This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To all the whiners: Servers cost money

#41TranquilSeaPosted 9/4/2013 8:33:26 AM(edited)
arvilino posted...
It's unlikely there would be transferal without this service. Even a couple months back they've specifically stated they had difficulties and issues with the possible transfer.

http://www.examiner.com/article/pokemon-x-and-pokemon-y-transfer-issues-with-previous-games-revealed

So it's more of a case of this application being extended into transferring between generations or no transfer at all.

I'm aware of this. It's just that I strongly suspect an offline method could have done the trick. Have the DS game communicate with an app like with the Dream Radar, except the DS game sends data to the app, using the SD card as storage, and then have the app modify any necessary variables to make the data compatible with X and Y. I think a user here may have mentioned there was a precedent for data transfer from the DS to the 3DS using an app, though I have no clue what series it is.

Sloth9230 posted...
Could they? Probably. No. Almost 100% certainly. But they didn't, too bad. Now, why should it be free? Do you have any reason for why it should be free other than "it was free in the past".

They have everything to gain by making transferring as accessible as possible, and if they could have done it while avoiding server costs, I don't know why they wouldn't have. But then again, they did create that abomination called the Dream World, so I can't say their devs are 100% sane.
---
you know the closer you get to something
the tougher it is to see it
#42DarkKirby2500Posted 9/4/2013 8:33:27 AM
LaManoNeraII posted...
I'm just amused at people dogging Nintendo for never supporting online features and then when Nintendo reveals a persistent cloud storage service which will serve all future Pokemon games for only $5 a year they dog them even more. Way to send a clear message.

Almost nobody wants to use the cloud storage. People just want to transfer game to game, which could have been done for free without using their servers, but they chose to tie it to a pay service almost nobody wants to use so they could make money off of it.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#43SmogoonPosted 9/4/2013 8:34:37 AM
Mewtwo_soul posted...
Second, I'm pretty sure poster was saying they would personally have to buy another 3DS which means they'd still be doing it without human interaction.Derp.

"I will pay more than 100 quid for something I already have so that I won't have to talk to another person"

So much lol.
---
http://imgur.com/a/tzy9l
Co-Founder of the Certified Gangstas / Smogang
#44LaManoNeraIIPosted 9/4/2013 8:47:45 AM
DarkKirby2500 posted...
LaManoNeraII posted...
I'm just amused at people dogging Nintendo for never supporting online features and then when Nintendo reveals a persistent cloud storage service which will serve all future Pokemon games for only $5 a year they dog them even more. Way to send a clear message.

Almost nobody wants to use the cloud storage. People just want to transfer game to game, which could have been done for free without using their servers, but they chose to tie it to a pay service almost nobody wants to use so they could make money off of it.

Interesting...

I'm gonna go a head and consider that not very true.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#45Grammar_manPosted 9/4/2013 8:56:43 AM
For those saying "Buying another DS? Lol get some friends"

Yeah, because so many friends would love to spend hours on helping you transfer your pokémon.

Borrowing a friends DS, that might work, but who's to say that they want to part with it?
#46NarutoPosted 9/4/2013 8:58:53 AM
Grammar_man posted...

Yeah, because so many friends would love to spend hours on helping you transfer your pokémon.

Borrowing a friends DS, that might work, but who's to say that they want to part with it?

Because you're friends that help each other out? You transfer yours and then they transfer theirs... basis for a friendship.
#47Coryo61827Posted 9/4/2013 9:10:25 AM
Is it really only $5 a year? If so that's not a bad deal at all. I support this! :)
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.11
#48Mewtwo_soulPosted 9/4/2013 9:12:57 AM
Smogoon posted...
Mewtwo_soul posted...
Second, I'm pretty sure poster was saying they would personally have to buy another 3DS which means they'd still be doing it without human interaction.Derp.

"I will pay more than 100 quid for something I already have so that I won't have to talk to another person"

So much lol.

That's not what I said.

My point of what I said

Your head.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#49Mewtwo_soulPosted 9/4/2013 9:14:04 AM
Naruto posted...
Grammar_man posted...

Because you're friends that help each other out? You transfer yours and then they transfer theirs... basis for a friendship.

Assuming they even play Pokemon or have a DS in the first place.
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#50Master XPosted 9/4/2013 9:35:31 AM(edited)
I know servers cost money. I just don't get why they need to be stored on servers. Surely it shouldn't take up THAT much room to store some Pokemon on an SD card information for the Pokebox app.

You've got to assume there's at least as much storage in this new game as the previous (if not more) which likely means most people playing the game will NEVER need Pokebox Cloud to begin with. The problem (as far as I can tell,maybe my info is out of date?) is that you need to buy the Pokebox Cloud just to get the B/W>X/Y transfer, which is stupid beyond belief.

OF COURSE, $5, so who gives a ****. But when was it confirmed it was just that?

I think what some people fear too is; auto-filters to remove hacked Pokemon. If this transfer is also built into the cloud box, then that means it could possibly filter out and stop transfers of zillions of hacked/dodgy Pokemon (for you cheaters out there). Likely the Cloud reason? Or...

Gamefreak happened on a way to duplicate 3DS app data and realized the corrupt would take advantage and duplicate whole boxes of Pokemon.
---
GAMERTAG: Casperstar X "For those of you wondering whether the above made sense, you've just answered your own question."