This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Three things that should be removed from Pokemon and never spoken of again

#31LexifoxPosted 9/5/2013 5:46:56 PM
maslada posted...
Cheren and Bianca are the worst, and for the reasons you've just said. They show up too often. In older games you didn't get constantly bogged down by plot. Make no mistake, whenever any kid picks up a Pokémon game they want to win the Pokémon league and be a power house. They don't want to constantly be sidelined to rescue every cat stuck up a tree. This isn't a bioware game where inter-character relationships and side quests are what the game is about, the game is about collecting, training and battling.

I'm not saying such things don't have their place, but not as much as happens in Black/White. Blue and Silver were about as memorable as they could be for the amount of times you meet them, and meeting them anymore than that would have been too much.

So are you complaining that the older rivals are more memorable because they have less development and appear less often, that newer rivals are less memorable because they appear more often and have more characterization moments, or that you just dislike NPCs who are actually nice and act like a friend towards you?

Anyway, this might be a surprise to you? The carts they use for the newer games have more storage space. The GB games were pretty small and this is why the plot is minimal. You're going to see more sidequest and plot because they can fit it into the games, and because it makes the games go beyond "Go to Town A, get starter, go to Town B, go to City A, fight Gym Leader, go to City B...". If you're bothered by the NPCs who help keep you moving forward and on track? Japan loves linearity, and Nintendo's moving towards a more "helpful" game model for a while (see: every game that will play itself as a tutorial).
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#32LexifoxPosted 9/5/2013 5:47:25 PM
javel34 posted...
Lexifox posted...
The fans.

But you're a fan...isn't that like quantum suicide?

It will be worth it to avoid having to deal with the fans.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#33thealmightydibPosted 9/5/2013 5:48:15 PM
IVs
Limited time event-only pokemon
having 400+unobtainable pokemon. How about instead of having the same 5 pokemon families on 70% of the routes they have different ones for each route, there's more than enough! (or HMs... idk)
---
NNID - Capt.Awes0me
3DS FC - 2363 5791 6085
#34ShadowMaster684Posted 9/5/2013 5:50:51 PM
I'd be happy if they did away with IVs and Pokemon that you can only get through location-specific events. It'd be cool if they implemented a unique WiFi event system that made you actually have to do something other than be given a handout, kind of like a DLC (free, of course), but I'm not going to be able to be in Japan to get event Pokemon there, which makes the whole thing kind of annoying.
---
3DS FC: 0361-6447-6950
ACNL: Zack from Moga Village
#35maslada(Topic Creator)Posted 9/5/2013 6:01:45 PM
Lexifox posted...
maslada posted...
Cheren and Bianca are the worst, and for the reasons you've just said. They show up too often. In older games you didn't get constantly bogged down by plot. Make no mistake, whenever any kid picks up a Pokémon game they want to win the Pokémon league and be a power house. They don't want to constantly be sidelined to rescue every cat stuck up a tree. This isn't a bioware game where inter-character relationships and side quests are what the game is about, the game is about collecting, training and battling.

I'm not saying such things don't have their place, but not as much as happens in Black/White. Blue and Silver were about as memorable as they could be for the amount of times you meet them, and meeting them anymore than that would have been too much.

So are you complaining that the older rivals are more memorable because they have less development and appear less often, that newer rivals are less memorable because they appear more often and have more characterization moments, or that you just dislike NPCs who are actually nice and act like a friend towards you?

Anyway, this might be a surprise to you? The carts they use for the newer games have more storage space. The GB games were pretty small and this is why the plot is minimal. You're going to see more sidequest and plot because they can fit it into the games, and because it makes the games go beyond "Go to Town A, get starter, go to Town B, go to City A, fight Gym Leader, go to City B...". If you're bothered by the NPCs who help keep you moving forward and on track? Japan loves linearity, and Nintendo's moving towards a more "helpful" game model for a while (see: every game that will play itself as a tutorial).

No I'm arguing that despite less appearances they are more memorable because you actually had a reason to have an opinion of them. They were brazen and rude and turned up at the strangest moments when they would be the toughest challenge. I mean really, wtf is Blue doing in sliph co.? You're there on the cusp of foiling a major criminal gangs plans and blue considers this the perfect moment to finally beat you. Sun Tsu would be proud of his ability to pick his battles, that's for sure.

Cheren and Bianaca are utterly forgettable, and that is because they are just super nice and have nothing else going for them. Cheren reminds me a lot of Dave from the office, nice enough lad but kinda boring. The fact that they're n the game more was a separate point really, the games bog you down too much with story. I don't care about team Plasma, I don't care that Biancas Pokémon has been stolen, all I care about is catching, training and battling.

The battling that comes with the extra story is ok, I guess, but that space on the cartridge would be better spent with more in game challenegs, how about more optional gyms with rarish Pokémon as prizes like how you got Hitmonchan/Lee in red and blue? Especially since a lot of it is filler, how many team Plasma encounters ended with something resembling a boss fight? All the encounters without a boss fight may as well have not been in the game.

The main story of every Pokémon game should be kid starts Pokémon adventure, eventually becomes champion. Everything else should feel secondary, the rival, the crime syndicate and anything else not directly aimed at the goal of getting 8 badges and beating the E4.
#36Slayerblade11Posted 9/5/2013 6:03:35 PM
HMS
Trade-to-evolves
Event Pokemon
#37supdawg222Posted 9/5/2013 6:07:27 PM
Trade to evolve always annoyed the **** out of me
#38GolurkcanflyPosted 9/5/2013 6:07:41 PM
maslada posted...
Lexifox posted...
maslada posted...

No I'm arguing that despite less appearances they are more memorable because you actually had a reason to have an opinion of them. They were brazen and rude and turned up at the strangest moments when they would be the toughest challenge. I mean really, wtf is Blue doing in sliph co.? You're there on the cusp of foiling a major criminal gangs plans and blue considers this the perfect moment to finally beat you. Sun Tsu would be proud of his ability to pick his battles, that's for sure.

Cheren and Bianaca are utterly forgettable, and that is because they are just super nice and have nothing else going for them. Cheren reminds me a lot of Dave from the office, nice enough lad but kinda boring. The fact that they're n the game more was a separate point really, the games bog you down too much with story. I don't care about team Plasma, I don't care that Biancas Pokémon has been stolen, all I care about is catching, training and battling.

The battling that comes with the extra story is ok, I guess, but that space on the cartridge would be better spent with more in game challenegs, how about more optional gyms with rarish Pokémon as prizes like how you got Hitmonchan/Lee in red and blue? Especially since a lot of it is filler, how many team Plasma encounters ended with something resembling a boss fight? All the encounters without a boss fight may as well have not been in the game.

The main story of every Pokémon game should be kid starts Pokémon adventure, eventually becomes champion. Everything else should feel secondary, the rival, the crime syndicate and anything else not directly aimed at the goal of getting 8 badges and beating the E4.

Blue's only memorable because he's an a**hole. Cheren and Bianca are much better. They have character development, they are likable, and act like real people, not just some random jerk.
---
Official Mega Aggron of the Pokemon X Board
"Face the power of Steel!" - Neal, Future Gym Leader of Chroma City.
#39GreenWhalePosted 9/5/2013 6:28:50 PM
Bicycle music
Infertile Nidorinas and Nidoqueens
That's about it
#40MephsuitPosted 9/5/2013 7:53:49 PM
Blue is a better rival because he IS a jerk. He's not trying to follow you everywhere to give you lemonade or start a tickle fight with you or whatever Wally's lame ass deal was. You actually WANT to beat Blue. That annoying jerk from Diamond was a decent rival too.
---
"Mephsuit, as he so often is, is right." - Token sane 261 member Saber_Tiger a.k.a. SST