This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is everyone so confident the Kanto starters will given early?

#1masladaPosted 9/5/2013 5:27:22 PM(edited)
Because I haven't seen anything so far that suggests they will other than the main professor gives you them. For all we know that might not happen till your average party level is over 20 when you probably won't bother to train something up from level 5.

Furthermore I'm mixed on whether I like the idea of a second starter if it is indeed available soon after you pick your first Pokémon. For every Pokémon game I've played I've not raised a full team of 6 for my first run, I find it's much better to raise a team of 3-4 for running through the games story. If I also include Torchic most of my team is very predictably going to be starters that I may have got before the first Gym. I know I don't have to use them but I'm a power gamer, I can't help it, I'm going to use the best available to me.

If I'm playing efficiently (IE without taking extra time to level up against wild Pokémon/repeatable trainers) the best team is always going to be the 3 starters unless there's another Drilbur or Starly level Pokémon available early.
#2VoidBeyondPosted 9/5/2013 5:42:49 PM
Doesn't the professor give you the choice in Lumiose City? I'm not sure, but isn't that your starting town?
---
GT: CynicalRaptor26//PSN: DuodecimKnight//PKMN Black2 FC: 2280 6133 3461
#3maslada(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 5:42:53 PM
Fast moving board.
#4maslada(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 5:44:45 PM
VoidBeyond posted...
Doesn't the professor give you the choice in Lumiose City? I'm not sure, but isn't that your starting town?

That's what I'm asking, I have no idea and looking at the official page where the Kanto starters are mentioned there is no real hint where/when you get them. But people do seem to be talking about them as if it's effectively a second starter Pokémon.
#5asdfth12Posted 9/5/2013 5:46:04 PM
Given that they also have mega formes, I'm suspecting that you'd be able to choose between them after you unlock mega formes.
#6mralpha543Posted 9/5/2013 5:46:39 PM
I was wondering this as well, but everybody was pretty confident about it being a second starter, so I thought it was confirmed or something... eh
---
Rocket Professor ~ R ~ Support Elesa! Real Arceus. Third Version M 2/26/13
Official ANBU of the Pokemon boards.
#7Tigo73Posted 9/5/2013 5:47:35 PM
The reasons I think this:

-Supposedly it´s in Lumiose, which is supposed to be within the first hour or two.
-The fact that your friends were still following you (and that they were shown tagging along with you after you get out of your house) implies it´s early.
-The wording used when thye were talking about the starters implies that they are basically second starters
-The fact that they are making a big deal out of "You can get other starters!" would be really weird if it was an optional postgame thing.
---
The man who will steal your candles.
Official Omoikane of the SMT IV board.
#8NewbieN00bPosted 9/5/2013 5:47:54 PM
maslada posted...
VoidBeyond posted...

That's what I'm asking, I have no idea and looking at the official page where the Kanto starters are mentioned there is no real hint where/when you get them. But people do seem to be talking about them as if it's effectively a second starter Pokémon.

Well, he(Sycamore) does say "it'd be fantastic if you took another pokemon with you!" Which kinda implies it's close to when you get your Kalos starter. I doubt they'd bring it up if it were post e4. (Especally with them going on in the video about taking both of them on your journey)
---
Give me all teh FE D':
White FC: 4428-2451-8791
#9SocranPosted 9/5/2013 5:49:03 PM
We know that you get them from the Professor in Lumiose City. That's not your starting town, but it is one of the first major towns you reach. I believe it's where the second gym is. Lemme bring up a map...

http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/kalos_region_map_thumb.jpg

Your starting town is the one on the bottom. Lumiose is that circular one in the middle. As you can see, there's only one town between them.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#10Tigo73Posted 9/5/2013 5:49:23 PM
Tigo73 posted...
The reasons I think this:

-Supposedly it´s in Lumiose, which is supposed to be within the first hour or two.
-The fact that your friends were still following you (and that they were shown tagging along with you after you get out of your house) implies it´s early.
-The wording used when thye were talking about the starters implies that they are basically second starters
-The fact that they are making a big deal out of "You can get other starters!" would be really weird if it was an optional postgame thing.

Also, they put so much emphasis on "You can take them on your journey!"
---
The man who will steal your candles.
Official Omoikane of the SMT IV board.