This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gotta Catch 'Em All is back...

#41HejiruPosted 8/28/2013 6:41:25 PM
Awesome. So great to see the slogan come back.
---
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense." -Tom Clancy
#42Noerah4evaPosted 8/28/2013 6:43:38 PM
I accept the challenge. On this day, August 26th, 2031 I pledge to catch them all. All of waffles. I want them all.
#43NessEggmanPosted 8/28/2013 6:46:20 PM
I don't really think "Gotta Catch 'Em All" is so relevant anymore.

I mean, yes, there are lots of monsters, and yes, you can catch them all, but... The appeal of the game is rarely ever catching them all to most players.

Most players find more fun in competitive battles, or the sense of adventure, or just catching SOME (not all) of the Pokémon based on what they like, etc etc.

Most players DON'T catch them all, and they don't really feel bad about it either.

I mean, even I complete the Pokedex and I don't really feel like the appeal of the game is catching them all.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515
#44PryexelPosted 8/28/2013 6:48:30 PM
Missingno_Mastr posted...
TherianReturns posted...
Missingno_Mastr posted...
TherianReturns posted...
I'll be the first to catch em all. All 700+ of them. As usual. =)

Well, we'll just see about that, won't we?

Yes

Well, alright, then. May the better trainer win.

Sweet! A competition to see who can catch 'em all first! Good luck guys!
---
See you at the Finish Line! ;D
Pokemon Thunder Yellow for 3DS please!
#45DrakoVongola1Posted 8/28/2013 7:15:47 PM
Why would they bring it back now, when there are over 700 Pokemon to catch? I hope this means all of them are in the game. Probably not, but a boy can dream can't he?!
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#46LilligantPosted 8/28/2013 7:33:57 PM
I don't really think "Gotta Catch 'Em All" is so relevant anymore.

I mean, yes, there are lots of monsters, and yes, you can catch them all, but... The appeal of the game is rarely ever catching them all to most players.

Most players find more fun in competitive battles, or the sense of adventure, or just catching SOME (not all) of the Pokémon based on what they like, etc etc.

Most players DON'T catch them all, and they don't really feel bad about it either.

I mean, even I complete the Pokedex and I don't really feel like the appeal of the game is catching them all.

It's almost as if a game having multiple different goals allows players to work towards different objectives based on their personal tastes.
---
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/646/15ea3o0.png
#47TherianReturnsPosted 8/29/2013 2:12:35 PM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
TherianReturns posted...
I'll be the first to catch em all. All 700+ of them. As usual. =)

Well, I would imagine that it'll be an enormous tie due to the fact that there are a large number of people who have all 649, and some rather large subset of those people will catch all Gen VI wild Pokemon before the last event, so every person from that subset (which likely includes you given the fact that you'd want SOME achievements to back up your arrogance) who gets all the event Pokemon by the time the last one's released will tie for it.

If there's a way to hack in Pokemon to the Gen VI games (and we're counting hacked Pokemon for this), then the first one will be whoever develops such a device and/or a code.

Well, I'm going to make my collection more authentic. Everything I catch will either be in pokeballs or premier balls. I'm going to have as many Pokemon as possible with my X and Y trainer's OT. And naturally, I will not use hacks at all. You can shut up now and stop trying to start meaningless conflicts that show your own shortcomings.
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. Find me at: http://www.youtube.com/user/AdventOfTherian/about
3DS FC: 1891 1428 1023 - add for Pokemon X/Y
#48Serebii from SPP(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 11:44:28 PM
Also should note that two days ago, Nintendo took ownership of the GottaCatchEmAll.com domain
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!
#49NebulaBluePosted 8/30/2013 11:49:55 PM
>not catching 'em all
http://i.imgur.com/95IzQNS.gif
#50NessEggmanPosted 8/31/2013 12:18:36 AM
Lilligant posted...
It's almost as if a game having multiple different goals allows players to work towards different objectives based on their personal tastes.

I'm saying the collection of every last monster doesn't seem to be the main appeal of the game anymore. In fact, so many monsters are left out of any given version that you really aren't even expected to "catch 'em all" unless you're really die-hard. And a slogan or tagline usually applies to a general appeal, not to a select few members of the fanbase.

It's like having a tagline for Legend of Zelda like "Get those 20 hearts!" or a slogan for Animal Crossing like "How many museum rooms can YOU fill?!" or the slogan for a Final Fantasy game being "99 of every non-unique item can be yours!"

Yes, those are optional goals that some players may enjoy, but why would your slogan for the entire game revolve around those? They're completionist goals that are outside the focus of the main gameplay.

The main appeal of Pokemon and seeming "purpose" of the game, as seen by the direction in the games themselves and even across the franchise, is about adventure and the relationship between trainers and monsters. The main goal the player has is ultimately to become champion (although there are many optional subgoals, the "main" game revolves around the events leading to the championship).

It's not about "catching them all," even if your initial task is usually scientific Pokedex research (which is often about seeing a number of a localized group of Pokemon, certainly not about catching them all).

While the first games' main plot still revolved around becoming champion, collecting all the monsters was a main focus of the multiplayer aspect of the game, which was a key selling point at the time: you can trade monsters with friends to collect many kinds. This was a fairly revolutionary concept for the time. The trading aspect is now expected and often overshadowed by newer, more "fresh" features in the game.

That's why I said this tagline doesn't feel like it's relevant anymore.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515