This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Alright, one thing I need confirmation on.

#11KaizukezuPosted 9/4/2013 9:26:07 AM
I'm sure you all caught it, but they said multiple times that the Pokemon Bank app is a "Cloud service" based program. Meaning, Nintendo has to pay to create the servers. Nintendo has to pay the employees/workers to keep the servers up and running so you don't lose your Pokemon. And Nintendo has to pay workers to make updates to the system.

They can't do it for free, because what would they pay the people who work on the servers? Pay them in trident layers? That just won't do. Any cloud service, there's always multiple people working in the background to keep everything running to prevent a loss of someone's information, it's no different this way.

That's why there's an annual cost. Not because all Nintendo is thinking about is money, but because they NEED the money to make sure everything goes smoothly.
---
3DS Friend Code- 2535-3717-4504
White Friend Code- 0476-3773-4673
#12TranquilSeaPosted 9/4/2013 9:32:50 AM
Kaizukezu posted...
I'm sure you all caught it, but they said multiple times that the Pokemon Bank app is a "Cloud service" based program. Meaning, Nintendo has to pay to create the servers. Nintendo has to pay the employees/workers to keep the servers up and running so you don't lose your Pokemon. And Nintendo has to pay workers to make updates to the system.

They can't do it for free, because what would they pay the people who work on the servers? Pay them in trident layers? That just won't do. Any cloud service, there's always multiple people working in the background to keep everything running to prevent a loss of someone's information, it's no different this way.

That's why there's an annual cost. Not because all Nintendo is thinking about is money, but because they NEED the money to make sure everything goes smoothly.

I hope you caught the first few words of the opening post. We get the Pokemon Bank app and the costs associated with that, we really do. What's absurd is tying the transfer feature to it. It's a bad move on their part, and they'd be wise to rectify it.
---
you know the closer you get to something
the tougher it is to see it
#13PheonixFFire7Posted 9/4/2013 10:56:54 AM
Well, the fee only kicks in after January 31st. I feel like they purposely did this so that everyone who wants to transfer but has no interest in using the Bank app for anything else have plenty of time to transfer all of their Pokemon over without having to pay anything. That gives you about 3 and a half months to carry over your Gen V collections.

Yes, I can see the whole "but what if you don't buy XY during the launch window!" argument, but really, we should just be happy we can even transfer from Gen V at all. I feel like Gamefreak is trying to fully push Pokemon into an online experience with this Bank idea, allowing us to easily back up and maintain our collections throughout this and future generations all in one place. I don't think we're EVER going to see a cart to cart transfer method again. From now on, each of us will just have our own personal storage space on the internet for our ever increasing Pokemon collections that we carry with us through each new generation. This was the inevitable next step for the franchise in the digital age.

So yeah, we have to pay to transfer from Gen V (after the first few months), but you have to realize....this is how all future games are gonna work. The idea of "transferring" won't even exist after Gen VI. From now on, we'll just have one massive collection that we always have access to regardless of which game we're playing. Every Pokemon game will become unified thanks to cloud storage.
#14PheonixFFire7Posted 9/4/2013 10:57:10 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#15arvilinoPosted 9/4/2013 11:07:57 AM
Nicely put. The fact they dedicated a large proportion of the Nintendo direct to it and explicitly said this is a very long term system(especially noticeable due to the mention of a certain woman wanting to share her Pokémon with her children and eventual grand children).

This is a shift to a unified online method for how Pokémon will be stored and transferred between games, with the transporter application just being an exception to allow Generation V games to put Pokémon in the Pokémon Bank(hence why you still need the application).
---
"The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time."