This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Y/N: Rain needs to be nerfed

#1gunsndrosesPosted 8/25/2013 2:48:08 PM
Y/N: Rain needs a good nerfin' - Results (146 votes)
Yes
32.19% (47 votes)
No
34.93% (51 votes)
Tyrion Lannister
32.88% (48 votes)
This poll is now closed.
In the aftermath of my "Scald" topic, it seems most people don't want Scald nerfed. I do. But....

What about rain? Is everybody willing to acknowledge the overpowered mess that is rain? It seems like a solid third (maybe more) of OU teams on Pokemon Showdown (and I'm sure elsewhere) have a freaking Politoed on their team.

Rain multiplies Water moves' base powers by 1.5, and Fire moves' base powers by 0.5. Already insanely powerful moves (*cough* Scald *cough*) take full advantage of this boost, in addition to STAB. Fire becomes near worthless, opening the way for Steel walls and other types.

Certain Pokemon have abilities or moves that single-handedly keep them in higher tiers. Swift Swim, Dry Skin, and Water Dish all make their beneficiaries extremely annoying to beat. Thunder and Hurricane gain 100% accuracies.

And, as mentioned above, almost every single rain team you will ever see has a damn Politoed. Drizzle makes it so that alls you have to do is toss in Politoed once, and instead of the temporary weather caused by Rain Dance, the rain is permanent. The only way to *truly* and *efficiently* counter a rain team is to have a weather team of your own, using Pokemon such as Ninetales, Hippowdon, or Abomasnow.

So regardless of what anybody says, I DEFINITELY think rain needs nerfing. Maybe make it so that Drizzle (and the other weather abilties) only lasts what Rain Dance would last for, or even have Politoed banished to some new and weird tier.
---
3DS FC: 3153-4286-2384
For an impenetrable shield, stand inside yourself.-Henry David Thoreau
#2SorceressTharjaPosted 8/25/2013 2:50:36 PM
Drizzle, Drought and other weather abilities stay as long as the pokemon is on the field, then the weather should disappear shortly after the pokemon switches out - boostable with the applicable rock.
#3TheonTurncloakPosted 8/25/2013 2:52:01 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4BrasenPosted 8/25/2013 2:52:53 PM
Damnit I want an "Imp" or "Dwarf" pokemon now!
#5Dark_EinherjarPosted 8/25/2013 2:55:39 PM
All weather changes from abilities should last for 5 turns (8 with the corresponding rock), just like their move counterparts.
---
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
-Sirius Black
#6KingPeng113Posted 8/25/2013 3:05:18 PM
SorceressTharja posted...
Drizzle, Drought and other weather abilities stay as long as the pokemon is on the field, then the weather should disappear shortly after the pokemon switches out - boostable with the applicable rock.

I agree 100%. This is probably the fairest way to nerf weather.
---
I'm not a narcissist, I just know that I'm better than everybody else! -Me
#7LightningAce11Posted 8/25/2013 3:06:06 PM
How about you guys just use golduck?
---
"Servant woman, bring me a drying cloth at once!" - Vegeta to Bulma
#8gunsndroses(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 3:07:22 PM
LightningAce11 posted...

One ability does not make up for his bad stats, at least in OU.
---
3DS FC: 3153-4286-2384
For an impenetrable shield, stand inside yourself.-Henry David Thoreau
#9SorceressTharjaPosted 8/25/2013 3:09:12 PM
I laugh at people who suggest Cloud Nine for 2 reasons.

1) All of the users suck. Badly.
2) It doesn't actually get rid of the weather.
3) You have 1 pokemon there to counter 6 of your opponents. Yours isn't even good.

Also, I've found a goos anti-weather 'mon to be Specially Defensive Latias with Hail. It fares less well against Hail.
#10KingPeng113Posted 8/25/2013 3:09:32 PM
LightningAce11 posted...

Because as soon as its KO'd the problem comes back. And Golduck dies VERY quickly.
---
I'm not a narcissist, I just know that I'm better than everybody else! -Me