This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The difference between good dlc and bad dlc

#61Sloth9230Posted 9/5/2013 1:00:25 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
Sloth9230 posted...
Burger King used to sell 2 chicken sandwiches for the price of one, now they charge me for the second one :(

That's more comparable to event Pokemon, it's not always part of the game, but it's nice when it you can get them.

This would be more comparable to "Ketchup on chicken sandwiches used to be free, now there's an extra 50. cent fee for it."

...I'm feeding a troll, aren't I?

Well, Subway did start charging for avocados 3 years back or so. I think...
#62willingmessPosted 9/5/2013 1:23:16 PM
Ok, I don't mind paying for the app whatsoever.

What I do care about, is that it's a cloud based service (Making it a subscription, rather than just one payment), when it could be accomplished without the need of the cloud.

I mean, even Microsoft has an offline option...

....After massive complaints.
---
Warning: reader discretion is advised for the preceding post! Read it, it's funny!
#63Rogue MuttPosted 9/5/2013 2:56:36 PM
WrenchNinja posted...

Rogue Mutt posted...
Everyone is getting a free 30-day trial for Pokebank when it is released in December. The free trial fixes the issue of having to pay to access your old favorites.

If you do not take care of the transfer within that time period, then that is on you. I feel for the people that for some unavoidable reason will not have access to the internet that month, but you are just going to have to pay the $5. If you go back to your old games and decide to catch new pokemon after the free trial, then you do so with the knowledge that you will have to pay to transfer them and therefore have no right to complain.

I'm wishing more and more that GameFreak would have just made us all start fresh with Gen VI

No, everyone is not getting a free 30 day trial. For that to be the case, it would have to be at the time of purchase at any point, the buyer will have 30 days. In reality, there is a month window where a free trial is available and that's it. It's only people who have the game during that month window.

Actually, Im pretty sure I can complain all I want. Of course it won't do anything, but I am perfectly within my right to complain as it'll still be ****ing ridiculous that they're gating it even after that point.

I will agree, they should have just started fresh. Maybe they could have made even more changes to the game if they ditched the previous generation baggage.

Harping on semantics gets no one anywhere. Especially when it is clear that you didn't read everything in my post considering I commented on the fact that, inevitably, not everyone will be able to take advantage of the grace period.

GameFreak is giving its longtime fans the chance to carry all of their old pokemon over for free. It is what was asked for, and they came through. They could have started charging immediately, but they aren't, and now all pre-January 31st purchasers (are you happy now?) get to bring over their favorites free of cost. I'm sorry, but if you decide to go back and play Platinum again after that point, then you have made a conscious decision to either pay to move your new team over (and any other pokemon you might catch in that year) or leave them on the cartridge. Congratulations, you have now taken one step closer to adulthood by understanding that all actions have consequences.

Frankly, I think all of this vitriol is stupid. I, and many other players, have been through a generational switch when we had no choice but to leave our old pokemon behind. And you know what? We got over it.
---
Alakazam Arcanine Flygon Golduck Primeape Tyranitar
#64kaiser ryuPosted 9/5/2013 6:52:32 PM
bd43 posted...
Well transfering exists in gen 6, so it's occured 4 of 5 possible times.

Saying it has occurred when one generation is not out yet is an untrue statement. Not that this tangent matters in the slightest.

I wasn't aware that your friend got a free DS because you had a DS and two pokemon games. Still costed money, and worse if you have unreliable friends.

My friend buying a DS has no financial impact on me. Transferring in gen 4-5 cost me nothing.

If you were buying Nintendo, it wasn't 10 dollars.

If you're paying for name brand digital cables which provide nothing in the way of fidelity or performance, you're a sucker. And your supporting this current decision by Game Freak suddenly makes more sense. You could get off brand multi-pronged game link cables for under $10 dollars, and they still work today.

So the precedent is you always paid, you're just ignorant about it because you never stomached the cost. Now you pay less, yearly, and to do more. Cry less.

There is no crying going on. Just being an educated consumer. I don't sugar coat for product makers. I employ them for the services I find useful and valuable. Beyond your absolute reaching there has been no precedent for paying to transfer since the second generation.

The fact is that supposed precedent doesn't suddenly make the feature necessary or prudent. If they didn't have any means to transfer, there is a precedent for that. Instead, they offer an element to you that is costing them sales. So of course they make that money back. Nevermind it will likely be littered with free months. And frankly, market sets the precedents, not the game or genre.

Calling it a precedent doesn't indicate it's necessary. Precedence just grants entitlement. You continue to try and avoid this basic fact by throwing in nonsense about it's genre and conjecture regarding what sales Game Freak is losing and overall wind up changing nothing. The consumer perspective on this issue is what matters. Not how many kittens Game Freak may rescue if they dime and nickel their consumers.

Transferring has been offered as a free service for over half a decade now and this upcoming generation is breaking the consumer trust that was built through that. Precedent is just a model attained by past action, you seem to like to mix what precedent belongs to what issue. You're right that the market has set precedent for strong arming consumers instead of incentivizing. This is not, however, justification for breaking their own past actions by jumping to more consumer hostile trends.

If they raise the price or implement a game limit or it crashes, maybe then your argument will be valid.

You have done nothing that would invalidate a single claim I've made. Cute though that you have such a superiority complex.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06
#65JKPhagePosted 9/5/2013 7:08:14 PM
ITT: An OP who doesn't realize that DLC means something that you download that expands the content of your game.

Pokebank is an EXTERNAL SERVICE. It is NOT a DLC. It's something outside of the game that will allow you to store pokemon in the cloud, should you so wish, and it has a tacked on way to convert pokemon from the previous generation into the proper format so they can be transferred into X/Y. Gamefreak didn't have to do the transfer service, but they did because fans wanted it. The fact that it had to be tied to an external optional service is just an unfortunate circumstance due to the way the new pokemon network functions.

If you don't like the fact that you have to pay for pokemon bank, then don't use it, but future games are going to use it too, and will probably require the same setup to transfer from X/Y. If you're getting bent out of shape over five dollars for a whole YEAR of service then you really need to take a step back, look at how ridiculous it is that you're flipping out over it and move on. You also need to stop calling it a DLC, because it is not, in any way, shape or form.
#66Arcanine2009Posted 9/7/2013 10:50:04 PM
The transfer app is free by itself. Its just that you need the bank app to download it.

You at least get a one month free trail.
---
Nintendo Network ID: sselemanrm
Less is more. Everything you want, isn't everything you need.
#67WrenchNinjaPosted 9/7/2013 11:55:59 PM
Rogue Mutt posted...
WrenchNinja posted...

Rogue Mutt posted...
Everyone is getting a free 30-day trial for Pokebank when it is released in December. The free trial fixes the issue of having to pay to access your old favorites.

If you do not take care of the transfer within that time period, then that is on you. I feel for the people that for some unavoidable reason will not have access to the internet that month, but you are just going to have to pay the $5. If you go back to your old games and decide to catch new pokemon after the free trial, then you do so with the knowledge that you will have to pay to transfer them and therefore have no right to complain.

I'm wishing more and more that GameFreak would have just made us all start fresh with Gen VI

No, everyone is not getting a free 30 day trial. For that to be the case, it would have to be at the time of purchase at any point, the buyer will have 30 days. In reality, there is a month window where a free trial is available and that's it. It's only people who have the game during that month window.

Actually, Im pretty sure I can complain all I want. Of course it won't do anything, but I am perfectly within my right to complain as it'll still be ****ing ridiculous that they're gating it even after that point.

I will agree, they should have just started fresh. Maybe they could have made even more changes to the game if they ditched the previous generation baggage.

Harping on semantics gets no one anywhere. Especially when it is clear that you didn't read everything in my post considering I commented on the fact that, inevitably, not everyone will be able to take advantage of the grace period.

GameFreak is giving its longtime fans the chance to carry all of their old pokemon over for free. It is what was asked for, and they came through. They could have started charging immediately, but they aren't, and now all pre-January 31st purchasers (are you happy now?) get to bring over their favorites free of cost. I'm sorry, but if you decide to go back and play Platinum again after that point, then you have made a conscious decision to either pay to move your new team over (and any other pokemon you might catch in that year) or leave them on the cartridge. Congratulations, you have now taken one step closer to adulthood by understanding that all actions have consequences.

Frankly, I think all of this vitriol is stupid. I, and many other players, have been through a generational switch when we had no choice but to leave our old pokemon behind. And you know what? We got over it.

It's an important point that you wish to wipe away to the side to do your congratulations to Game Freak for even giving us a chance at transfer. I did read your post. How is it on the buyer if they don't get a chance at the free trial? How is it some kid's fault who doesn't even know about the trial and assumes it'll be working just like it has the past three generations?

Oh how generous of them to give us a one month window. Because it takes so much bandwidth to hold kilobytes worth of data from individual users. We should all applaud them for not becoming totally insulting in their treatment of their fans and instead only partially. Calling me a child for criticizing them over this isn't very adult.

Yes, we've all gone through a generation when there was a huge technical overhaul on how everything worked in the series. This isn't that and the comparison isn't very good after three generations of actual free transfers instead of your misdirecting one month trial free transfer. I wasn't aware we should be taking two steps forward one step backwards.
---
http://i.minus.com/ibb54oFODduJvk.gif http://i.minus.com/ibiCujxJzTJr5Z.gif
http://i.imgur.com/CkHC5.gif
#68fahademonPosted 9/8/2013 12:04:44 AM
I wonder how much people would cry if they cancelled pokemon Bank,and there was no way to transfer.
---
http://tinyurl.com/OperationDecode | Please sign this for Digimon Re:Digitize Decode to get localized!(see quote)
Official (Shadow)Lugia of all Pokemon Boards.
#69JJH777Posted 9/8/2013 12:09:56 AM
I don't understand why people complain about this and I am a huge DLC hater. DLC has pretty much been one of the main factors for the gaming industry going straight down the toilet but this is so different. If you wanted to transfer pokemon before you had to have 2 systems. For GB/GBA you had to have a link cable as well. It was tedious as hell and took ages. This is a gigantic improvement over that and it's only $5 a year and you get massive storage for all your pokemon in one single location in addition to the dramatically easier transferring. Transferring your pokemon prior to this was a major pain and I don't believe anyone besides the extremely hardcore pokemon players actually did so.
---
If you believe that Abed is the true Messiah and you are 100% proud of it make this your signature.