This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My idea on how to improve the IV system

#1Biased_GamerPosted 9/3/2013 7:00:16 PM
Ifrit (Final Fantasy X) summoned!

So there's this game called Final Fantasy II that, unlike all the other games up to XIV, uses a totally different leveling system. Instead of automatic stat growth you actually get to choose which stat to increase!

What does this have to do with Pokémon you say? Well let's look at it this way, there could be some kind of secondary leveling system where you earn IV EXP based on your performance in each battle. When the EXP is full, you earn random several IV points that you can spend on any IVs, anytime! Of course, the max amount for each IVs will be 31, so when 31 x 6 = 186, that's when you've reached your limit. Sure there will be grinding involved, but at least it's a zillion times better than spending practically an eternity building the "perfect team".

Thoughts???
---
Not changing the top sig until a new Gotcha Force video game is announced. (7/11/2013)
Official Susanoomon of nowhere accepted.
#2Biased_Gamer(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 7:15:00 PM
Bump-pumb.
---
Not changing the top sig until a new Gotcha Force video game is announced. (7/11/2013)
Official Susanoomon of nowhere accepted.
#3DarnstuffPosted 9/3/2013 7:16:07 PM
What you're describing is EVs, not IVs. And that method is pretty much used in super training, without the grinding
#4sonictrainerPosted 9/3/2013 7:16:13 PM
Doesn't that have the potential to break the game?
---
The fastest Pokemon trainer alive!
#5JakeisaLiePosted 9/3/2013 8:01:47 PM(edited)
sounds like it would be more similar to EVs than IVs, but I like it

EDIT: apparently I'm not good at reading thoroughly... I still don't really like the random aspect of it, but other than that, I think it's at least better than the current system
---
http://wallbot.net/walls/preview/1841.jpeg
Official Rotom of the X/Y boards
#6acerola-orionPosted 9/3/2013 7:29:20 PM
There is really no point in having both IVs and EVs controllable by players. They would essentially be the same thing.
#7ZTIger5Posted 9/3/2013 7:37:00 PM
I've considered something like this as well, but it just didn't seem as viable as my other idea with limited IV allocation upon receiving a Pokemon, though in the end this would actually probably work. There are a few problems I see though:

First is that there's still that element of randomness, so there's not necessarily a guarantee everyone will have the potential to max out all 6 stats if they so choose. As long as random and blind luck is involved, it won't stop hackers. Especially if you need to level up a Pokemon all the way to 100 to get all the IV points.

Now, gaining IV points just with earning Exp as you put it would make it much faster and easier certainly, but would also remove some of the challenge as your Pokemon would have those points quickly building up. However, with that logic, it may act as a difficulty curve; your Pokemon would be stronger early on as you're getting settled in, then after using up those IV points other trainers will be catching up to you so it'll be gradually getting more difficult...

The last point is just a matter of logic and preference, and one of the things people brought up with my suggestion, but it's something that is completely unavoidable when dealing with IV system overhauls that involve manually changing a Pokemon's IVs; IVs are supposed to act as a Pokemon's genes and influence their personality, so changing those consciously after they've already been established is ethically wrong.
My idea handled this differently because that was organizing a Pokemon's IVs in a very specific manner right after they've been captured, so it was more akin to Fallout's SPECIAL system as opposed to changing a Pokemon's genetic code over time.

Whatever the case, hopefully the issue of IVs will be addressed in a way that discourages hacking and makes it more tolerable to deal with.
---
Playing) FE: Awakening, Guild Wars 2. Skyrim, Pokemon White 2, Harvest Moon 11
Waiting) Pokemon XY, Batman: Arkham Origins, Titanfall, PvZ Garden Warfare
#8PheonixFFire7Posted 9/3/2013 7:46:22 PM
acerola-orion posted...
There is really no point in having both IVs and EVs controllable by players. They would essentially be the same thing.

This.

Any change people suggest to increasing IV's through some method (Items, training, NPC) essentially just makes them another redundant form of EV's. If all you need is to fill them up with Vitamin-like items or through battle EXP, then at that point you might as well remove the system entirely and just raise the EV cap by 186 points.

Breeding should be the main method of manipulating IV's. It's what puts Pokemon in the same category as Dragon Quest Monsters, allowing you to mix and match to slowly create better and better monsters. The only problem is that Pokemon's breeding system in its current form is shallow and has way too much randomness mixed in still. If they refined the system so that a good breeder could fully plan out a route to get the exact IV's they wanted through careful breeding, then IV's would be perfectly fine imo.

Legendary Pokemon would still be annoying, but I actually wouldn't mind too much if they just made it so that legendary's always have perfect stats (it would be more befitting of their title, and make them a little more special than your average Pokemon).
#9acerola-orionPosted 9/3/2013 8:07:57 PM
^That is where I'll have to disagree with you. Randomness is an important element of RPGs. IVs should be as difficult to manipulate as possible, otherwise, they may as well not exist at all. Repeated breeding is really just another method of grinding. You will simply be grinding IVs through breeding, then grinding EVs through EV training. In the end, there's really no point in having both of these systems if they were both controllable by players. It would make the training process more tedious than fun. Regardless of what some may think, the IV system wasn't implemented just to spite competitive players and force them to breed for days (or worse, hack). The system was implemented to add an additional layer of randomness to the game. EVs are meant to be the controllable factor, whereas IVs are meant to be the uncontrollable factor. IVs are technically -fair- in the sense that neither player has control over them, or at least, neither player -should- have control over them.
#10PheonixFFire7Posted 9/3/2013 9:32:57 PM
acerola-orion posted...
^That is where I'll have to disagree with you. Randomness is an important element of RPGs. IVs should be as difficult to manipulate as possible, otherwise, they may as well not exist at all. Repeated breeding is really just another method of grinding. You will simply be grinding IVs through breeding, then grinding EVs through EV training. In the end, there's really no point in having both of these systems if they were both controllable by players. It would make the training process more tedious than fun. Regardless of what some may think, the IV system wasn't implemented just to spite competitive players and force them to breed for days (or worse, hack). The system was implemented to add an additional layer of randomness to the game. EVs are meant to be the controllable factor, whereas IVs are meant to be the uncontrollable factor. IVs are technically -fair- in the sense that neither player has control over them, or at least, neither player -should- have control over them.

I see what you're saying, but I think that overall, manipulating IV's through breeding would just make breeding itself a more interesting mechanic. I'm ok with reducing the randomness factor if it means another area of the game is deepened, particularly in a way that makes sense. Breeding for stronger monsters and passing down certain strengths/weaknesses from parents to offspring just makes sense (especially due to the whole "genetics" vibe that IV's already have), and gives breeding as a whole more depth and purpose.

Randomness still exists for wild Pokemon. Breeding would just be a method for dedicated players to gradually work their way up through generations to create better-than-average Pokemon. I don't want to have to grind eggs - that's where the current breeding system falls flat. Because of the randomness involved, breeding is just another form of grinding. What breeding SHOULD BE is a game of match making, like an elaborate puzzle to maximize the amount of strengths being passed down to offspring, while minimizing the amount of weaknesses.

After all, this is a monster RPG. In the same vein as Dragon Quest Monsters, Monster Ranchers and the like. Breeding is the cornerstone to building better monsters in games like this. It seems like a shame to me that Pokemon's breeding mechanics are so shallow, yield such unsatisfying results, and is so much more of a grind than it should be.