This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Masuda Method

#1Xtreme GamerPosted 8/26/2013 2:45:09 PM
Now that we can select what language we want to play our game in does that mean using the Masuda Method to get shinies through breeding won't work anymore? I mean, normally you'd just need to look at the Pokemon or trainer's name to determine whether or not it was from a foreign game, but now I don't know if that'll be possible.
---
Whoever coined the phrase "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" was obviously never beat down with a dictionary.
#2Xtreme Gamer(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 9:10:10 PM
bump
---
Whoever coined the phrase "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" was obviously never beat down with a dictionary.
#3Sloth9230Posted 8/26/2013 9:15:25 PM
The Masuda method relies on the games country of origin, not language.
#4FuneralCakePosted 8/26/2013 9:19:01 PM
Sloth9230 posted...

That may change with XY, but it is not currently correct. The way that the games detect the "country of origin" now, at least in terms of the Masuda Method, is purely based on language. So, a Pokemon from Canada will be viewed as the "same" as a Pokemon from the UK.

I would imagine that this would be carried over to XY, just for simplicity's sake, but we have no way of knowing right now.
---
YOU WANT SOME FUNERAL TO GO WITH THAT CAKE?
i'm depending on a generator just to breathe in air
#5Sloth9230Posted 8/26/2013 9:28:38 PM
FuneralCake posted...
Sloth9230 posted...

That may change with XY, but it is not currently correct. The way that the games detect the "country of origin" now, at least in terms of the Masuda Method, is purely based on language. So, a Pokemon from Canada will be viewed as the "same" as a Pokemon from the UK.

I would imagine that this would be carried over to XY, just for simplicity's sake, but we have no way of knowing right now.

No... they're marked. An egg received from a foreign country will be marked as foriegn, it will hatch with whatever language your game has. Pokemon recieved from in game trades will not be marked as forien though, even though some may have different languages.

If what you say about Canada and the UK is true, then I would imagine it's because they're the same version, at least I know the US an Uk use the same game based on roms.
#6Sloth9230Posted 8/26/2013 9:36:37 PM
Okay, so I checked on pokegen and these are the different regions.

France/Quebec
Germany
Italy
Japan
South Korea
Spain/Latin Americas
US/UK/UA

Each pokemon/egg is marked as being from one of these places. The language shown is irrelevant. Although the language is determined based on country, unless it was received from an egg or in-game trade.
#7FuneralCakePosted 8/26/2013 9:45:09 PM
The way Pokegen chooses to label the language of origin doesn't mean anything, and is very, very likely not how the game stores it. What those places all have in common is the language, so that should be what matters here.

The fact is, the game supports seven different languages, and those languages are what determine how the Masuda Method works. Since the UK and US are supported under the same language, and, therefore, treated the same according to the games, it's really more based on language than anything else.

If you really want to make any further arguments, you're just going to be arguing semantics, and I don't do that.
---
YOU WANT SOME FUNERAL TO GO WITH THAT CAKE?
i'm depending on a generator just to breathe in air
#8Sloth9230Posted 8/26/2013 10:00:42 PM
okay... w/e

But it's not just Pokegen that uses those, it's the games/system itself and things like ARs. Each game is marked as being from a region, that doesn't matter on the DS, but 3DSs are region locked and will only play games from the same region as the system, checking to make sure the pokemon actually come from a different region and that player didn't just change languages would be trivial.