indoctrination. Make sure it's out there but make it look implied you know it show's they're lgbt but make it look like you tried to just imply it. For a transgender you could just have a female npc model who refers to themselves as male or a male who refers to themselves as female.

Basically make it so it's hard for the public outcry groups to get attention and they'll leave it alone
#7GBeastMegamanBXPosted 8/25/2013 8:40:27 AM
I'd change the boyfriend part to partner as that is a bit too open for rated E game.
---
"I noticed your beautiful hair right away" - Minato to Kushina
#8NessEggmanPosted 8/25/2013 8:46:17 AM
CalciferJenkins posted...
Literally the only thing I can think of is that including the name in the line makes it seem a little disjointed.

I'd probably write "Team Flare stole my Pokémon and my boyfriend ran after them". And then have the character introduce himself as Randy (if that was his name) later on. I'm not a writer though.

Yeah, this sounds more natural.

Honeslty, I don't care if there are gay people in Pokémon or not, despite being gay and queer myself and always actively arguing in the homosexuality topics.

I think it would be nice if they're going to include characters who reference their girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife/crush/whatever, if they also include a fair representation of the characters doing this being in same-sex relationships.

But at the same time, I'm also polyamorous, and I support a lot of other sexual identities that are even more controversial and universally looked down upon, so I don't think it's really fair to say only the gays should get to be in the game.

I don't want same-sex relationships in Pokémon because I want it to be more politically correct. I want it because it's more realistic. In the world I live in, some couples are the same sex, and some are the opposite sex. Seeing all straight white people (or Asian, if that's how you see them) in Pokémon with like a couple black people here or there as tokens is unrealistic to me. I'm not asking for hyper realism, but what makes fantasy great is that it takes reality and exaggerates elements of it to make it fascinating. But it still is grounded in reality. Star Trek is so appealing to many because of how realistic it is.

A world where everyone is the same color and same orientation and in the same type of relationships is boring. Adding variety would make Pokémon more interesting. So I would like to see more variety. Whether this means same-sex relationships or not, it doesn't matter to me. I just want a little more believable and interesting atmosphere.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515
#9agent9149(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 8:47:12 AM
CalciferJenkins posted...

We can have Randy introduce himself rather than his boyfriend introducing him.

GBeastMegamanBX posted...
I'd change the boyfriend part to partner as that is a bit too open for rated E game.

I never liked the term partner. Seemed to impersonal. But I see your point.

Nado6 posted...
Make it two clear consenting adults that do not have a flirty nature toward the protagonist of the same gender whatsoever or else people are going to call it creepy. Do not make the gay character same age as the protagonist or they'll call it indoctrination. Make sure it's out there but make it look implied you know it show's they're lgbt but make it look like you tried to just imply it. For a transgender you could just have a female npc model who refers to themselves as male or a male who refers to themselves as female.

Basically make it so it's hard for the public outcry groups to get attention and they'll leave it alone

I see what you're saying but trying to appease both groups both for and against seems like a copout. You're either in or not. I'd rather gamefreak give their all or not give at all.

Also I like the idea for the transgender characters
#10NessEggmanPosted 8/25/2013 8:47:28 AM
GBeastMegamanBX posted...

But characters already call themselves boyfriend and girlfriend, and the game is already rated E.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515