This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The only people who want IVs to begone are ignorant.

#11Twilight_SonataPosted 9/4/2013 12:44:49 AM
Arne83 posted...
IVs are pretty much the same thing as rolling for stats in D&D.

Which very few folks actually do and only when they want to. Most D&D groups nowadays work off of point-buy systems that allow direct influence over the personalization of ability scores.
#12kaiser ryuPosted 9/4/2013 12:49:23 AM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
Arne83 posted...

Which very few folks actually do and only when they want to. Most D&D groups nowadays work off of point-buy systems that allow direct influence over the personalization of ability scores.

What they don't do? Go to Tieflinggen.com and hack a max base stat character. There are ways to manually influence IVs in Pokemon. Sensible people supporting IVs just want that paradigm to be improved. Not stripped out.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#13Arne83Posted 9/4/2013 12:50:14 AM
Arne83 posted...

Ok, fair point. I haven't actually played D&D in a while... and last time I did, the DM had us roll for stats. That's why I went with that comparison.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
Snowflame is greatest comic villain ever made. Shame on DC for letting him fade into obscurity.
#14Emerald_FlashPosted 9/4/2013 12:52:56 AM
Great_Reapette posted...
Arne83 posted...
Agree. Random chance is, was, and always will be part of RPGs. IVs are pretty much the same thing as rolling for stats in D&D. If people don't like it, they're playing the wrong genre.

A reasonable person?!

On GameFAQs?!

http://www.dramabutton.com/

Yes, I am also surprised when someone directly agrees with a troll. You don't play the game well, sir.

Personally, I don't care about IVs. I don't play competitively, so it doesn't bother me that my Pokemon might not have perfect stats. I am not perfect, and nor should my Pokemon be, after all. It does seem to put the masses (of these boards, at least) into a fit, so it seems it would be most beneficial for the IV system to be tossed away. Please the purchaser, and all that.

I wont be surprised if this should go the way of WoW, catering to the age of immediate gratification. Rolling for perfect IVs seems mind-numbingly arduous in any case.
---
Official Latios of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
Saying inb4 does not make you cool, or clever. It actually makes you seem like a troll.
#15DeitylightPosted 9/4/2013 12:52:57 AM
Don't feel the trolls, people.
#16Great_Reapette(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 12:55:16 AM
Emerald_Flash posted...
Yes, I am also surprised when someone directly agrees with a troll.

Me? A troll? What is this blasphemy you speak of?
---
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.
#17Emerald_FlashPosted 9/4/2013 1:02:53 AM
Great_Reapette posted...
Emerald_Flash posted...
Yes, I am also surprised when someone directly agrees with a troll.

Me? A troll? What is this blasphemy you speak of?

Oh, you. ;)

Still, it would be appropriate to include a bit on information that is on-topic in each of your posts. Not so easily flagged, if you catch my drift.

IVs are irrelevant, we need representation of homosexuals and transgendered individuals in this game! It is simply unjust that our youth should go without exposure to these real-world occurrences that their parents might just as easily explain to them to save Gamefreak the trouble! Where is the sense of comradery, of humanity? Why should sexuality be left open to interpretation when it could just as easily be black and white, gay or straight?
---
Saying inb4 does not make you cool, or clever. It actually makes you seem like a troll.
#18acerola-orionPosted 9/4/2013 1:10:56 AM
Emerald_Flash posted...

Personally, I don't care about IVs. I don't play competitively, so it doesn't bother me that my Pokemon might not have perfect stats. I am not perfect, and nor should my Pokemon be, after all. It does seem to put the masses (of these boards, at least) into a fit, so it seems it would be most beneficial for the IV system to be tossed away. Please the purchaser, and all that.

Except it won't please the purchaser. It will only alienate the majority of the existing fanbase. This board does not represent the majority of Pokemon players. It's heavily overrepresented by competitive players since most casual players don't care enough to post here. Removing the IV system means removing an element of luck from the game. Removing all elements of luck from the game results in the game no longer being an RPG. Imagine if Pokemon was no longer an RPG and now purely strategy-based. Apparently that would please many members of this board, but it will most certainly not please the majority of Pokemon players.
#19Emerald_FlashPosted 9/4/2013 1:16:43 AM
acerola-orion posted...
Emerald_Flash posted...

Except it won't please the purchaser. It will only alienate the majority of the existing fanbase. This board does not represent the majority of Pokemon players. It's heavily overrepresented by competitive players since most casual players don't care enough to post here. Removing the IV system means removing an element of luck from the game. Removing all elements of luck from the game results in the game no longer being an RPG. Imagine if Pokemon was no longer an RPG and now purely strategy-based. Apparently that would please many members of this board, but it will most certainly not please the majority of Pokemon players.

You seem to be under the impression that the masses are aware of IVs. I honestly don't think the average Pokemon fan would give two thoughts to the loss of something that doesn't effect them at all.

They will be pleased to have the game at all. Tell them they won't have to spend hours ironing out their perfect Pokemon, they will be even more pleased. Be realistic. I understand that you cannot cater to everybody, but in Pokemon, it would be quite simple to cater to most everybody.
---
#20acerola-orionPosted 9/4/2013 1:50:49 AM(edited)
That is not the case at all. I am fully aware that most casual players have no idea the IV system even exists.

But I'll admit, I jumped ahead of myself. I apologize. It's true that the removal of the IV system will have no direct impact on anyone playing the game casually. But casual players need not know of the existence of the IV system to be affected indirectly. The IV system is only one of Pokemon's luck-based elements (albeit, a rather major element, despite not being particularly noticeable to most players). The less luck-based the game becomes, the less of an RPG it will be. And that is something people -will- notice. If every move suddenly had 100% hit and 0% crit, it's hard to believe that any Pokemon fan wouldn't notice. Of course, IVs are a much less extreme case and would have virtually no effect on non-competitive players, but it still contributes to the important randomness factor of RPGs, while -technically- not doing any harm (since the RNG is unbiased, therefore, technically fair), so there is no overwhelmingly good reason to remove it.