This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Nintendo charging for previous gen transfers is kinda scummy.

#31LexifoxPosted 9/4/2013 4:59:15 AM
FuneralCake posted...
Inkydog26 posted...
Apparently people think $5 is too much for 3000 Pokemon storage space.

Uh, because it is? It should be free. Hell, they should pay us to use it, even.

Ladies and mentlegen, the modern entitled gamer.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#32ClassyOldHatPosted 9/4/2013 4:59:39 AM
jneal57 posted...
Free trial.

Get in and get out

For those of us who can't get internet during the trial period? (Like we said about events in general, there are extreme circumstances for a lot of people.) I'm at a college that has Wi-Fi specifically designed to block video game systems, without a car, and with no shop with free wi-fi within walking distance. And seeing how we don't know how long this upload/download will take per Pokemon, there's no telling if it will be practical to mooch off someone else's car. So now I'm going to have to pay an annual fee for a service I can only use during Spring and Summer break.

Lexifox posted...
Yeah, I don't know why they expect us to pay for an optional service that amounts to having a bunch of servers that will regularly require power, maintenance, etc. That sort of infrastructure sounds pretty cheap, especially considering how much they do with free online, etc., right?

Thing is, it didn't HAVE to be cloud based. They could have made a "free" transfer app with the game that kept it on the 3DS hardware between generations, rather than the internet. Dragon Quest did it.
#33RX0mega(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 5:00:37 AM
Congrats on intentionally missing my point to try and f*** with me.

Lexifox posted...
They didn't because the past games were fairly compatible in terms of systems. The 3DS and DS are not.

Doesn't justify why we need a program that uses cloud storage for this.

k, so where are you that you got Pokemon Ranch, etc. for free and hosted on a server run and maintained by Game Freak?

Congrats on showing you do not posses basic reading comprehension! Pretty sure I was using it as an example of why they don't need to make a program like this that uses outside resources.

Those features don't require storage from hundreds of thousands of people putting up potentially thousands of Pokemon, accessing them at their leisure and on demand, etc., constantly moving around data that they basically cannot afford to lose.

And one again you miss the point of a post to try and make a really bad point. They need to use a online cloud storage based program instead of one that uses internal system memory storage like the previous two times they made this sort of thing because...?

Oh, I know! Because they want to be able to charge people for it for more money over time! Precisely why I think this is a mild issue that has nasty implications for the future.

You know that toilets aren't for flushing money down, right? They make a special paper for that sort of thing.

And once again you miss the point. I suggest you leave debating people for when you've properly learned the English language.

All up I have to say, congrats on making one of the most transparent attempts to start a fight I've seen in some time (not an easy feat given where I typically lurk). I used to hold you in some sort of decent regard, after all of that I now have nothing but contempt for you now, contempt and irritation. And being irritated always brings out the worst sides of me.
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board
He who calls someone a fanboy as an insult is likely a fanboy themselves.
#34UmuruPosted 9/4/2013 5:01:02 AM
Lexifox posted...
FuneralCake posted...
Inkydog26 posted...
Apparently people think $5 is too much for 3000 Pokemon storage space.

Uh, because it is? It should be free. Hell, they should pay us to use it, even.

Ladies and mentlegen, the modern entitled gamer.

Dammit people. Too early for satire. Can't we save it until at least the middle of the morning? >_<
#35Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 9/4/2013 5:01:16 AM
Umuru posted...
It's about a penny a day and you only pay the fee once a year. It isn't like you have to pay a fee every time you upload a Pokemon or something...

a penny a day is only 3.65, or 3.66 every 4 years. lrn2math
---
the official BAT DRAGON of the pokemon X/Y boards
#36LexifoxPosted 9/4/2013 5:10:28 AM
ClassyOldHat posted...
Thing is, it didn't HAVE to be cloud based. They could have made a "free" transfer app with the game that kept it on the 3DS hardware between generations, rather than the internet. Dragon Quest did it.

They did not, but they did, and they have a free month to use the service, in keeping with their usual plan to provide incentives to buy early. There's also little incentive to create the transfer app when this will help advertise their new service, to say nothing of the hours, etc. that would go into it.

It also helps that this is a recurring service that they can have to ensure that you'll be able to keep transfers, etc. in the future instead of having to constantly release more apps and updating things for the new games or gens (remember how PokeRanch had the Platinum update that not everyone got, and then HG/SS?).

RX0mega posted...
Congrats on intentionally missing my point to try and f*** with me.

I can't miss what you don't make.

Doesn't justify why we need a program that uses cloud storage for this.

No, it just provides good reason.

Congrats on showing you do not posses basic reading comprehension! Pretty sure I was using it as an example of why they don't need to make a program like this that uses outside resources.

If I misread something, I apologize. It is rather early and I'm not running on pure rage-fumes like some people. That said, they weren't free. You had to pay for them. You spent, what, $20 on it? So that's roughly what you'd spend for a few years of this service, until Gen 7 comes out and you'd buy a new thing.

And one again you miss the point of a post to try and make a really bad point. They need to use a online cloud storage based program instead of one that uses internal system memory storage like the previous two times they made this sort of thing because...?

Oh, I know! Because they want to be able to charge people for it for more money over time! Precisely why I think this is a mild issue that has nasty implications for the future.

Because the alternative is providing something an app that will inevitably deal with people whining that they deleted their app by accident, they lost something, etc. instead of offering a service that will run you roughly the same as buying their app, with a few added layers of security that you'll be able to access it in the event something happens to your game or data, to say nothing of compatibility being an issue?

And once again you miss the point. I suggest you leave debating people for when you've properly learned the English language.

All up I have to say, congrats on making one of the most transparent attempts to start a fight I've seen in some time (not an easy feat given where I typically lurk). I used to hold you in some sort of decent regard, after all of that I now have nothing but contempt for you now, contempt and irritation. And being irritated always brings out the worst sides of me.

Really, personal attacks? I thought you were cool. Irritable and irrational, but cool. Like the grandpa no one wants to visit because he hits you with his cane and rants about the war.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#37Redstreak42Posted 9/4/2013 5:18:30 AM
Tatakai-No-Kami posted...
Umuru posted...
It's about a penny a day and you only pay the fee once a year. It isn't like you have to pay a fee every time you upload a Pokemon or something...

a penny a day is only 3.65, or 3.66 every 4 years. lrn2math

1.3 pennies rounded = 1 penny. Hence his about. lrn2reason.

This is really not a big deal, and for the convenience and security of it worth every cent to me. I've always been horrified lugging around my collection, and now I can keep somewhere else where dropping my ds or losing a cart wont kill hundreds of hours worth of effort.