This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking like a good game to get competitive?

#1DasDavidPosted 8/30/2013 7:52:59 AM
I've always been a big fan of the Pokemon games but never really played them in any serious way. I raised Pokes I liked, beat the League and usually just stopped playing till I restarted. But with the Super Training and the much more accessible Wi-Fi fighting, (from the last Pokemon game I played) I've been thinking that maybe I'd be able to hop into competitive battling with this version.

Is there any long time competitive players out there that can kind of confirm this feeling? I don't really know what all there is to competitive battling, but from what we know so far, does it seem like this would be an easy one to get into it?

Or is there any more casual players out there that are feeling the same way I am?
---
Latest SSB4 Dream Roster
http://imgur.com/rlOBXRa
#291UKGamerPosted 8/30/2013 11:41:55 AM
I've been recently thinking about getting into competitive battling too. In fact, I've started practicing on Showdown for about a month. So far, it doesn't seem too hard to understand, it's just figuring out what works good and what are bad ideas I'm still figuring out properly.
---
My top 5 Pokemon:
#5 Toxicroak #4 Miltank #3 Blazenkin #2 Hariyama #1 Pikachu/Raichu
#3CalciferJenkinsPosted 8/30/2013 11:44:50 AM
I'd say IVs are definitely a bigger hurdle than EVs. I've only ever EV trained one pokemon, and it took me two hours or less, but I was soft-resetting for three days before I got one with 31 attack and 30 speed (I know that still isn't perfect, but I just wanted something to EV train for the first time).
---
Thank you, gentlemen! Someday, I will repay you. Unless, of course, I can't find you or if I forget.
#4gunsndrosesPosted 8/30/2013 11:49:24 AM
IVs suck. Don't get me wrong, Gen VI will be as good a time as any to start competitively, but you're gonna have to plunge into the s***storm that is the IV system. And unless you hack/abuse the RNG/abuse the DNS, it's not going to be a fun time.

Additionally, there's gonna be Pokemon-Amie, adding a lot more luck and chance into the game. Take what you will from all of this, but I highly suggest getting competitive in Gen V before Gen VI. Nobody knows how good or bad the metagame will be in Gen VI.
---
3DS FC: 3153-4286-2384
For an impenetrable shield, stand inside yourself.-Henry David Thoreau
#5Volren617Posted 8/30/2013 11:49:41 AM
Yeah competitive pokemon isn't terribly hard to jump into on a simulator - if you want to play on the cart you'll need to take some time and breed/train a usable team to avoid a disadvantage though.
#6DasDavid(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 12:22:39 PM
Yeah I recently started looking into some things and IVs easily sound like the toughest thing about the whole thing. I don't have a Gen V game right now, but maybe it'd be a good idea to pick one up to get used to the whole thing?

One confusion I still have though is if RGN abuse or whatever is considered okay or not? Not only does it sound like a chore but if it's frowned upon I'd much rather steer clear.
---
Latest SSB4 Dream Roster
#7AeoninPosted 8/30/2013 12:28:00 PM
DasDavid posted...
Yeah I recently started looking into some things and IVs easily sound like the toughest thing about the whole thing. I don't have a Gen V game right now, but maybe it'd be a good idea to pick one up to get used to the whole thing?

One confusion I still have though is if RGN abuse or whatever is considered okay or not? Not only does it sound like a chore but if it's frowned upon I'd much rather steer clear.

It's much less of a chore than actually trying to get the right IVs, but as far as being frowned upon goes, it's up for debate.
---
"A man's soul burns hotter than any cape." - xgamer1234
3DS FC: 1864-9225-4589
#8mralpha543Posted 8/30/2013 12:29:15 PM
I don't see any problem with RNG users, but people who don't know how to do it get mad and hate on it...
---
Rocket Professor ~ R ~ Support Elesa! Real Arceus. Third Version M 2/26/13
Official ANBU of the Pokemon boards.
#9CalciferJenkinsPosted 8/30/2013 12:29:48 PM
For sure some people frown on it. But you should look at what it is, how it's done and decide for yourself whether you think it's okay or not. It's a game, don't let frowns put you off if you're going to have fun.
---
Thank you, gentlemen! Someday, I will repay you. Unless, of course, I can't find you or if I forget.
#10DasDavid(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 12:40:32 PM
mralpha543 posted...
I don't see any problem with RNG users, but people who don't know how to do it get mad and hate on it...

Haha, if that's all the hate is then yeah, that's pretty lame of them.

CalciferJenkins posted...
For sure some people frown on it. But you should look at what it is, how it's done and decide for yourself whether you think it's okay or not. It's a game, don't let frowns put you off if you're going to have fun.

I looked into it briefly but felt somewhat overwhelmed. It honestly doesn't seem like anything too terrible though. It's not as if you're using any sort of modification to the game itself, just using some outside help to keep track of something that's happening in the game anyway?...Right?
---
Latest SSB4 Dream Roster