This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How will the metagame change with the fairy type?

#1uuurrrgghPosted 9/1/2013 1:47:10 PM
(Since the leaked dex is fairly recent and hasn't been confirmed, I'm not including it)

-Dragon types will either dash for a steel type move, or plummet to the ground without any fairy counters

-Honedge will be almost guaranteed OU, being a hard counter to things like Scizor, and having a good chance of being able to spam SD+Shadow Sneak, in tandem with high atk

-Scizor will retain its OU status, being able to check any Fairy Types

-Sylveon will most likely be in either UU or OU, since a sample battle showed it tanking a LO critical double STAB hydro pump from a politoed, and taken down to only alf health. This may show that it is a dedicated special tank, much like Blissey, and might sacrifice some of its health for better defense. Knowing this, Sylveon could be a valuable member in defensive or balanced teams.

-Hydreigon will be in the limelight, if rumors of Fairy being weak to dark is true.

-Unless a truely threatening Bug type appears this gen (Volcarona gets checked by any SR user), Chespin is going to shine. If previous rumors are true, Chespin's evo will have bulky stats, making him great for either phazing or status spamming.

-Fennekin will hold a solid spot in either OU or UU, due to its ability to check Smogon's chronic joy for Fighting types. Given the rumors, it will also be able to either be a solid sun sweeper, or wall breaker. However, it might go into UU for 1- SR weakness, 2- Rain weakness, and 3- Hydreigon

-Froakie will most likely be in either lower OU, or high UU. Froakie sports two great offensive types, one compatible to rain, and another getting rid of pesky steel types. It could also be good at revenge killing, since rumors suggest it has a high speed stat. However, on has to look on its possible fragility, since its supposed inspiration is from either a thief or a ninja. Something like Dragonite cold be trouble for this guy.
---
Apparently, I'm nobody.
B2 FC: 3010 5891 4441
#2RotomGuy3Posted 9/1/2013 1:48:57 PM
I wonder if people will start using Poison types for STAB against Fairies.
#3ThatPersonGuyPosted 9/1/2013 1:50:48 PM
RotomGuy3 posted...
I wonder if people will start using Poison types for STAB against Fairies.

*cough cough* STEEL TYPES STILL EXIST AND STILL DOMINATE METAGAME *cough cough*
---
You can beat 'em up by any means or blow them all to SMITHEREENS, a favorite of this sentient machine!
#4Tigo73Posted 9/1/2013 1:51:25 PM
I agree with all your points, but want to comment on these:

uuurrrggh posted...

-Hydreigon will be in the limelight, if rumors of Fairy being weak to dark is true.
-Froakie will most likely be in either lower OU, or high UU. Froakie sports two great offensive types, one compatible to rain, and another getting rid of pesky steel types. It could also be good at revenge killing, since rumors suggest it has a high speed stat. However, on has to look on its possible fragility, since its supposed inspiration is from either a thief or a ninja. Something like Dragonite cold be trouble for this guy.

-Where did you get those rumors? The actual rumors say that fairy is SE against dark.

I think Froakie will see high usage, since it seems to be shaping up as an Infernape thta can abuse rain and has no SR weakness. That in itself guarantees a seat in the OU dinning table.
---
The man who will steal your candles.
Official Omoikane of the SMT IV board.
#5shadowpimpstylePosted 9/1/2013 2:09:48 PM
Starters always wind up in UU or worse, unless they have a gamebreaking ability(Speed Boost Blaziken), or that perfect combination of typing/stats/moveset for that generation's metagame(Swampert in Gen 3 and Infernape in Gen 4).

That said, if rumors turn out to be true, Froakie seems like it could possibly match or surpass Infernape's amazing status as best(non-Uber banned) starter. Being a fast, powerful sweeper with STAB on the two most powerful offensive typings with the ability to go Special, Physical, or Mixed... If given a few key support moves(much like Infernape), it could wind up being a staple of 6th gen teams.

As for the rest of the metagame-- you can never predict these things until they play out, but I see the Fairy type finally forcing Dragons to have to play a bit smarter instead of "herp-derp Draco Meteor/Outrage" once the opposing team gets a little worn down. It will be a game of one-upsmanship trying to eliminate or marginalize the opponent's Fairy to ensure that your Dragon can sweep.

Steel will be the number one type- Which will lead to an increase in Fighting/Ground/Fire attacks on movesets and possibly Dragons will probably start pairing with Fire types to deal with Fairies. If the Fairy weakness rumors hold true, then watch Poison and Steel moves become in vogue as moveset slashes.

TL;DR version- Scizor is still king and there will be a few more Haxorus with Poison Jab/Iron Tail...
#6Sloth9230Posted 9/1/2013 2:18:03 PM
Aside from fairy, Steel has redundant coverage with fighting. So i'm guessing poison will be the coverage type of choice. Steel/Fairy types can just get hit with a fighting move unless fairy resists it.
#7CakeOfLiesPosted 9/1/2013 2:58:40 PM
Tigo73 posted...
I agree with all your points, but want to comment on these:

uuurrrggh posted...

-Where did you get those rumors? The actual rumors say that fairy is SE against dark.

I think Froakie will see high usage, since it seems to be shaping up as an Infernape thta can abuse rain and has no SR weakness. That in itself guarantees a seat in the OU dinning table.

These.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3139-7420-3142 - THIEF
#8Sad_FacePosted 9/1/2013 3:06:36 PM
-Sylveon will most likely be in either UU or OU,

-Fennekin will hold a solid spot in either OU or UU

-Froakie will most likely be in either lower OU, or high UU.

Most of what you're saying, especially these, is like answering an "I'm thinking of a number..." question with "It's probably even or odd".
#9lordlugia_rocksPosted 9/1/2013 3:12:20 PM
Steel types will be the dominant type. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind right now, Steel has been one of the top 3 types since it's release in Gen 2, meanwhile Dragon only really started to pick up fame in Gen 4.

I really hope Steel doesn't beat Fairy type at this point. I don't remember if that's been confirmed already or not though lol.
---
#RememberTheManticore - SMITE
"I'll bait you and outsmart you" - nobody important
#1017MasterPosted 9/1/2013 3:26:53 PM
Tigo73 posted...

"Actual" rumor? So the rumor you heard/read is verified to be more accurate than the rumor others may have heard/read?
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/17Master