This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My IV Overhaul Idea

#11ZTIger5(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 7:19:23 PM(edited)
The problem with gradually maxing IVs as everyone is suggesting is that it would change your Hidden Power constantly over time into the same thing as all your other Pokemons', as it's entirely dependent on IV build. What I'm going for is something that gives the player the option to make their Pokemon truly unique quick and efficiently without any stress dealing with random, invisible numbers.

Now, I personally don't care that much about IVs or Hidden Power, but they're clearly a large part of the Metagame, so I'm just trying to propose a change to the system that would make it easier on them while establishing a level playing field for less competitive people like myself that want more in on the action.
---
Playing) FE: Awakening, Guild Wars 2. Skyrim, Pokemon White 2, Harvest Moon 11
Waiting) Pokemon XY, Batman: Arkham Origins, Titanfall, PvZ Garden Warfare
#12ZTIger5(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 7:14:35 PM
kaiser ryu posted...
The problem with this is IVs are supposed to act as the Pokemon's genes. You can't distribute your skin color, Pokemon can't distribute their natural affinity towards brain magic.

I know, which made me reluctant to seriously consider it, but the more I see people complaining about IVs the more I think something like this is the best solution.
---
#13ZTIger5(Topic Creator)Posted 8/31/2013 7:16:06 PM
Pendragon71037 posted...
Almost, but it won work because of the way IV's work. Basically, there has to be a total number of options divisible by eight. (Hence the current 31, plus 0) your system only has 31 possible values, which could mess things up.

Not quite sure I understand what you're getting at, sorry.
---
#14FuneralCakePosted 8/31/2013 7:17:32 PM
ZTIger5 posted...
The problem with gradually maxing IVs as everyone is suggesting is that it would change your Hidden Power constantly over time into the same thing as all your other Pokemons', as it's entirely dependent on IV build.

Then make it dependent on something else entirely. Hidden Power is going to need to be changed anyway, thanks to the addition of the Fairy type, so now is a good opportunity to allow us to change it at will, which would be ideal.

What I'm going for is something that gives the player the option to make their Pokemon truly unique quick and efficiently without any stress dealing with random, invisible numbers.

But EVs already do that, though. We now have the ability to see our EVs in-game, so it's really just the same concept that you have, except executed differently.
---
YOU WANT SOME FUNERAL TO GO WITH THAT CAKE?
i'm depending on a generator just to breathe in air
#15ClassyOldHatPosted 8/31/2013 7:18:33 PM
I like it, because it turns adds some thought to the thing and makes it so some pokemon aren't objectively better, but as others have said, it feels a little too much like EVs. At that point you might as well remove them or add them to EVs.

Personally, I think a better system would be to treat IVs like "free EVs" in a different way. Make it so all Pokemon have randomly assigned IVs when they are first caught, as it is right now, so when the 1% of kids who play this game and care about stat differences looks at two Pokemon of the same species, nature, and level and EV spread, they see that all pokemon are "unique" and "special" and "objectively stronger than the other, making all other members of its species inferior" thus still serving their original purpose.

From there, you EV train as normal, BUT after your EVs have been maxed out, using a Power item will instead boost the relevant IV by one point for every two battles wearing it, (Pokerus having no effect) until the IV has reached its maximum of 31. (Hidden Power will be decided by the original IV layout, and will also be base 70 all the time, to make the move actually usable. All two of the special attacking technician users will have to deal with a move with 20 less base power; it's not like moves haven't ever been nerfed between generations.)

That way, IVs still make Pokemon look unique before EV training starts, decide the hidden power, and breeding is not nullified because you can use IV passing to save time later.
#16legitgamer405Posted 8/31/2013 7:19:08 PM
Personally, I don't really like this idea that much, but it's certainly better than the IV system we have now. So I voted "Interesting." :D
---
3DS FC: 1564-2580-9641. PM me if you decide to add me.
Official Arceus of the Pokemon X Board
#17BalloonBattle05Posted 8/31/2013 7:28:32 PM
perfectchaos83 posted...
Manipulable IVs kinda defeats the purpose of what the IVs stand for.

And on the other hand, EVs, abilities and Natures do a better job of making Pokémon unique.
---
A GameFAQs user from August 1, 2010 to March 27, 2012.
Known as Megaleg back then.