This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fletchling / Talonflame? Cool, but what about early Grass-types and Water-types?

#1Twilight_SonataPosted 9/3/2013 4:47:17 AM(edited)
One of the interesting side effects of starter selection is that, sometimes, your selection means waiting a very long time before being able to catch Pokemon of one of the other two types. I think we all remember back in Diamond and Pearl where not picking Chimchar meant waiting for Ponyta as the only available Fire-type until the post-game. On the flip side, Black and White gave us those detestable monkeys early on, and I think very few people want a repeat of that.

So, going along with the idea that Fletchling is the early bird of X and Y, that would give us a Fire Pokemon early on if we don't want Fennekin (though maybe Litleo could fill this role depending on how soon it becomes available). Likewise, I'm guessing that Skiddo will be available fairly early on, giving a Grass Pokemon to those that don't want Chespin. All that's missing is a Water Pokemon early on for those of us that don't want Froakie; Clauncher and Skrelp could theoretically fill this role, but it's uncommon for version-exclusive Pokemon to be present so early on in the game, at least that I can remember.

So what of this hypothetical approach? They've clearly recognized that the Chimchar-Ponyta problem is something that shouldn't happen again, but what do you think they'll do to prevent it? Will they make Fletchling, Skiddo, and [insert Water-type here] all available early on? Will they try that monkey thing again only with, you know, designs that aren't crap? Will they give us an Eevee early on and let us sort it out for ourselves? Or will they say screw it and just not worry about it?
#2jEr3mYPosted 9/3/2013 4:38:56 AM
Who knows what they have planned... Also Chimchar not Charmander
---
Non-Specific Action Figure has to be in the next Super Smash Bros game. If you agree, send me a message. Number of people who agree: 19 - updated 27 August 2013
#3PinxedPosted 9/3/2013 4:41:08 AM
Clauncher/Skrelp

Skiddo/Gogoat
---
"Do people go to Smogon's forums and complain about GameFaqs?" - Duskull24
#4JoJoX200Posted 9/3/2013 4:50:24 AM
Talonflame is the reason I'm not picking Fennekin and in DPPt, Ponyta was the reason why I rarely picked anything else than Chimchar at the start.

As for Grass type pokemon, they usually are available early on for the simple fact that plants are everywhere as opposed to Fire types that often live at more specific locations(specific as in 'not in the easily burnable forest around the corner'). Therefor I'm sure Grass types will be available this time around as well.

As for water types, Clauncher and Skrelp are likely oceanic creatures and I wouldn't count on them being available early on. Not to mention you need surf or a rod to find most water types, if we go by old games.

The fact that Talonflame exists tough had me thinking that maybe GF decided to give us early members of the FWG triade for each of the three types, so as to not having to resort to monkey distribution or the likes.
#5nro87Posted 9/3/2013 5:16:41 AM
Weren't the Caterpie and Weedle lines version exclusives in Red and Blue? They are the first two evolutionary lines after the starters. That's pretty early.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#6Twilight_Sonata(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 5:19:50 AM
nro87 posted...
Weren't the Caterpie and Weedle lines version exclusives in Red and Blue?

I don't think so? I think they just had different rarities.
#7McTCMPosted 9/3/2013 6:43:17 AM
Gen 1 had clefairy and jiggy difference after badge 1.

Also oddish en bellsprout before the second badge.
---
~Pokemon~
FC:2537 8652 0098
#8Terra_sPosted 9/3/2013 6:46:38 AM
Pinxed posted...
Clauncher/Skrelp

Skiddo/Gogoat

This.
---
I declare myself the official Irvine of the Final Fantasy XV board!
#9CakeOfLiesPosted 9/3/2013 7:27:16 AM
Froakievo, Talonflame, Honedge (if he's not awful) and maybe a previous gen Pokemon are all I'll need.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3139-7420-3142 - THIEF
#10javel34Posted 9/3/2013 7:31:26 AM
Terra_s posted...
Pinxed posted...
Clauncher/Skrelp

Skiddo/Gogoat

This.

I'm fairly certain Skrelp and Clauncher wont be early game.
---
Black 2 FC: 3569 1730 6208 She would return every so often. Her lips tasted like tragedy, but he could never forget her. How could he when she was always near?