This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are Ice types so limited in regards to moves while Water types aren't?

#1MissCarriagePosted 9/2/2013 12:28:44 AM
Its a well known trend since Generation 1 that Ice types have gotten shafted in terms of moveset variability. Almost every single Water type Pokemon can learn moves like Ice Beam and Blizzard, but only a select few Ice types can learn Water type moves (and the ones that do usually can't use them very well, like Surfing Beartic). Water and Ice are made of the same properties, so I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this.
---
Love me long time.
#2fuzi11Posted 9/2/2013 12:31:54 AM
Ice Type mons that learn water type moves are mostly associated with water

like the ice bear going for a swim.

Other ice type mons have never been associated with water, like the deadly ice ghosts in the mountains who freezes people, or the ice witch who lives in the mountain, or the ice imp who freezes people in general. Or the ice hockey mask, etc
#3MissCarriage(Topic Creator)Posted 9/2/2013 12:41:59 AM
But most Water types don't associate themselves with Ice either. Why do Pokemon like Seaking or Blastoise get Ice type moves?
---
Love me long time.
#4Faust_8Posted 9/2/2013 12:48:32 AM
Simply because there's ice in the oceans, but not every cold place has liquid water, I suppose.

However, yeah, Ice has been shafted way too much. They need to resist a few types so they're not so hosed defensively.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#5PlatinitePosted 9/2/2013 1:15:45 AM
Because ice, quite frankly, sucks when compared to water. It's that way in nature, and it's that way in Pokemon as well. It has good moves, but most Ice-type Pokemon...well, they could stand to be better. Heck, one of the best ones of said type is Lapras, and IT's partly Water-type.