This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How the hell did people play Gen 1 and 2 without running shoes?

#11capgamerPosted 8/26/2013 6:02:08 PM
Red and Blue were MUCH easier than the later games. Super effective moves basically guaranteed a one hit KO every time... even really weak ones like bubble just completely tore stuff up. So there was less need to backtrack I'd say and battles were much shorter, making the game in general play faster.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#12NessEggmanPosted 8/26/2013 6:02:27 PM
We used the bike. And we had click through menus EVERY TIME to use it!

Going back now, I'm like "How did I ever think this was okay?!" but of course, I'm just spoiled now.

It's a lot like when I play a GBA (the original, not SP) and I try to find a place with lighting so I can actually see it, and I'm like "HOW DID I PLAY THIS FOR HOURS?! THIS IS THE WORST EVER!"

When GBA was AMAZING at the time compared to GBC lol.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515
#13mexicannon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2013 6:03:43 PM
capgamer posted...
Red and Blue were MUCH easier than the later games. Super effective moves basically guaranteed a one hit KO every time... even really weak ones like bubble just completely tore stuff up. So there was less need to backtrack I'd say and battles were much shorter, making the game in general play faster.

How fast a battle finishes doesn't really have anything to do with walking speed. The pace of the game might be faster, but the walking speed doesn't really corelate to that
#14DoctorJimmy133Posted 8/26/2013 6:05:50 PM
The real revolution in movement came in Gen IV, where you could runů indoors.
---
Harmony is peace. Peace is unity. Unity is harmony. I tell this to the King Nook. He ask me to leave.
#15sl00wpokePosted 8/26/2013 6:07:39 PM
NessEggman posted...
We used the bike. And we had click through menus EVERY TIME to use it!

Going back now, I'm like "How did I ever think this was okay?!" but of course, I'm just spoiled now.

It's a lot like when I play a GBA (the original, not SP) and I try to find a place with lighting so I can actually see it, and I'm like "HOW DID I PLAY THIS FOR HOURS?! THIS IS THE WORST EVER!"

When GBA was AMAZING at the time compared to GBC lol.

IIRC it locked onto your last position on the menu, so all I used to do was start, A, A to get on the bike

Its a hassle when you need to check your party or something though
#16capgamerPosted 8/26/2013 6:09:58 PM
mexicannon posted...
capgamer posted...

How fast a battle finishes doesn't really have anything to do with walking speed. The pace of the game might be faster, but the walking speed doesn't really corelate to that

What I mean is that there was less reason to walk period since you only had to walk from point A to B once, maybe twice. In these recent games I find myself backtracking like crazy sometimes because you run into those random trainers who decide it'll be funny to paralyze your entire team or whatever.
---
The man keeps us down
because he likes to see us frown
#17SgtCashmerePosted 8/26/2013 6:13:37 PM
Ugh, it was hard. We had to walk uphill 40 miles both ways, and it was hailing.
:P
#18SpoonMan54321Posted 8/26/2013 6:18:23 PM
i couldve sworn you could register an item to the select button in gen 1. i feel like i kept my bike on select all the time. am i remembering wrong?
---
...and bababooey to y'all
#19tsunamisurfer08Posted 8/26/2013 6:20:08 PM(edited)
I always hated restarting Red just because it was killing me until I got the bike. Same thing with Silver.

But once I got running shoes I was all OMG HOW DID I LIVE WITHOUT YOU? BIKE? WHAT'S THAT?!

SpoonMan54321 posted...
i couldve sworn you could register an item to the select button in gen 1. i feel like i kept my bike on select all the time. am i remembering wrong?

You are, That was added in Gold and Silver.
---
However history remembers me, it shall only remember a fraction of the truth.
#20mralpha543Posted 8/26/2013 6:23:14 PM
Probably because we didn't start with Gen 3
---
Rocket Professor ~ R ~ Support Elesa! Real Arceus. Third Version M 2/26/13
Official ANBU of the Pokemon boards.