This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wait... Serebii bans discussion on "fan games" but has a section for simulators?

#11ClassyOldHat(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 9:01:13 PM
NessEggman posted...
Does Serebii specifically say the reason there's no fan game forum is because it's considered copyright infringement?

If not, we can't answer why they choose one to be infringement and the other not to be when we're not even sure if they even consider it that way.

The exact words in the rules are:

Serebii.net Forum Rules Page
15. Don't discuss fan-games.
Don't discuss or provide links to fan made pokemon games. Such games are illegal by default, and as such are not permitted here at all.
#12NeoSioTypePosted 9/1/2013 9:07:00 PM
With "by default" I guess it means illegal in a sense of being punishable by law.
#13PlasmWraithPosted 9/1/2013 9:20:15 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
NessEggman posted...
Does Serebii specifically say the reason there's no fan game forum is because it's considered copyright infringement?

If not, we can't answer why they choose one to be infringement and the other not to be when we're not even sure if they even consider it that way.

The exact words in the rules are:

Serebii.net Forum Rules Page
15. Don't discuss fan-games.
Don't discuss or provide links to fan made pokemon games. Such games are illegal by default, and as such are not permitted here at all.

I assume that means fan games can be illegal, especially if they're being sold. For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Chaos-Black-Game-Boy-Advance-Fan-Made-/321189196901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac85e3465
When he says "Such games are illegal by default," he probably means they're treated as illegal by default, since it's probably a blurry line.
However, the simulations are free to use, so that's probably not as big a deal, and not making money of someone else's IP.
---
( [] )
#14ClassyOldHat(Topic Creator)Posted 9/1/2013 10:59:47 PM
PlasmWraith posted...
I assume that means fan games can be illegal, especially if they're being sold. For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Chaos-Black-Game-Boy-Advance-Fan-Made-/321189196901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac85e3465
When he says "Such games are illegal by default," he probably means they're treated as illegal by default, since it's probably a blurry line.
However, the simulations are free to use, so that's probably not as big a deal, and not making money of someone else's IP.

Ah, if that's the case, that makes sense. I wasn't aware of any fan games that weren't free.
#15jamieyelloPosted 9/1/2013 11:06:29 PM
When you download a romhack, you usually just download a patch, you take that patch and use it on your own ripped copy of whatever Pokemon game you bought. Perfectly legal. Same thing that keeps emulators legal.
---
#16Serebii from SPPPosted 9/2/2013 11:19:48 PM
We don't have a section on simulators, we just stick our fingers in our ears. Ideally we'd ban them too but every single one of my competitive mods came at me to allow it.

In an ideal world, people would just play the actual games.
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!