This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GFAQs Team - Pokemon 2 Voting

#21SorceressTharja(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 2:43:48 PM
Tatakai-No-Kami posted...
could these sets be any more stock? you'll never win with these pokemon

Explain how using a stock set means you'll never win. It's stock for a reason. Just because we're not suggesting Bug Buzz on Scizor or Hidden Power Grass doesn't mean that the set is bad.

Anyways, normally when teambuilding the first few Pokemon you choose will be fairly standard and then you'll specialize later (in your later picks and after some testing) when you know what the team is weak against.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67111080 - Interested in helping design an OU Pokemon Team as the GameFAQs community? Follow that link...
#22Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 8/30/2013 2:47:57 PM
SorceressTharja posted...
Tatakai-No-Kami posted...
could these sets be any more stock? you'll never win with these pokemon

Explain how using a stock set means you'll never win. It's stock for a reason. Just because we're not suggesting Bug Buzz on Scizor or Hidden Power Grass doesn't mean that the set is bad.

Anyways, normally when teambuilding the first few Pokemon you choose will be fairly standard and then you'll specialize later (in your later picks and after some testing) when you know what the team is weak against.

except that none of the best players actually use stock sets. they are there for the suckers to play with, and they all get stomped in the big leagues. ive been there so i know.

bug buzz on scizor is just totally asinine. you need to think like a pro, not like a chump. instead of thinking "I WANNA BE ORIGINAL ITS UNPREDICTABLE AND NOBODY WILL SEE IT COMING" you need to think "how can this pokemon get around its biggest issues"

and no, normally when teambuilding the first thing you do is figure out how you want to be different. then you fill in with stock sets if need be, though really you should just tailor the team to work the way you need it to.
---
the official BAT DRAGON of the pokemon X/Y boards
#23SorceressTharja(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 3:07:28 PM
Obviously, people will have different strategies with teambuilding. I have a Landorus-T designed beat Mamoswine 1v1 without intimidate (it both speed creeps and can take an ice shard, then OHKOs back) because Mamo wrecks that team. I'm not unfamiliar with the concept of making a Pokemon very different in order to suit the team better. I just prefer do it after some initial tests, having started out with something fairly standard which is what we'll end up with here.

I agree that the sets are kind of typical, and that makes the pokemon both predictable and often less synergistic to each other, but we can change things around to allow Pokemon to get past Pokemon that cause issues for the team when we know what they are.

For example: Weavile? Kind of a problem for Garchomp. Now, let's say the rest of our team is Skarmory, Heatran, Terrakion, Jellicent and Scizor. 4/6 of our Pokemon deal with Weavile. Do we need to change Garchomp around to beat it? No. We can switch into Jellicent on the Ice Shard then into Terrakion on either the switch or Crunch. Terrakion gets a boost and forces Weavile out. It can then wreck whatever comes in with a +1 Close Combat or Stone Edge. Alternatively, we can go straight into Scizor and then U-Turn.

Do you see my point here? There's no need to look into allowing a Pokemon to get around it's counters when we only know what 1 Pokemon is. If the rest of the team covers it's ass, then we don't need to make it cover it's ass.

(And Terrak, Scizor, Chomp, Jellicent, Heatran, Skarm were just random. Please don't try to make out I have no idea of the metagame because the team I strung together in like 5 seconds is probably awful.)
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/67111080 - Interested in helping design an OU Pokemon Team as the GameFAQs community? Follow that link...
#24Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 8/30/2013 3:37:45 PM
aside from that, some of these sets are just god awful.

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Calm Mind
-Roost
-Dragon Pulse
-Substitute

this one in particular is just really bad. for starters, latias would just rather have recover as it doesnt even have flying type to neutralize. sub is pointless in most cases except vs tyranitar and scizor, in which case you still lose HP and still dont do particularly better against them. you can go with stuff like reflect type or psycho shift burn orb to beat those threats with ease.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 172 HP / 84 Speed
Timid Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Flash Cannon

specs magnezone is not even a threat. sub leftovers is a must have, no matter what. the whole point is to trap something and set up on it so you give the next dude hell when he switches in. if you want to attack like a fool then use scarf at least.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Attack/252 Sp. Def/4 Speed
Adamant Nature
- Magnet Rise
- Agility
- Ice Punch
- Meteor Mash

this is like the worst metagross set i've ever seen. metagross' biggest counters are jellicent, skarmory and rotom-w. this set just makes them switching in 120% safer. you cant punish them at all but they punish the hell out of you and then some. thunderpunch AT LEAST. i also like explosion. metagross is another guy with trick who can take advantage of it, like if you trick a bullseye on jellicent you can explode on it or put bullseye on rotom-w and you can earthquake it.

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit

and this one, is just so easy to take advantage of its dumb. idk why people still use CB scizor, its completely outclassed by SD. scarf scizor is also cool to beat latis and starmie who think they are faster then they eat a u-turn.
---
the official BAT DRAGON of the pokemon X/Y boards
#25SorceressTharja(Topic Creator)Posted 8/30/2013 4:16:47 PM
Magnezone's purpose - in this case at least - is to take out steel types (or in this case... Skarmory and Bronzong) to clear a path for Garchomp. Therefore, it's not trying to set up at all.

I agree with Thunderpunch on Metagross.

Psycho Shift Latias is mostly a gimmick, though one I had fun using. It doesn't allow you to beat Scizor in any way, shape or form (short of HP Fire) though it will allow you to switch out more safely. Much the same with Tyranitar.

Banded Scizor is the same as 50% of Scizor. When it gets that kind of usage, it really can't be that bad.
---
#26SorceressTharja(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 4:37:38 AM
So! Returning to voting, there's just a few hours left!
---
#27SorceressTharja(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 8:52:54 AM
Voting is now over.
---