This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Yet another IV overhaul idea (growth rate percentage).

#1ZTIger5Posted 9/4/2013 10:30:44 AM
Thanks to maslada for giving me inspiration for this mechanic.

When it comes to overhauling the IV system, I consider there to be three necessary factors to make it viable in the sense it will reduce the need to hack while making it fair and fun:
1) A cap to the total IVs potentially obtained.
2) Suppression or elimination of the random element.
3) Leveling the playing field so everyone has easy access.
The system as a whole could be removed, but there are many who argue against such a course of action for the sake of tradition, individuality, expanding the breeding system, and adding luck to the equation in homage to the standard RPG format.

So I've been refining this idea since last night, and I think I have a winning combination. The main premise of the overhaul is to change IVs from solid stat bonuses into a percentage that influences your Pokemon's growth. Instead of 31 IVs adding a straight 31 points to the Pokemon's stat over time, an IV of 31 would provide a 31% chance of that stat to increase by 1 extra point upon level-up. I trust you can see how that would make an enormous difference? The level of variance between two of the same Pokemon, even given the same Nature, EVs and IV build would still set them apart from each other because their growth would be put to chance. I haven't quite decided how to work this out exactly; whether it should be based on what percentage of their base stat total certain stats are (high percentage = high IVs), or if higher stats directly correlate with a certain range of IVs.

There are two possible ways to expand upon this idea in a way that keeps breeding relevant while reducing the arbitrary need to hack in Pokemon:

The first is for those who agree with me on my point about avoiding overall maxed IVs by setting a cap. In this case, IVs always add up to a specific value. This would include a variance of the breeding mechanic added in HGSS where parents holding Power items will send their IVs down to their children; for example, if a parent holding a Power Weight has the max HP IV within their applicable range, the child will have the max HP IV within their applicable range.

Alternatively, for those that insists on being able to get all 6 stats to 31 IVs, the limit would be removed and sets of 31 IV could be bred down the line much more easily, resulting in full sets of 31s within just a few generations given careful planning. While this option doesn't wholly eliminate the inherent problems with the IV system, it does suppress the randomness by guaranteeing high IVs for Pokemon with high base stats.

Whichever the case, the point of the overhaul is to alleviate the pains of dealing with IVs by suppressing the random factor into something that's more easily observed and controlled through careful breeding. I feel a system like this would provide that sort of style, where the rich get richer and the poor get marginally less poor by using the Pokemon's existing base stats as the math behind IVs. The IVs in this system also have the potential to change accordingly with the Pokemon's evolutionary path (ex: Eevee's Attack IVs would shoot way up when evolving into Leafeon, or its Speed IVs would when evolving into Jolteon) to reflect how IVs are that Pokemon's genes.

People like me just want to be able to catch Pokemon with the right nature, put it on our team and be on our way. To those people that want to and enjoy spending hours, days even calculating how to breed Pokemon with perfect IVs, kudos to you, but not everyone has that kind of time or patience. The multiplayer should be open and fun for everyone that wants to participate, not just the people that take their time breeding Pokemon to perfection, and especially not those that simply hack in perfect Pokemon.

Please tell me what you think =)
---
Playing) FE: Awakening, Guild Wars 2. Skyrim, Pokemon White 2, Harvest Moon 11
Waiting) Pokemon XY, Batman: Arkham Origins, Titanfall, PvZ Garden Warfare
#2RoobitysuPosted 9/4/2013 10:32:14 AM
Not only will people still want high IVs, but people will soft reset levels to make sure they get the maximum stat boosts.

Or, you know... just hack their Pokemon so they all got their maximum stat boosts.
---
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82442627/Adelle.png I draw lolis :D https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82442627/IsawaKiyokoAlternate.png
#3luigispezzottiPosted 9/4/2013 10:33:41 AM
Oh dear lord...
#4luigispezzottiPosted 9/4/2013 10:35:06 AM
This is almost as bad as the idea I saw about IV's being randomized every time you enter battle.
#5AtrabelosPosted 9/4/2013 10:35:39 AM
Hackers now get an extra 100 stats in every single statistic and still have legitimate Pokemon.

This might legitimately be the worst idea I've ever heard about how to revamp the IV system. Kudos on that.
#6ZTIger5(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 10:37:31 AM
Atrabelos posted...
Hackers now get an extra 100 stats in every single statistic and still have legitimate Pokemon.

This might legitimately be the worst idea I've ever heard about how to revamp the IV system. Kudos on that.

****... Didn't think of that.
---
#7ZTIger5(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2013 10:40:50 AM
Well, I feel like an idiot. Any mods want to take this down before I embarrass myself any further? Thanks in advance.
---