This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Alright, one thing I need confirmation on.

#1brawl__08Posted 9/4/2013 8:18:21 AM
Pokémon Bank is a paid service. Fine. Whatever. This isn't terribly far off from Box or Ranch and it can be safe to assume that we'll have more than enough boxes ingame for X and Y.

Has Pokemon Transfer been confirmed as required for payment? This is important.

Ever since Gen 2, transfers have been free. You'd have to pay for extra systems or cables or whatever, but more often than not you could just use someone else's stuff. Ever since then, they've attempted to make the process easier. Gen 3 had no transfers from Gen 2 due to hardware limitations, but Gen 4 made it easy by allowing you to stick in the GBA game with the DS game. Gen 5 didn't have the option of doing that, but transfers were still possible with two systems, made even easier with a 3DS on hand to go along with a DS.

Now, why require payment for transfers when other methods have worked just fine? Even now, who's to say they can't use DS Download in the same way that Gen 5 did for Gen 4? Personally, I think it can and should be done if it hasn't already been confirmed.

There IS a slippery slope here. Microsoft took full advantage of their pay2play online scam, which Sony has seen the potential in and is now utilizing for themselves. I'd really like to avoid having Nintendo consider such unfavorable options in the future. If anything, this is the testing ground. One of their biggest franchises demonstrating the potential of future systems. The question isn't "why wouldn't you pay for something so cheap", it's "why would you pay for something cheap when it used to be free?"
---
http://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/Brawl08.gif
#2The_DragonwPosted 9/4/2013 8:20:10 AM
Apparently, download play wouldn't work between a 3Ds game and a standard DS game. Why exactly is beyond me.
---
White Friend Code: 1764 2206 9014
#3TranquilSeaPosted 9/4/2013 8:21:30 AM
I see people arguing that there was no other way transferring could have been implemented, just because of that comment at the round table about DS and 3DS games having difficulty communicating. Most people have speculated that an app as an intermediate step would have solved that issue, and that online wasn't necessary. I believe there's even a precedent for it with another series.
---
you know the closer you get to something
the tougher it is to see it
#4brawl__08(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 8:25:14 AM
An individual app could very well work, or even an update to the 3DS' version of download play could be effective, unless there are elements to it which I don't understand.

Quite frankly, in this digital age, I find it hard to believe that the ONLY option is a paid option.
---
#5PheonixFFire7Posted 9/4/2013 8:31:16 AM
Even if the fee is off-putting, I honestly prefer this method a million times over than all the previous methods.

Transfering Pokemon without having to purchase another system to transfer to yourself, in bulk, without some stupid restriction or mini game, or having to trade one by one with yourself. Even with a fee attached, this method of an online storage system is absolutely the most convenient method they've introduced so far.
#6brawl__08(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 8:37:42 AM
I'd be at least slightly okay with the fee method if another method similar to past ones still exists.

I have a 3DS and a DS. Can that suffice, please? Even if it boils down to requiring two 3DS systems, I wouldn't mind because I know plenty of people who own a 3DS which I could easily borrow should the need arise.

This new system may be helpful to some, but it is definitely detrimental to others all the same.

Also, you're wrong on this new method being the most convenient. Transferring from RSEFRLG to DPPTHGSS was the best. Just the games and a single DS phat/lite system would do.
---
#7QueskerPosted 9/4/2013 8:47:25 AM(edited)
I think there's one other thing that people forget about: Nintendo plans to use this method for a long time, and that means well into future generations so they don't have to constantly keep making up one-time methods between generations nor design the handhelds with the Pokemon transferring in mind, because honestly, that could be, in a way, restricting of the handheld's design.

Also, you're wrong on this new method being the most convenient. Transferring from RSEFRLG to DPPTHGSS was the best. Just the games and a single DS phat/lite system would do.

I think he's referring to the fact that there's no mini-game in the way of transferring. Just transfer the pogeymanz, and you're done.
---
7 is good. I swear the school's 75-100 grading scale has ruined peoples perception of things.
-MillionGunmannn
#8TranquilSeaPosted 9/4/2013 8:53:44 AM
The transferring itself may be convenient, but having to renewing my subscription every summer just because I have half a dozen additional critters I want to move is inconvenient, not to mention slightly annoying.
---
you know the closer you get to something
the tougher it is to see it
#9Darksamus89Posted 9/4/2013 8:56:38 AM
I understand the bank requiring a fee, but the fact that the transfer is connected to it is outrageous. I have absolutely no intention of paying anything for some very occasional Pokémon transfers.
---
Metroid fans: http://metroidr.brpxqzme.net/
Our student game project: https://www.facebook.com/mcegame
#10brawl__08(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 9:10:47 AM
Quesker posted...
I think there's one other thing that people forget about: Nintendo plans to use this method for a long time, and that means well into future generations so they don't have to constantly keep making up one-time methods between generations nor design the handhelds with the Pokemon transferring in mind, because honestly, that could be, in a way, restricting of the handheld's design.

Not offering free wireless p2p transfer is just disgusting though. It's a simple method with the most convenience that many have utilized and taking it away and charging those people is just downright scummy.

Not to mention making a little app for this is less than pocket change for a company the size of Nintendo.

I think he's referring to the fact that there's no mini-game in the way of transferring. Just transfer the pogeymanz, and you're done.

The minigames are fairly easy to handle though and only require that you play a little bit of the game rather than spend more money for the content you already own.

It certainly doesn't reek of "garbage businessman decisions", anyhow.

Darksamus89 posted...
I understand the bank requiring a fee, but the fact that the transfer is connected to it is outrageous. I have absolutely no intention of paying anything for some very occasional Pokémon transfers.

Agreed, the fact that there are others on here who don't mind a single bit about the change with no other options being noticeably available is sickening as well.
---