This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

New Ability: Mega Launcher (Description )

#1reflectivesPosted 9/4/2013 1:57:04 PM
Pulse moves such as "Water Pulse" and "Dark Pulse" become stronger.

Probably the Iron Fist of pulse moves?

Does blastoise learn dark pulse normally? If so this means that this ability will be available to other Pokemon

Source: official website

((Side note: I wonder if other moves besides pulse moves will get boosted)))
#2zeik56Posted 9/4/2013 1:58:39 PM
He doesn't learn Dark Pulse in B/W, but since it's included in the description on the main website I feel like that basically confirms that he learns it in X/Y.
---
I'm a dick, and I want to subject other people to that. ~ R.I.P. Ryan Davis
#3Rad_DudesmanPosted 9/4/2013 1:59:40 PM
I'm guessing Clauncher will get this ability too
---
The official rad dude of the Pokemon X board.
Blaze the Cat is cool. People who agree: 1
#4suddenSOUNDPosted 9/4/2013 2:00:36 PM
Anyone else feel that this ought to include cannon moves as well? It seems like an ability Octillery would get.
#5SocranPosted 9/4/2013 2:14:28 PM
It's actually a very strange ability, because the moves aren't based on cannons, they're based on spiritual energy. In Japan, these are the "hado" moves (which, yes, is the namesake of Ryu's Hadoken). "Hado" means "wave" or "surge" (or, of course, "pulse"), and Water Pulse is only a part of the group because of that pun. It's also the only one that can't be learned by Lucario, whose "aura" is actually the same "hado" - if it followed the same translation convention, "Aura Sphere" would've been called "Pulse Bomb".

So it seems unusual that a cannon-based ability would boost a set of moves that are all based on waves of spiritual energy with a single ocean wave pun thrown into the mix.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#6CharizardFirePosted 9/4/2013 2:18:03 PM
It's actually a very strange ability, because the moves aren't based on cannons, they're based on spiritual energy. In Japan, these are the "hado" moves (which, yes, is the namesake of Ryu's Hadoken). "Hado" means "wave" or "surge" (or, of course, "pulse"), and Water Pulse is only a part of the group because of that pun. It's also the only one that can't be learned by Lucario, whose "aura" is actually the same "hado" - if it followed the same translation convention, "Aura Sphere" would've been called "Pulse Bomb".

So it seems unusual that a cannon-based ability would boost a set of moves that are all based on waves of spiritual energy with a single ocean wave pun thrown into the mix.

Lucario can learn Water Pulse in Gen 4 from TM03.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
#7SocranPosted 9/4/2013 2:36:23 PM(edited)
CharizardFire posted...

Lucario can learn Water Pulse in Gen 4 from TM03.

Oh? I specifically checked Bulbapedia and did a ctrl-F on "pulse". *Checks again* ...Yeah, still nothing. No mention of Gen IV at all, actually. Friggin' wikis.

Well, anyway, there you have it. Lucario gets all the Pulses, because he's the Pulse Pokemon, except they changed it to Aura instead for him.

...Actually, do we know what the Japanese name for MB's ability is? Maybe that would clear things up. If the Japanese name was "Wave Motion Gun", that would explain why it works with Pulses and also be an awesome reference/pun.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#8CA0001Posted 9/5/2013 12:25:06 AM
This ability is most likely Clauncher's signature ability.
---
FC: 0518 8972 2483 (Black) 0046 9893 2351 (White2)
#9EHeroHaneKuriboPosted 9/5/2013 1:32:19 AM
If I recall, all Pulse attacks are animated by throwing a bomb at the enemy, or at least, are in the anime. I guess the idea is that he launches the bomb from his cannon?