This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wait... Serebii bans discussion on "fan games" but has a section for simulators?

#1ClassyOldHatPosted 9/1/2013 10:56:20 AM
I mean, sure, a lot of fan games are basically ROM hacks, which is certainly copyright infringement, but a lot of other fan games are non-RPG things that just use Pokemon characters, which isn't as significant an infringement.

And yet simulators, which are by their own admission trying to mimic both the mechanics and a number of the aesthetics of the multiplayer portion of the game as closely as possible is okay? Am I missing something?
#2NewbieN00bPosted 9/1/2013 11:07:56 AM
I didn't even know they had a simulator section....
---
Give me all teh FE D':
White FC: 4428-2451-8791
#3spooky96Posted 9/1/2013 11:11:51 AM
Simulator can mean many things, for example Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown.

If you want some little technical knowledge, here it is - it is alright to make a rom of a game which you already own and play it on a emulator/simulator. However, you you no right to distribute the rom.

The thing is way too many people use emulators/simulators in order to play the games/rom (people who don't own the actual game/cartridge), which makes it all illegal.
#4Lucidious89Posted 9/1/2013 11:17:47 AM
Im not gonna try to speak for Serebii, but i dont really find the comparison between random fan games and simulators to be valid. Fan games are all about changing up the formula of the single player to the creator's whims, and come in so many different flavors that the communities are all split. Simulators aim to be an exact replica of the game's multiplayer and are more or less universal since they dont really add or change anything about the game, just make the multiplayer aspect more accessible. Also, simulator players have more reason to form communities and have discussions since the primary reason they play on simulators is to play with other people.
#5ClassyOldHat(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 11:50:59 AM
spooky96 posted...
Simulator can mean many things, for example Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown.

Yeah, those are the ones I was talking about.

Lucidious89 posted...
Im not gonna try to speak for Serebii, but i dont really find the comparison between random fan games and simulators to be valid. Fan games are all about changing up the formula of the single player to the creator's whims, and come in so many different flavors that the communities are all split. Simulators aim to be an exact replica of the game's multiplayer and are more or less universal since they dont really add or change anything about the game, just make the multiplayer aspect more accessible. Also, simulator players have more reason to form communities and have discussions since the primary reason they play on simulators is to play with other people.

As far as copyright concerns go (which is the stated reason discussions of fan games are banned), it seems like a perfectly valid thing to me. My understanding of copyright is that you can take action against any product using something you own the rights to, but it gets easier the closer it is to a product you already own.

For example, if Nintendo didn't license Mario T-Shirts, and you decided to make some of your own, while they could pursue action against you for using a character they own on a shirt, but not as easily as if they were already selling shirts, since in that case, the shirts you were making would be creating direct competition with them.

So, to my understanding, While a platformer starring Pikachu, an RPG romhack that lets you play as Team Rocket, and Pokemon Showdown/Online all infringe copyright and/or trademark law, it seems to me that the simulators, striving to resemble the official product the closest of all of these, would actually be the easiest case to make, yet it is treated as fine by fans.

This would make sense back in gen 3 and prior, where there was no online component, so, while still infringing copyright, it may have made it different enough from the official games to make it not worth pursuing. But now that the games have online battles, there is less distinction.

But again, even without all these technicalities, Serebii bans "fan game" discussion on grounds of Copyright, when Pokemon online/showdown seem like they would be just as much of an infringement as any other fan game, if not more.
#6BowserWowserPosted 9/1/2013 12:05:51 PM
I don't see the problem here
---
its da bowser wowser bomb yall
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3376/bwbomb.jpg
#7ClassyOldHat(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 12:09:08 PM
BowserWowser posted...
I don't see the problem here

There's no "problem." I'm just confused as to why some some games made by fans are considered copyright infringement by the community and other games made by fans are not.
#8ClassyOldHat(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 8:49:44 PM
Bump, because I really want to know why the community doesn't regard simulators as "fan games" or stuff that might infringe copyright.
#9NessEggmanPosted 9/1/2013 8:56:52 PM
Does Serebii specifically say the reason there's no fan game forum is because it's considered copyright infringement?

If not, we can't answer why they choose one to be infringement and the other not to be when we're not even sure if they even consider it that way.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515
#10Darkraior99Posted 9/1/2013 9:01:00 PM
ROM hacks are the modification of copyrighted software and can be labeled as illegal. Therefore, Serebii is not taking any chances with those so-called "fan games."

Games like Pokemon Online and Showdown are recreations of the battle mechanics but do not necessarily use coding from the games themselves. This makes them more "legally safe" to talk about.
---
A game is no fun if someone's sad.