This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What were your Pokemon gaming habits 5, 10, and 15 years ago?

#1DaemonscharmPosted 8/30/2013 2:49:47 PM
I didn't really care much for Gen 4 at the time. I was still loving Sapphire and Leaf Green. Once me and my best friend discovered Nuzlockes that's all we would do. We lived together at the time so it was constant fun.

R/S was still brand spanking new. I loved it. I remember starting as all 3 starters, beating the E4 using all different Pokemon and doing it all over again. I probably beat that game about 10 times before Emerald and LG came out.

Pokemon Red. I was in 5th grade and it was HUGE. Everyone wanted Charizard but I was always a Venusaur fan. My best friend that I played with in 2008 had Pokemon Blue. Always battling each other to see who was the best. I think I used every Pokemon in the Pokedex. I was always playing to find the perfect team. I think eventually my favorites were Alakazam, Venusaur, Gengar, Scyther, Muk and Zapdos.
---
http://i.imgur.com/oIpTazi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WvefuGH.jpg
#2SirPikachuPosted 8/30/2013 2:55:22 PM

Everything was a competition between me and my cousin. We always battled, but were pretty bad. I would send out Empoleon, he would send out Torterra. I would go first and use Blizzard. That would one shot Torterra unless it missed, then he would one shot me with Frenzy Plant. All of our others weren't trained at all, so it would be boring with those final 5 just being knocked oout by Empoleon or Torterra.

I just played and had fun.

I was 1 year old. I didn't play.
---
gat mi swaeg ohn, aint ekven gun tuch meh.
#3mustardpi314Posted 8/30/2013 3:09:58 PM
I might have had my copy of Blue by then? i was late to the game, but i collected the cards and watched the show.

i didn't get a pokemon game after Blue. I think this was actually when i started playing my Blue game for real, though. But by then, nobody i knew was still playing pokemon, let alone blue/red.

If i played pokemon between 2004 and 2011, it was very occasionally and only on Blue. Yes, i was a Genwunner.
What's more interesting is in 2011 when i borrowed a copy of Emerald. I couldn't believe what i was missing. The next summer (of 2012) i bought Black and have been an on-and-off serious player since.
and i was cured of genwunnerism.
---
Official Ninetales of the Pokemon X and Y boards
Now playing SSB games, SSF4AE, and other random stuff.
#4scarface_jrPosted 8/30/2013 3:17:09 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#5Luce_ImperiusPosted 8/30/2013 3:25:41 PM
2008: Went through Pearl but wasn't playing much. Knew about EV's IV's and such so when I did battle, I tended to win.

2003: Played Ruby a bunch and my bff next door got Sapphire those were some good years of helping each other, beating on each other, and then doing speed runs and other silliness.

1998: Played some Red and Yellow with my bro. I was somewhat disenchanted because it was more fun playing with him but he didn't want to after a time and would sometimes keep the game to himself. When Gold came out later, that's when I was playing a whole bunch.
---
Yes my worldview is the Christian one. Yes I'm a gamer. I respect you as much as you respect these two things.
#6the_doctor1013Posted 8/30/2013 3:26:29 PM
in every pokemon game I've played my main team must be all male, woman are only for breeding except chansey
#7Nado6Posted 8/30/2013 3:36:06 PM(edited)

I was four and basically just used the starters pokemon I caught at victory road and legendarys.Though Gen 1 was fun for young me because there was my neighbor who played pokemon and so did a lot of my family but they lost interest as time went on.

I was 9 and the Advanced generation was out and I still basically just used my starter pokemon legendaries and pokemon I caught at victory road.

I was 14 and still basically just used by starters legendarys and pokemon I caught on victory road. It wasn't until Platinum I finally started thinking out my teams and training them equally.
#8FinalFantazyv2Posted 8/30/2013 3:40:56 PM
Down + a when throwing a pokeball. Only consistent habit I've had since the red and blue days.
---
Oh. Well. Alright.
#9Ansem_the_evilPosted 8/30/2013 3:41:03 PM
the_doctor1013 posted...
in every pokemon game I've played my main team must be all male, woman are only for breeding except chansey

I cant belive that anyone above the age of 10 even thinks this are they stil in the stage were they think girls are icky?
---
My 3DS FC: 1332-7692-1950
Current AC: New Leaf dream code: 7200-2427-9939
#10TheMasterTurtlePosted 8/30/2013 3:48:22 PM
Ansem_the_evil posted...
the_doctor1013 posted...

I cant belive that anyone above the age of 10 even thinks this are they stil in the stage were they think girls are icky?

I also do this. And no, I don't think girls are icky.

Anyways, I started to REALLY get into pokemon with Pearl though I did play Silver as a wee lad. My habits haven't REALLY changed but here they are.

- Never use female Pokemon.
- Always make sure I have at least 3 Pokemon with one type the same. In Pearl I had 3 waters, Platinum 3 steels, Black 3 Dark types and so on. I do not do this for consecutive playthroughs.
- Always carry over my Pokemon that I trained/used on my team into a main game (Black 2 right now). This way I can compare them directly in the Battle Frontier/PWT. Sadly, this prevents me from restarting until a 3rd version or remake comes out :(

When I was a kid I did one very odd thing though...

- Never evolved Machop because I thought Machoke looked dumb and at one point in Silver I had two Machops on my team.
---
OFFICIAL WARTORTLE OF THE B/W BOARDS
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThreeAmigosProductio - My short films, please enjoy yourself.