This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Solution to IV's mechanic (Semi-long)

#1luigispezzottiPosted 9/6/2013 3:05:17 PM
As title says, this is my proposed solution to IV's:

At the moment, bred Pokemon only inherit 3 IV's from their parents (in combinations of 3 from Parent A, 0 from Parent B; 2 from Parent a, 1 from Parent B; 1 from Parent A, 2 from Parent B; 0 from Parent A, 3 from Parent B). One of these 3 IV's that are inherited can be controlled by power items.

--- Solution 1: Bred Pokemon now inherit 6 IV's from their parents, in different combinations from each parent (6 from A, 0 from B; 5 from A, 1 from B; etc...) This means that breeders who have perfect IV'd Dittos now have a 1 in 8 chance of having an offspring with perfect IV's (all inherited from the Ditto). This solution would cater to players who enjoy breeding.

--- Solution 2. A new facility (to tie in with the Genetics theme of X and Y) which allows you to increase (or decrease) the IV's of a Pokemon for a certain amount of a certain currency (most likely BP, which would be gained through the new Battle Tower-like facility). This caters to those who do not have perfect IV'd Pokemon, but can now acquire such perfectly IV'd Pokemon through this new facility, and then breed them.

Obviously this solution requires tuning, I just quickly put it together, and thus I would like to hear your thoughts and possible changes you'd make.
#2luigispezzotti(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 3:10:56 PM
Bumpity bump bump
#3SpoonMan54321Posted 9/6/2013 3:17:03 PM
a few points-

this is not semi-long. how short an attention span do you have?

"solution 1" does not allow for any improvement through breeding beyond the parent. if no parent has a high IV, then no child will ever have a high IV. it's actually way worse than the current system. who has a perfect ditto other than people who hack or got one from a hacker?

"solution 2" is just turning IVs into a much more annoying form of EV training.

the simplest solution is that the IVs of any child will always range from the average of the parents' IVs in each stat up to 31, or even from the lowest IV of either parent up to 31. all the IVs follow this randomness, none of them directly pass down.

chain breeding would still take a long time to produce perfect 31 pokemon, BUT it would absolutely eventually result in a perfect pokemon if you keep at it.
---
...and bababooey to y'all
#4PentaoPosted 9/6/2013 3:22:05 PM
I would just prefer if a Pokemon that has lower IVs has a higher EV limit that increases for every point of IVs you're lacking in.

For example, a Pokemon with 31 Speed IVs versus one with 30 Speed IVs would have a cap of 252 and 256 respectively for speed, with a total cap of 510 vs 514 respectively. The numbers would be different to actually handle the fact that the actual cap is 255 (which is pointless because it's one off the necessary amount to get 1 more stat point), thus leading to:

>You may start off disadvantaged, but if you work harder at something, you can be on the same level.

Not only does it solve the issues of IVs without having to touch them much, but for someone that's young, this can be a good lesson for them that hard work can pay out. (The real world is not always like this, but I don't really think that's as good of a lesson to teach kids who play these games)

There are plenty of ideas for IV overhauls, and your plans aren't particularly bad, but I would prefer a system that advocates against chain breeding. I think Pokemon breeding should be best limited to getting egg moves and baby Pokemon, but what IVs currently enforce is the idea of inbreeding and having lots of Pokemon you'll just simply never train, as if you were just farming and raising race horses.
---
"Religion keeps pressing B when we try to evolve." - pirategeorge"
[3DS FC: 1934-0673-9848 (Pentao)]
#5SpoonMan54321Posted 9/6/2013 3:24:21 PM
chain breeding is best because the secret to success in pokemon is more poking!
---
...and bababooey to y'all
#6Lucidious89Posted 9/6/2013 4:31:47 PM
My solution is to simply set up a list of priorities that the game follows when passing down IVs.

1) If a Power Item is being held, that IV is passed down.
2) If either parent has Ivs of 31, up to three of those IVs are passed down (randomly selected)
3) The next highest IV from either parent is passed down.
4) The lowest IV from either parent is passed down.
5) Any remaining stats without an IV passed down is randomized.

Example:

Ferrothorn (F) @Power Weight
HP: 31
ATK: 7
DEF: 12
SpA: 22
SpD: 31
SPE: 0

Bred with...

Ferrothorn (M)
HP: 16
ATK: 31
DEF: 31
SpA: 19
SpD: 8
SPE: 15

Results:

Ferrothorn
HP: 31 (Priority 1)
ATK: 31 (Priority 2)
DEF: 31 (Priority 2)
SpA: 22 (Priority 3)
SpD: 31 (Priority 2)
SPE: 0 (Priority 4)
#7luigispezzotti(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 4:56:23 PM
Pentao posted...
I would just prefer if a Pokemon that has lower IVs has a higher EV limit that increases for every point of IVs you're lacking in.

For example, a Pokemon with 31 Speed IVs versus one with 30 Speed IVs would have a cap of 252 and 256 respectively for speed, with a total cap of 510 vs 514 respectively. The numbers would be different to actually handle the fact that the actual cap is 255 (which is pointless because it's one off the necessary amount to get 1 more stat point)

I think your solution is actually brilliant, far better than the one I came up with off the top of my head. Also it wouldn't be difficult to implement as EV's already exist and just raising their cap in accordance to how many IV's you lack from 31 is rather simple.

It's such a good idea I'm beginning to think maybe with the whole super training thing Gamefreak actually already thought of this and implemented it.
#8PentaoPosted 9/6/2013 5:47:03 PM
Thank you lol, I really like the idea, and it'd be awesome if GameFreak used what I thought of (or even already thought of, whoever came up with it, I'd love if the thing I wrote was used).
---
"Religion keeps pressing B when we try to evolve." - pirategeorge"
[3DS FC: 1934-0673-9848 (Pentao)]