This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Critical hits should be changed.

#11PheonixFFire7Posted 9/3/2013 9:02:33 PM
KeeperOfShadows posted...
I think if they changed crits like that I would actually quit playing.

Critical hits are supposed to be random. To limit them to items or abilities completely takes the point out of having them.

I feel like Critical Hits are actually more interesting for their ability to break through defenses. A crit completely ignores your offensive drops, and your opponent's defensive buffs. If the ONLY thing crits did was just do 2x damage and thats it, then yeah, I think i'd just want them to stay random. But the piercing effect is really cool to me, since no other effect really has that.

The problem is that because crits are completely random, its an unreliable tactic. I'd love to send out my Absol to cut right through and negate the opponent's Iron Defense boosts, but because I can't rely on my crits, it makes it much less of a strategy and more of a shot in the dark. That's why I think making the crit effect an exclusive effect for certain moves (like how Storm Throw currently works), it would make Pokemon with crit effects a reliable counter to defensive-boosting Pokemon.

Or at the very least, keep crits random still, but just on attacks with a certain base power. Like say, all moves with 70 BP have the "high critical hit ratio" effect, but no other moves can crit. That'll spread the effect out to most things and still have it random, but not to the point where its completely unknown.
#12KeeperOfShadowsPosted 9/3/2013 9:15:29 PM
PheonixFFire7 posted...

Critical hits are supposed to be random. To limit them to items or abilities completely takes the point out of having them.

I feel like Critical Hits are actually more interesting for their ability to break through defenses. A crit completely ignores your offensive drops, and your opponent's defensive buffs. If the ONLY thing crits did was just do 2x damage and thats it, then yeah, I think i'd just want them to stay random. But the piercing effect is really cool to me, since no other effect really has that.

The problem is that because crits are completely random, its an unreliable tactic. I'd love to send out my Absol to cut right through and negate the opponent's Iron Defense boosts, but because I can't rely on my crits, it makes it much less of a strategy and more of a shot in the dark. That's why I think making the crit effect an exclusive effect for certain moves (like how Storm Throw currently works), it would make Pokemon with crit effects a reliable counter to defensive-boosting Pokemon.

Or at the very least, keep crits random still, but just on attacks with a certain base power. Like say, all moves with 70 BP have the "high critical hit ratio" effect, but no other moves can crit. That'll spread the effect out to most things and still have it random, but not to the point where its completely unknown.

I think a better alternative would be to have more moves that ignore defense. You can't rely on critical hits the same way you can't rely on status effects(just inflicting them doesn't win you the battle), and that's how it should be.

Remember, a 70 BP move that crits is essentially a 140 BP attack. To make that something you could pull out constantly in battle is ridiculous. People wouldn't just use those moves all the time. Storm Throw and Frost Breath get away with this because their low 40 BP keeps them from being overpowered.
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
"Are you angry? Do you hate me?"
#13Arne83Posted 9/3/2013 9:21:30 PM
No. RPG. Deal with it or don't play.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
Snowflame is greatest comic villain ever made. Shame on DC for letting him fade into obscurity.
#14PheonixFFire7Posted 9/3/2013 10:19:58 PM
PheonixFFire7 posted...

I think a better alternative would be to have more moves that ignore defense. You can't rely on critical hits the same way you can't rely on status effects(just inflicting them doesn't win you the battle), and that's how it should be.

Remember, a 70 BP move that crits is essentially a 140 BP attack. To make that something you could pull out constantly in battle is ridiculous. People wouldn't just use those moves all the time. Storm Throw and Frost Breath get away with this because their low 40 BP keeps them from being overpowered.

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't suggesting that the 70BP moves would be auto-crits, I was saying that those would be the only moves that have a crit chance effect. This was my compromise option to keep randomness yet scale it down to just certain moves. If i was going with the auto-crit option, then all the moves that deal auto-crits would have to be scaled down to 40-50 BP.
#15LaManoNeraIIPosted 9/4/2013 12:12:04 AM
Critical hits that KO should be monster specific Fatalities instead.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009