This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Moves Lost In Translation

#51ClassyOldHatPosted 8/27/2013 6:00:18 AM
I know it's already been mentioned before, but Tail Wag being translated as Tail Whip. The amount of people asking why it doesn't do damage all could have been avoided....
#52beebarbPosted 8/27/2013 6:10:55 AM
Emerald_Melios posted...
I still dislike Faint Attack.

I'm not particularly fond of the move either. How could they use the wrong word for the move?
Feint Attack would be more accurate.

It's possible they missed the error the first time, and just never corrected it for some unknown reason.
---
I gave up and did the 3DS transfer anyway...
3DS XL FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 0047-4149-5185 / White FC: 0348-0626-6780
#53Tygore001Posted 8/27/2013 6:49:39 AM
Dark_Link92 posted...
MickeyRocksa posted...
Sloth9230 posted...
Lickitung posted...
Sucker Punch always gets brought up, but it's correct the way it is. A sucker punch is not always a literal punch; it's a general term for any surprise attack.

lol, they're just mad it isn't backed by Iron Fist.

why isn't it tho

Bro, do you even read?

Oh, the mess this has become. Let me attempt to clarify:

-The move Sucker Punch, when literally translated from the original Japanese, would be called "Ambush". This itself doesn't create much confusion, the concept works and it's not like Pokémon without arms haven't been able to learn punching moves before *coughWOOPERcough*.

-The ability Iron Fist boosts all punching moves. This means that when the ability was introduced, an extra flag was added to moves to specify whether or not they get boosted by Iron Fist.

-The move we call Sucker Punch carries no connotations of punching in Japan. THIS is where translation becomes an issue, because when told that an ability boosts the power of punching moves one would assume that would include a move with "Punch" in the name. However, rather than create a disparity in game mechanics between regions Game Freak just left this alone.

-The whole discussion is somewhat pointless as at the moment no Pokémon with Iron Fist learns Sucker Punch.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3010 5906 4214
3DS FC: 4511-0471-8035
#54Sloth9230Posted 8/27/2013 7:02:15 AM
Tygore001 posted...
Dark_Link92 posted...
MickeyRocksa posted...
Sloth9230 posted...
Lickitung posted...
Sucker Punch always gets brought up, but it's correct the way it is. A sucker punch is not always a literal punch; it's a general term for any surprise attack.

why isn't it tho

Bro, do you even read?

Oh, the mess this has become. Let me attempt to clarify:

-The move Sucker Punch, when literally translated from the original Japanese, would be called "Ambush". This itself doesn't create much confusion, the concept works and it's not like Pokémon without arms haven't been able to learn punching moves before *coughWOOPERcough*.

-The ability Iron Fist boosts all punching moves. This means that when the ability was introduced, an extra flag was added to moves to specify whether or not they get boosted by Iron Fist.

-The move we call Sucker Punch carries no connotations of punching in Japan. THIS is where translation becomes an issue, because when told that an ability boosts the power of punching moves one would assume that would include a move with "Punch" in the name. However, rather than create a disparity in game mechanics between regions Game Freak just left this alone.

-The whole discussion is somewhat pointless as at the moment no Pokémon with Iron Fist learns Sucker Punch.
That bolded part really should be all the clarification anyone needs.
#55Lucis_FerrePosted 8/27/2013 9:36:05 AM
Less lost in translation but Victini's signature move is a pun in both languages.

In Japan, it's V-Generate, or 'Regenerate'
In US, it's V-Create, or 'Recreate'

Both also refer to it outputting huge levels of (Implied) nuclear fusion based heat, ie: creating/generating.

Also unlike the Tail Glow example, there's Spore, which is Mushroom Spore in Japan. Since spores are still signature to funghi so this managed to survive the language transition.

Swallow cut/tsubamegaeshi, what was called Aerial Ace over here, refers to a famous sword move which involves a downwards slash quickly followed by an upwards one, hence the animation is always a double diagonal cut, and is learned by almost any Pokemon with claws or blades, as well as Flying Pokemon.

U-Turn is Bug type specifically because in Japan it's called Dragonfly Leap.
---
'Success rates are but scientific theory. A brave heart will defy any odds!'
'Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you won't get anything.'
#56RotomGuy3Posted 8/27/2013 9:40:04 AM
Resuscitation is a Japenese move. It doubles damage when the foe is paralysed and heals them.

In English, its called SmellingSalts. I know it makes sense, but they are two completely different things.
#57HejiruPosted 8/27/2013 9:59:17 AM
Mist is "White Mist" and Haze is "Black Mist." That's why the event Reshiram and Zekrom learned them.

TheonTurncloak posted...
SorceressTharja posted...
Ambush => Sucker Punch

Both names work for that move.

But the problem is we always get a ton of people asking "why can Diglett/Ekans learn Sucker Punch when it has no arms?" and "Why isn't Sucker Punch powered-up by Iron Fist?" Most people seem to think it's an actual punching move.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#58TheMasterTurtlePosted 8/27/2013 10:19:27 AM
Sloth9230 posted...
Lickitung posted...

Yeah I came here to bring this up.
---
OFFICIAL WARTORTLE OF THE B/W BOARDS
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThreeAmigosProductio - My short films, please enjoy yourself.
#59LickitungPosted 8/27/2013 10:22:21 AM
beebarb posted...
Emerald_Melios posted...
I still dislike Faint Attack.

I'm not particularly fond of the move either. How could they use the wrong word for the move?
Feint Attack would be more accurate.

It's possible they missed the error the first time, and just never corrected it for some unknown reason.

What's funny is the move is spelled correctly in the TCG.
---
3DS Friend Code: 2320-6129-3961
Westeros Dream Code: 5600-2179-6294
#60WetstewPosted 8/27/2013 10:51:19 AM
A lot of these moves are Gen I where there was a very strict character limit. Like Struggle is translated as Vain Struggle which implies more futility in it's action. While Thrash is Violent Struggle. (Although both of those manage to preserve it's original intent).

Submission is translated from Hell Wheel, which is grabbing technique where you grab someone by the neck with the legs and drive them face down while grabbing their lower body. It's not practical in MMA styled fights, but it's used in wrestling/Lucha.

It's translation implies grappling and holding someone to the point that they either submit or the judge calls the fight.
---
For every good thing in life, there is one indirect link to a photo service. -eco master