This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand the hate smogon gets

#1Jump_Man7Posted 8/28/2013 1:57:24 AM
**** them for trying to balance the metagame right?
---
||Our the Yoshi||
||The One True Character||
#2AlI_About_The_UPosted 8/28/2013 2:03:14 AM
Smogon are the devil.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Fd6pTd6.jpg
#3kagster123Posted 8/28/2013 2:04:52 AM
"bcuz dey say charizard iz nu but hez like teh best pokemanz everz lolz"
---
W2 FC-4041 7958 0763
B1-3955 8779 8112
#4pryceoflifePosted 8/28/2013 2:05:35 AM
Its kind of like how people obsess over little details and then they completely hate it because of it
---
OddBen
my GE fc: 0591-8749-1362
#5Vesper238Posted 8/28/2013 2:07:03 AM
Smogon is a metagame not the metagame get that right, you don't have to play by the Smogon rule set at all.

I believe the hate is just players thinking that thier favorite pokemon isn't as good as they thought.

I recently joined Pokemon Showdown, i enjoy it so far, dont OU, i play UU or NU.
---
Shaken, but not Stirred
Alabama Gamer! Roll Tide, War Eagle!
#6zinformantPosted 8/28/2013 4:53:01 AM
Vesper238 posted...
I believe the hate is just players thinking that thier favorite pokemon isn't as good as they thought.

Nonsense. Smogon players place arbitrary rules in an attempt to level the battlefield including ones rather anti-RPG. Many of their rules attempt to remove luck from the equation. Luck is a part of this genre. Why do they do it? They believe luck allows the worse player to win. They believe they're the better player. I cannot advocate that kind of arrogance. Additionally, the community stifles creativity because there are 'right' ways to use Pokemon and 'right' Pokemon to use in certain tiers.

Truly, the hate comes from Smogon players when they find Pokemon used unconventionally that kill their act of prediction.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
No news now-
#7SorceressTharjaPosted 8/28/2013 4:57:22 AM
People hate Smogon because when they see something that sucks they tell the person to use a more standard set. I mean, f*** them for trying to help people have a solid team right? The standard sets become standard for a reason.

I don't think any Smogonites hate on unconventional sets - they hate on sets that suck. You see the difference, right?
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67092684 - Interested in helping design an OU Pokemon Team as the GameFAQs community? Follow that link...
#8zinformantPosted 8/28/2013 5:11:57 AM
SorceressTharja posted...
People hate Smogon because when they see something that sucks they tell the person to use a more standard set.

And that's a delusion that the standard is always better than others that, then, 'suck'. There are 'sucky' Pokemon out there, but anyone playing seriously likely won't be generating one.

SorceressTharja posted...
I don't think any Smogonites hate on unconventional sets - they hate on sets that suck. You see the difference, right?

It's a semantical difference, nothing else. Unconventional is 'wrong' to the average Smogon player.
---
Go to Gamestop, buy a Steam card, and use it to purchase Ys Origin. You won't be disappointed.
No news now-
#9-Oath-Posted 8/28/2013 5:19:52 AM
Blaziken.
#10ClassyOldHatPosted 8/28/2013 5:32:55 AM
One reason that a lot of people don't mention, and will probably be demonstrated by a post here somewhere, is the the arrogance and elitist spirit held by many Smogonites. If you aren't using the best Pokemon and the best movesets, then you were clearly dropped on your head as a child and need to think about battles correctly (that is, the way they think about them).

Other reasons include their stance on luck-based moves like Double Team or OHKO moves, which I agree with. (With such moves, either you instantly win, or leave yourself wide open for a quick defeat, either way, such matches are incredibly boring, and not satisfying in the least to win.) As well as their stance on certain other bans, which I am mixed on.

Many people in this topic will say that people don't like being told their favorite Pokemon is low tier (which is true), and that these people are just being nonsensical (which is debatable), because "Smogon makes tiers to allow you to use your favorites in an environment where they can compete," which is demonstrably false, given the mockery they subject players who like lower tiered Pokemon to, even when used in the proper teir. Seriously, there is an article in "the Smog" that insults the intelligence of players that use Gigalith in NU! If N BLEEPIN' U! is not a low enough tier to use Gigalith in, what is?

There's also an article which singles out for mockery a single Charizard user, by name, who had never created any drama, and whose only "crime" was using Charizard outside of NU. They then use this as a platform to attack newbies as a whole for the truly HORRIFIC crime of not knowing what EVs are from the moment they go onto wi-fi, and commit the HEINOUS SIN of not using things like Garchomp, Terrakion, and Stealth Rock.

Which reminds me of another reason I grew to hate them in recent years; their not-so-secret love affair with Stealth Rock. It's been a while since I looked through the articles, but I think there are at least three Smog articles that are practically love-letters to the move.