This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How exactly is charizard a dragon?

#31IqarP15Posted 8/28/2013 6:10:47 AM
Gyarados are Chinese dragons yet they don't say its a dragon just water and flying...
---
"SPOILERS"... If ppl call me a douche bag I reply "Well at least I'm scoring!"
#32mehmetskiPosted 8/28/2013 6:17:29 AM
user_pt posted...
mehmetski posted...
he hasnt got that "im so much cooler than you" attitude

What.

http://i.novobuscar.com/index.aspx?p=%2FPic%2Fbr%2F2012%2F10%2F12%2F3a66ce4b-8b64-4392-bb47-59933af2f59f.jpg
If this isn't an "im so much cooler than you" attitude I don't know what is.

this is only a single individual. im speaking of the species as a whole. he is a badass, sure. but he hasnt got that "im worth more than you because im a dragon" style. dragons are royal. charizard is not so much.
---
Xerneas, the gay-pride Pokemon
3DS FC: 4511-0558-9256
#33atma6Posted 8/28/2013 6:24:05 AM
CaliberChamp posted...
In gen 1 gamefreak only wanted one dragon Pokemon. To make it seem more special than the rest and supposedly rare. Dragonite. Charizard was one of the first Pokemon created before they even thought about making a dragon type and dragonite was among the last thought up. This is why charizard and gyrados aren't dragon even though they should be. I hope mega evolutions fix this for them.

This is the answer. Charizard and Gyarados aren't dragons because of game mechanics and, later, tradition. There's no reason to logic out what physical characteristics made the cut or not.
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationformg.blogspot.com/
#34mehmetskiPosted 8/28/2013 6:25:01 AM
well in many tales, dragons are shape shifters, yet no one says ditto should become dragon type O.o
---
#35user_ptPosted 8/28/2013 6:25:06 AM
mehmetski posted...
user_pt posted...
mehmetski posted...

What.

http://i.novobuscar.com/index.aspx?p=%2FPic%2Fbr%2F2012%2F10%2F12%2F3a66ce4b-8b64-4392-bb47-59933af2f59f.jpg

this is only a single individual. im speaking of the species as a whole. he is a badass, sure. but he hasnt got that "im worth more than you because im a dragon" style. dragons are royal. charizard is not so much.

You accept Gyarados to be classified as a dragon and yet Magikarp is just a silly, useless fish. At least Charmeleon can spit fire, and so can Charmander.

And I don't know what you mean with mythological background. And how Gyarados has it and not Charizard.
#36mehmetskiPosted 8/28/2013 6:28:15 AM
user_pt posted...
mehmetski posted...
user_pt posted...
mehmetski posted...

What.

You accept Gyarados to be classified as a dragon and yet Magikarp is just a silly, useless fish. At least Charmeleon can spit fire, and so can Charmander.

And I don't know what you mean with mythological background. And how Gyarados has it and not Charizard.

are you kidding me? gyarados is based on that story of the karp that leaped over a waterfall and became a dragon..i dont know the details anymore but it is clearly based on a dragon tale. also, i dont say magikarp should get dragon type, and im okay with gyarados being flying type (summoning storms and such) but charizard doesnt meet the criteria more than any other reptilian pokemon.
---
#37user_ptPosted 8/28/2013 6:34:18 AM
mehmetski posted...
user_pt posted...
mehmetski posted...
user_pt posted...
mehmetski posted...

What.

are you kidding me? gyarados is based on that story of the karp that leaped over a waterfall and became a dragon..i dont know the details anymore but it is clearly based on a dragon tale. also, i dont say magikarp should get dragon type, and im okay with gyarados being flying type (summoning storms and such) but charizard doesnt meet the criteria more than any other reptilian pokemon.

You do have a point, however, he deserves more to be classified as a dragon than, say, Salamence, Flygon and such.
#38ZTIger5Posted 8/28/2013 6:36:58 AM
You're joking, right?
---
Playing) FE: Awakening, Guild Wars 2. Skyrim, Pokemon White 2, Harvest Moon 11
Waiting) Pokemon XY, Batman: Arkham Origins, Titanfall, PvZ Garden Warfare
#39mehmetskiPosted 8/28/2013 6:50:25 AM(edited)
salamence: it has no particular elemental class like charizard, and its prevos dont fly. so it either must be dragon or normal. but normal is very boring and not enough for a pseudo. also, salamence has that brutality and its prevos are cave dwelling, savage beasts.
flygon: based on antlions/dragonflies. pretty obvious i think.
also, dragon type is often about duality (yin yang, good evil) and two dragons neutralize each other.
charizard, being a starter and in this way part of a trio, wouldnt go too well with a duality theme.
and the last, and maybe best reason, has to do with its starter role too:
fire/dragon takes neutral damage from water and 1/4 damage from grass which would give it too much of an advantage over the other starters.
and his ability to fly is what makes him special!
---
#40ashcrvPosted 8/28/2013 6:55:50 AM
How exactly is Arcanine a dog? It's a wolf!
How exactly is Flygon a dragon? It's a dragonfly!
How exactly is Altaria a dragon? It's a cotton candy cloud!
How exactly is Blastoise a shellfish? It's a tortoise!
How exactly is Mightyena a bite? It's a freakin hyena!!!
etc.

Bros you're overthinking pokeymons. Stop arguing because it doesn't matter. It's freakin pokemon!
---
MY HAIR IS ON FIRE!