This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The thing about homosexual characters in Pokemon is....

#71GTomahawkPosted 9/7/2013 1:30:07 PM
DrakoVongola1 posted...
GTomahawk posted...
For all people talk about controversy what would actually happen is that a few really angry people would kick up a fuss and then nothing would happen from it.

That's how it tends to go nowadays.

But then those few angry idiots would get tons of attention and you'd hear about it for a while.

And then nothing else happens. Any negative effects would be so utterly inconsequential that there's no reason it should be an issue.
#72MagikarpRulesPosted 9/7/2013 1:30:48 PM
Kuraikawa posted...
Doctor_Spanky posted...
IDGAF if Pokemon ever includes gay doods or ladeez, because:

Good characters > characters with a 'social issue' shoehorned in

Not that gay characters aren't good characters. But "being gay" is not enough to be interesting

Pokemon has good characters? I must have missed that game. It seems like the most you find out about anyone is that they are a Pokemon trainer who likes a certain type of Pokemon. Sometimes you might get a rival with one personality trait. Like being a jerk, having an inferiority complex, or having a sister complex. You never really talk to the characters and find out anything about them. It seems that if you don't count the anime, and I don't, they get nothing.

As for sexual orientation in game... I'm ambivalent. On one hand, just putting a homosexual couple in the game would help reinforce that there isn't anything strange about it (as long as it isn't handled as a stereotype). On the other hand, the relationships show in game are minimal. The only married couple in the series that I can think of are your mom and dad from Ruby. I don't think they ever actually speak to each other in the game.

There's Lenora and her husband, which barely interact too.
#73TheGrayFoxLivesPosted 9/7/2013 1:34:10 PM
Treat it the same as if they were a straight NPC? This is what Mass Effect did right; gay relationships were treated as the exact same as straight relationships. It's really not that difficult.
#74Miggi3Fr3shPosted 9/7/2013 1:35:21 PM
FalxXD posted...
Why does this need to be addressed?!

It's a kids game, sexuality doesn't come into it.

Half of the end game revolves around incestual pets breeding like rabbits to make super pets... How does sex come into it? Not to mention that promiscuous Jynx... Just saying ...

Why people don't have an issue with "Young couple", "Old couple" , mom and dad, etc being heterosexual in the game and are repulsed by the idea of there being some sort of homosexual aspect, regardless of how minuscule, is beyond me. I'm not saying they have two dude getting it on the game, but something as small as what one of e other posters said where the character acknowledged his/her husband/wife.
---
3DS: 3351-4111-5844 PSN: Miggi3Fr3sh86
Here at GameFAQs gamers don't game, they complain.
#75MagikarpRulesPosted 9/7/2013 1:36:37 PM
Again, people, tell me: How do you know if any of the NPC's that are not explicitly made heterosexual aren't either gay or bisexual?
#76GTomahawkPosted 9/7/2013 1:45:55 PM(edited)
You don't obviously, but it's not really relevant to the topic at hand. A character possibly being gay/bi that we never hear about makes no difference to anything and there's no reason to bring it up.
#77DrakoVongola1Posted 9/7/2013 1:47:46 PM
TheGrayFoxLives posted...
Treat it the same as if they were a straight NPC? This is what Mass Effect did right; gay relationships were treated as the exact same as straight relationships. It's really not that difficult.

Except for Cortez, who seemed to only really be there as a gay option for anyone who killed Kaidan, a decision I regretted, Ashley turned into a b**** after ME1
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#78DrakoVongola1Posted 9/7/2013 1:48:47 PM
MagikarpRules posted...
Again, people, tell me: How do you know if any of the NPC's that are not explicitly made heterosexual aren't either gay or bisexual?

This is true. For all we know straight people are the minority in the Pokemon world! That's why all these straight people have to throw it in our faces constantly!
---
Official leader of the Illuminati.
#79MagikarpRulesPosted 9/7/2013 1:50:45 PM
GTomahawk posted...
You don't obviously, but it's not really relevant to the topic at hand. A character possibly being gay/bi that we never hear about makes no difference to anything and there's no reason to bring it up.

So, they have to tell everyone they are gay or lesbian, just so we are sure about it? What for? Just so you can tell everyone proudly that Pokemon is a very tolerant game?
#80GTomahawkPosted 9/7/2013 1:58:24 PM(edited)
Nah but the notion that someone, somewhere might be gay and you never hear about it has absolutely nothing to do with discussion about including gay characters in video games. You may as well be talking about a tree falling in the woods etc.