This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon games shouldn't have starter Pokemon

#1masladaPosted 9/6/2013 8:15:29 AM(edited)
Or rather not with the formula they have now. This game is going to be unique in that the game doesn't give you a single one of a kind Pokémon, not 2, but 3. In a game about catching and raising your own Pokémon you are outright going to be given 3 one of a kind (in game anyway) Pokémon that are better than 80% of the Pokémon available to catch during the story. I predict half of all cartridges first beating of the E4 will be with a team consisting of Blaziken, Venusaur and whatever Froakie eventually evolves into. So much for crafting your own team.

Sure you don't have to use them, but you're asking a lot of people to not use the best available to them. It's like the preorder bonus armour and weapons that came with dragon age origins which was better than the stuff you got in game till fairly late. It utterly ruined any sense of progression yet nearly everyone used it acknowledging that. Or its like driving around in saints row 4, sure you could limit yourself to driving, but you'd be an idiot. Better just to play saints row 3 if you want driving, because the game limits you and it becomes a decent option.

But this is ultimately what starter Pokémon have always done. When you were kids playing against your friends with red/blue your friends team was utterly unpredictable, with one exception. You knew you'd see either a Venusaur, Charizard or Blastoise. Everything else was an eagerly awaited surprise.

Not to mention it makes no sense in the Pokémon world, hardly anyone gets these starter Pokémon it seems. You running around with one of these ultra rare starters makes you the guy with the Ł200 tennis racket, the guy whose parents bought him a mercedes, an advantage. Now I'm a capitalist, I don't mind these things but wouldn't it be more of an adventure, more of a story if on your 10th birthday your Dad comes home drunk and gives you a crappy Rattata he just caught for your birthday, beats you up, and kicks you out of the house and tells you to use it to make your own way in the world?

Starter Pokémon should be just that, a Pokémon you use till you get something better. Yellow did this with Pikachu, how many of used him till the end? Limits make a game better.
#2fiyeroatheartPosted 9/6/2013 8:17:38 AM
Pokemon Main Characters don't have Dad's that can come home drunk...
---
Final_Axiom: "A delivery man who is bitten by a dog has the right to throw the package of said dog's owner into a pond."
#3Sticky_DerpPosted 9/6/2013 8:18:28 AM
omg ppl can play the game the way they want too

kill it with fire

did you forget to take something today tc
im talkin bout your pills
---
Fox news get's a pass because they have to go against reality's liberal bias. - SilentS89
#4CakeOfLiesPosted 9/6/2013 8:20:25 AM
maslada posted...
Starter Pokémon should be just that, a Pokémon you use till you get something better. Yellow did this with Pikachu, how many of used him till the end? Limits make a game better.

Someone didn't play Gen 5.
Those starters sucked.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3139-7420-3142 - THIEF
#5Snorlax_exlaxPosted 9/6/2013 8:21:12 AM
I see your point, but I really don't think starters should be weak.

Just do a nuzlock run if you want a challenge.
---
It's "Blue-Eyes White Maiden",
not "Maiden with Eyes of Blue"
#6Alexoneill77777Posted 9/6/2013 8:21:12 AM
maslada posted...
Or rather not with the formula they have now. This game is going to be unique in that the game doesn't give you a single one of a kind Pokémon, not 2, but 3. In a game about catching and raising your own Pokémon you are outright going to be given 3 one of a kind (in game anyway) Pokémon that are better than 80% of the Pokémon available to catch during the story. I predict half of all cartridges first beating of the E4 will be with a team consisting of Blaziken, Venusaur and whatever Froakie eventually evolves into. So much for crafting your own team.

Sure you don't have to use them, but you're asking a lot of people to not use the best available to them. It's like the preorder bonus armour and weapons that came with dragon age origins which was better than the stuff you got in game till fairly late. It utterly ruined any sense of progression yet nearly everyone used it acknowledging that. Or its like driving around in saints row 4, sure you could limit yourself to driving, but you'd be an idiot. Better just to play saints row 3 if you want driving, because the game limits you and it becomes a decent option.

But this is ultimately what starter Pokémon have always done. When you were kids playing against your friends with red/blue your friends team was utterly unpredictable, with one exception. You knew you'd see either a Venusaur, Charizard or Blastoise. Everything else was an eagerly awaited surprise.

Not to mention it makes no sense in the Pokémon world, hardly anyone gets these starter Pokémon it seems. You running around with one of these ultra rare starters makes you the guy with the Ł200 tennis racket, the guy whose parents bought him a mercedes, an advantage. Now I'm a capitalist, I don't mind these things but wouldn't it be more of an adventure, more of a story if on your 10th birthday your Dad comes home drunk and gives you a crappy Rattata he just caught for your birthday, beats you up, and kicks you out of the house and tells you to use it to make your own way in the world?

The starters are not good compared to most of the pokemon you can catch. The only exception are the rodants and bug pokemon. Most of the starters are in NU or RU lol
---
FC- 3754 7190 4070
I hate gold watering cans so much you don't even know
#7maslada(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 8:22:21 AM
CakeOfLies posted...
maslada posted...

Someone didn't play Gen 5.
Those starters sucked.

The water one was still better than every other water type you would come across during the main game. The grass type was awful but grass types have always been bad in game. The fire type wasn't bad per se, just outclassed by Sawk or Darmanitan.
#8FrankulaPosted 9/6/2013 8:23:49 AM(edited)
First off your over reacting to your own prediction of what MIGHT happen. That is a pretty silly thing to rant about.

I don't think people are as like-minded as you seem to be suggesting. The great thing about humans is that we all think differently. I personally won't be using torchic for my playthrough, and I probably wont use one of the x/y starters either. In fact, I don't even want to evolve the Wartortle I get meaning I won't even be using the mega-evolution haha.

People play games in unique ways. I don't think you have to worry so much about this.
---
Now i know why they call it salt, it's so di YUM
#9mehmetskiPosted 9/6/2013 8:23:06 AM
i can totally understand TC and i often put the startes in the box after the first gym, because i WANT the challenge and the diversity to choose other pokemon that are less popular. but well, we still have the option to choose this and...some people do, some dont. in the end, no one forces me to use the starter, and im not neccessarily an idiot just for not using it.
---
Xerneas, the gay-pride Pokemon
3DS FC: 4511-0558-9256
#10maslada(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 8:24:05 AM
Alexoneill77777 posted...
maslada posted...

The starters are not good compared to most of the pokemon you can catch. The only exception are the rodants and bug pokemon. Most of the starters are in NU or RU lol

Competitively yes, most starters suck. But not in game and certainly not often compared to Pokémon of the same type that you can catch in game for the most part. Pokémon like Staraptor, Darmanitan and Drilbur are the exception, not the rule.