This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My IV Overhaul Idea

#1ZTIger5Posted 8/31/2013 7:43:11 PM
What do you think of this system? - Results (25 votes)
Love it!
16% (4 votes)
Like it.
16% (4 votes)
Interesting.
12% (3 votes)
Neutral.
4% (1 votes)
Meh.
8% (2 votes)
Don't like it.
16% (4 votes)
Hate it!
28% (7 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I've mentioned this several times before, but I want to make it a topic of its own with so many conversations about hacking and IVs lately.

The way I see it, IV distribution is the primary cause of hacking in Pokemon. They're a pain in the butt to work with given their random nature, and trying to breed for perfect IVs across the board takes a regrettably long time. So for those of us that are opposed to hacking and want to make the game more fun and engaging overall, there's only one thing that can be done; overhaul the IV system into something user-friendly.

First off, what are IVs? For those who don't know, IVs are "Individual Values" that are randomized between each individual Pokemon you encounter. There can be up to 31 IV points in each stat, for an incredibly unlikely total of 163. IVs not only influence a Pokemon's combat stats, but the type and damage of the Hidden Power attack, and previously (not sure about in recent games) determined a Pokemon's gender and color.

So what is the miracle solution system I'm proposing? A personal IV Administration system. The idea is simply that when you capture/receive a Pokemon, the game brings you to a screen displaying the Pokemon's stats and available IV Tallies. This screen would allow you to distribute Tallies (worth 5 IVs each for the sake of simplicity) to the Pokemon's stats, putting up to 6 Tallies (30 IV points) into stats however you choose. Working alongside natures and EVs, this could be used to significantly power up any Pokemon using a specific build of your choosing. These Pokemon would truly be unique to you according to how you want to assign their IVs.

To make this really work however, there would have to be some drawbacks. Namely there would have to be a cap to how many IV Tallies can be distributed across the board, otherwise everyone would just go for 30 in all 6 stats, effectively negating the customization purpose of the system. The cap would be rock solid, so any Pokemon being transferred over that already has maxed IVs, legal or not, would be reset and put through the allocation process. I would put the cap at around 22 Tallies (110 IVs total) so that a few stats can be maxed out while the others put into less important stats according to the Pokemon and its prospective build.

Here's an example using Glalie because of its flat 80 base in all stats, assuming it doesn't have any EVs and a neutral nature like Bashful:
Let's say I want to make my Glalie a Mixed Sweeper to fully utilize its versatility. I'll put 6 IV Tallies into Attack, Special Attack and Speed, then the last 4 into Defense and Special Defense (2 in each).

HP) 80 -> 80
Attack) 80 -> 110
Defense) 80 -> 90
Special Attack) 80 -> 110
Special Defense) 80 -> 90
Speed) 80 -> 110

That might work, but how about more of a Special Tank? I could put 6 into all of the defensive stats, and the rest into Special Attack.

HP) 80 -> 110
Attack) 80 -> 80
Defense) 80 -> 110
Special Attack) 80 -> 100
Special Defense) 80 -> 110
Speed) 80 -> 80

I hope that's an adequate demonstration of how much versatility and customization this system would provide.

Pros:
-User friendly.
-Changes a random variable into something controlled.
-Creates a level playing field for everyone.
-Eliminates stress from counting IVs.
-Pokemon feel more unique to their trainers.
-Customize Pokemon with specific Hidden Powers.
-Eliminates hacked Pokemons' advantage.

Cons:
-Eliminates the hard work of dedicated breeders.
-Umm... Can't think of anything else, so if you notice something that could be a problem, please point it out.

So that's pretty much it. Please share your thoughts and ask questions.
---
Playing) FE: Awakening, Guild Wars 2. Skyrim, Pokemon White 2, Harvest Moon 11
Waiting) Pokemon XY, Batman: Arkham Origins, Titanfall, PvZ Garden Warfare
#213121987Posted 8/31/2013 7:46:27 PM
Just have items like Rare Candies that increase IVs, IV Candies? That you can get with 10% chance with a Pickup Pokémon.

There simple solution.
#3FuneralCakePosted 8/31/2013 7:51:36 PM
Unless I misunderstood, which is quite possible given that I pretty much just skimmed all that, this basically sounds like EVs, except you don't battle to get them.

EVs basically provide most of the pros you listed except for being able to change Hidden Power, which is the big one. I mean, aside from your IV system making things more or less even, EVs provide the customization that your IV system would otherwise provide. I don't really think we should have two different controllable systems that add points to your Pokemon's stats.

Anything else your system would provide is basically also solved by just getting rid of them altogether. If anything, just add in a variable to the Pokemon's stat formulas that gets adjusted by level. This variable acts like IVs do now, except that instead of a random value for each one, it's always 31. Hidden Power would be determined by a minigame or NPC. Personally, I would prefer that to your system, no offense.
---
YOU WANT SOME FUNERAL TO GO WITH THAT CAKE?
i'm depending on a generator just to breathe in air
#4perfectchaos83Posted 8/31/2013 7:52:08 PM
Manipulable IVs kinda defeats the purpose of what the IVs stand for.
---
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/metallic_trance/alucardteatime.png
My Tsundere trio! Courtesy of metallic_trance. :D
#5Tryin2GetDaPipePosted 8/31/2013 7:53:24 PM
Maybe I read this wrong but with this system you get to chance base stats? Because your example just changes the base stats, base stats are not IVs.
---
You Trying to Get The Pipe? ~ Earl Joseph Smith III
http://theknickswall.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/JRSmith-copy-copy.png
#6uuurrrgghPosted 8/31/2013 7:56:38 PM
It's a nice idea, and any fair way of altering IVs is great in my book. However, it seems a little too similar to EVs.
---
Apparently, I'm nobody.
B2 FC: 3010 5891 4441
#7xCarn4g3xPosted 8/31/2013 8:03:52 PM
Yes, as others have noted, it's basically the same as the EV mechanic just without the work. In my opinion they should remove IV's, an increase the total amount of EV's you can use. Or, alternatively, keep IV's, but there be some type of difficult, post game mechanic you can use to slowly max out your IV's.
---
Gamertag: T0tal Carn4ge
Star Craft II Bnet name: ChaosDragon # 298
#8ZTIger5(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 8:03:58 PM
Tryin2GetDaPipe posted...
Maybe I read this wrong but with this system you get to chance base stats? Because your example just changes the base stats, base stats are not IVs.

That was my fault for misrepresentation. I couldn't think of a better way to describe it than saying "you can increase your Pokemon's stats by this much". Of course the IV build would gradually show over time like it does now, otherwise everyone would be going around with massively powerful newly-hatched Pokemon that completely outrank everything else around their level.
---
Playing) FE: Awakening, Guild Wars 2. Skyrim, Pokemon White 2, Harvest Moon 11
Waiting) Pokemon XY, Batman: Arkham Origins, Titanfall, PvZ Garden Warfare
#9Pendragon71037Posted 8/31/2013 8:07:56 PM
Almost, but it won work because of the way IV's work. Basically, there has to be a total number of options divisible by eight. (Hence the current 31, plus 0) your system only has 31 possible values, which could mess things up.
---
Chuck Finley is Forever! People that agree: 5. I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and am 100% proud of it. Yeah, it's hot, but it's a dry heat.
#10kaiser ryuPosted 8/31/2013 8:10:32 PM
The problem with this is IVs are supposed to act as the Pokemon's genes. You can't distribute your skin color, Pokemon can't distribute their natural affinity towards brain magic.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06