This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How the hell did people play Gen 1 and 2 without running shoes?

#31Dark_Link92Posted 8/27/2013 3:35:10 AM
Something about the overworld design, or the zoom of the screen, how fat the protagonist was, or something I can't put my finger on made it seem like you walked faster.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#32XWolfOPosted 8/27/2013 3:39:57 AM
sl00wpoke posted...
i want to ride my bicycle i want to ride my bike

i want to ride my bicycle i want to ride it where i like

This put a smile on my face.

And yeah, that's how I played them. Bike all day.
---
Don't hesitate. When the time comes, just act.
#33NitharadPosted 8/27/2013 5:20:09 AM
*gets cane and puts on old guy voice*

These young kids with their autosaves, and regenerating health, and checkpoints, and anti-frustration features, and wifi, and running shoes and online walkthroughs.

They will never know what's it like to blow into a S/NES/Gameboy cartridge, carry around a link-cable and have bullies pull them out, or having to buy magazines to learn about stuff.
#34scitch1Posted 8/27/2013 5:35:07 AM
we had patience and didnt rush games back then lol
---
PSN = scott_2781
3DS friend code = 3969 3933 8945
#35e_gooniesPosted 8/27/2013 6:00:47 AM
Bike and Fly all day!
#36hawkeye2188Posted 8/27/2013 9:20:58 AM
Kumori_no_Yoru posted...
The thought of having the option to run in those games never crossed my mind at the time.

This, didn't have that ability so you didn't know what you were missing. However after my first play through any time I started over it was a race to get to the bicycle. That thing made life easy back then.
---
GT: hawkeye2188
#37WetstewPosted 8/27/2013 10:28:21 AM(edited)
The world was smaller and the walking speed wasn't that slow. RPGs were smaller and slower in general back then, we were use to it.

Game design wasn't set in stone back then.

Mother (Earthbound Zero) was made by the some of the same development team and it has a run option the in the debug mode that they disabled because they didn't think it was necessary. (It was renabled by the American localization team... only to be cancelled).
---
For every good thing in life, there is one indirect link to a photo service. -eco master
#38Skull_proPosted 8/27/2013 10:30:56 AM
scitch1 posted...
we had patience and didnt rush games back then lol

This, a platformer like DKC on the snes used to take at least as much time to beat as a 12 level FPS of 2005+
---
Live like a windrammer as you **** while seeing futures in balls-Whoever wrote to AVGN
3DS FC: 4339-2730-2396
#39NessEggmanPosted 8/27/2013 10:41:50 AM
sl00wpoke posted...
NessEggman posted...
We used the bike. And we had click through menus EVERY TIME to use it!

Going back now, I'm like "How did I ever think this was okay?!" but of course, I'm just spoiled now.

It's a lot like when I play a GBA (the original, not SP) and I try to find a place with lighting so I can actually see it, and I'm like "HOW DID I PLAY THIS FOR HOURS?! THIS IS THE WORST EVER!"

When GBA was AMAZING at the time compared to GBC lol.

IIRC it locked onto your last position on the menu, so all I used to do was start, A, A to get on the bike

Its a hassle when you need to check your party or something though

I think it actually defaulted to the first item in the list. It defaults to the last selected item now, I think, but back then, I think it started you at the beginning every time.

I say this because I remember it being a thing to move your bike to the #1 slot so that you could more easily access it.

But the point that you still had to click through two menus every time makes it way more annoying than a single button press.

Not to mention we were doing this with HM moves, too... I remember when I picked up my old Green game and kept trying to surf by walking up to the water and pressing A. I was like "But I have Surf in my party!! What is going on?!" because I totally forgot we had to actually go and use the HM moves from the party lol. Now I get annoyed that we have to do that with Fly still, hahaha.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515
#40Storm101Posted 8/27/2013 11:03:48 AM
Wetstew posted...
Mother (Earthbound Zero) was made by the some of the same development team and it has a run option the in the debug mode that they disabled because they didn't think it was necessary. (It was renabled by the American localization team... only to be cancelled).

That's so dumb... I'm sick of devs removing completely optional content for no reason.