This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Type Chart Balancing - Why GF Goofed Up

#1MissCarriagePosted 8/25/2013 1:41:53 PM
Yes, I know there are things that just do not make sense at all in the Pokeworld, but let's just forget about that and try to fix up some of Gamefreak's goofs regarding the type chart. Let's use RW to address points in a logical, realworld POV and and GP to address points in a balancing, gameplay POV.

1. Steel should not be immune to Poison. This never made any sense to me. GP - Gameplay wise, Poison did not need any more of a nerf from Gen 1 -> Gen 2. Poison already lost its SE advantage on Bug, and now its not even able to damage Steel types? Why, GF? Steel already gets so many free resistances to types that don't even make sense that adding an immunity just makes it seem like GF hates the Poison type. RW - Acids are known to react very harshly with metals, not just bounce off them with no effect.

2. Poison should be SE against Water. RW - Pollution. GP - Water is too good of a typing defensively, and Poison needs an offensive boost (although if it gets neutral damage vs. Steel than this isn't necessary).

3. Poison should be SE against Fighting. RW - Try poisoning a martial artist and see how they fare in a fight. GP - See above.

4. Ice should resist Ground and/or WAter. RW - IDK! GP - Ice needs a defensive boost and both Water and Ground are a bit too strong atm.
---
Love me long time.
#2RotomGuy3Posted 8/25/2013 1:44:21 PM
I always thought Steel was immune to Poison because Steel wasn't organic and couldn't give it a disease. I thought Rock should be immune too but it's too weak for that.
#3roxbury1990Posted 8/25/2013 1:46:06 PM
Why doesn't anyone EVER mention grass?
---
White FC: 2581 1588 9644 // wii code = 1308 9776 3256 7038 // 3DS FC: 4527-7258-1744 // GamerTag: Loftice
Parasect is the BEST
#4wyvernflyer128Posted 8/25/2013 1:47:10 PM
Someone really wants to use poison types without hindrances
---
Black FC: 4685 2340 6747
Name: SethZ
#5RotomGuy3Posted 8/25/2013 1:49:04 PM
Actually, Poison being SE against Water sounds plausible. Water needs more weaknesses.
#6MissCarriage(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 1:50:36 PM
wyvernflyer128 posted...
Someone really wants to use poison types without hindrances

LOL I just realized how many times I brought up Poison.

I was going to bring up more types but if I did I just would have kept going and going.
---
Love me long time.
#7MissCarriage(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 1:52:05 PM
RotomGuy3 posted...
I always thought Steel was immune to Poison because Steel wasn't organic and couldn't give it a disease. I thought Rock should be immune too but it's too weak for that.

Well only like 3 types on the type chart are "organic:" Grass, Bug, and Dragon, yet Poison is only SE against one of them. The types are so vague that GF could literally do anything with them and it would make sense... some just make more sense than others.
---
Love me long time.
#8Emperor_mateusPosted 8/25/2013 1:52:26 PM
I agree with the fighting should be weak to poison point. Fighting has 5 types that it hits for super effective, while only having two weaknesses. Its also gotten stronger and stronger over the last couple of gens. It also makes a bit of sense since poison attacks your insides so muscles are meaningless there.

I could also see poison being super effective against water, but the reverse could also be true since you can clean out poison with water as well. A better thing in my opinion would change their movesets a little so you don't have 99% of the water types having access to ice beam and other powerfull ice attacks. It hits one of their main counters pretty well and it gives you many pokemon able to use ice attacks without the defensive drawbacks.

And Ice could use another resistance so giving it a water resistance might work.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#9KruployPosted 8/25/2013 1:53:07 PM
MissCarriage posted...
3. Poison should be SE against Fighting. RW - Try poisoning a martial artist and see how they fare in a fight. GP - See above.

Try burning any living entity see how they fare in a fight.

Try drowning any living entity see how they fare in a fight.

Try shocking any living entity see how they fare in a fight.

Try freezing any living entity see how they fare in a fight.

Try beating down any living entity see how they fare in a fight.

Try mentally dismantling any living entity see how they fare in a fight.

etc.
#10MissCarriage(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 1:58:22 PM
Kruploy posted...
MissCarriage posted...

Try burning any living entity see how they fare in a fight.

Try drowning any living entity see how they fare in a fight.

Try shocking any living entity see how they fare in a fight.

Try freezing any living entity see how they fare in a fight.

Try beating down any living entity see how they fare in a fight.

Try mentally dismantling any living entity see how they fare in a fight.

etc.

Okay its true that any of those could possibly work, but you know what I mean.

Fighting types are weak to Psychics because they overwhelm their minds and prevent them from fighting properly. The same could be said to Poison types overwhelming their body. Flying type doesn't really make sense but WHATEVER.
---
Love me long time.