This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Wow..who doesn't milk customers anymore?

#131RoleOfGSHCPosted 9/6/2013 10:46:07 PM
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
Pay money to transfer Pokemon? Really? Yeah I know it's 5 bucks a year or whatever but you all need to stand for something before you fall for anything.

Look at Call of Duty. "It's only 10 bucks each for 2 map packs! That's a meal at a restaurant!" Now they're 15 bucks each for four map packs while we get piece of crap maps with the disc.

The price will go up and the quality will go down eventually, mark my words. Then you'll come here telling us how 30 bucks is nothing because you spend more going on a date or some bs like that. Don't be so weak-minded.

When you grow up and get a job and place of your own, you'll find out about these things called "bills". They're really expensive. Electricity and Internet very much so, as well as all those bills from when stuff breaks down and you have to call a plumber or electrician.

This is no different. In order to do this, they've got one hell of a set of bills on their hands. And those bills cost a lot of money, and build up a lot over time. For what they're doing, five bucks is cheap. This is the exact opposite of milking customers. This is called biting the bullet and asking for bare minimum costs.
---
Empress of the Jovian Empire
Mechanical Advisor for Golden Sun: Adept's Refuge
#132TJ_UNLIMITED(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 5:28:11 AM
RoleOfGSHC posted...
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
Pay money to transfer Pokemon? Really? Yeah I know it's 5 bucks a year or whatever but you all need to stand for something before you fall for anything.

Look at Call of Duty. "It's only 10 bucks each for 2 map packs! That's a meal at a restaurant!" Now they're 15 bucks each for four map packs while we get piece of crap maps with the disc.

The price will go up and the quality will go down eventually, mark my words. Then you'll come here telling us how 30 bucks is nothing because you spend more going on a date or some bs like that. Don't be so weak-minded.

When you grow up and get a job and place of your own, you'll find out about these things called "bills". They're really expensive. Electricity and Internet very much so, as well as all those bills from when stuff breaks down and you have to call a plumber or electrician.

This is no different. In order to do this, they've got one hell of a set of bills on their hands. And those bills cost a lot of money, and build up a lot over time. For what they're doing, five bucks is cheap. This is the exact opposite of milking customers. This is called biting the bullet and asking for bare minimum costs.

Try again, I'm pretty sure I'm older than you. Your response alone tells me so because if you at least thought like the adult you claim to be, you would be more wary of where your money goes.

Also, you would know that electricity and Internet bills are among, if not the cheapest bills to have. They're not "really expensive." Now go ask your mother about bills again, then come back and get it right.
---
PSN- TJ_UNLIMITED
Gamertag- TJ UNLIMIT3D
#133TJ_UNLIMITED(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2013 5:30:36 AM
Azurinai posted...
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
SirPierce posted...
LightningAce11 posted...
Hey ness, are you TCs alt?

I was wondering this too. TC disappeared and Ness began arguing with everyone over everything.

Come on now, seriously? You know there's a such thing as getting off the Internet and living your life, right? Me logging off and another guy logging on does not equate to us being the same person.

This alt stuff really needs to die...see it on every board

And you come back when ness disappears...

"He's NessEggman!"

One thing I learned about people growing up...they tend to accuse others of things they would do themselves. This is a video game message board, it's not that serious. If you do things like that, more power to you. I prefer not to waste my time with something so stupid.
---
PSN- TJ_UNLIMITED
Gamertag- TJ UNLIMIT3D
#134ZTIger5Posted 9/7/2013 5:33:59 AM
ZTIger5 posted...
PokeCris posted...
Didn't GF say that the transfer is another application that works with PokeBank, or is it an add-on? Have they actually said that the yearly fee also applies to transfer method or are people just assuming?

PokeTransporter is an extension of PokeBank that you download at the same time. The only fee is the yearly subscription to PokeBank, so we don't need to worry about being charged each time we transfer Pokemon, and the first month of launch will be free for everyone.

Something that concerns me which hasn't been brought up yet is the issue of how difficult it is to convert DS data into 3DS data. We already know that GSC and RSE weren't able to communicate because of hardware issues, but GF found a way around that in this case. So I can't help but wonder if it would even be possible to compress the program for making that conversion into a free app to download and move Pokemon onto the SD card. I didn't question it before, but Ness's explanation of the programming is making me curious. There's also the possible issue of being able to hack into the SD card and alter the Pokemon to your liking if that was the case, but I don't know how all that works so maybe it's baseless paranoia. (Dangit Kirk; I'm an environmentalist, not a programmer!)

I'll still be using it regardless, as I'm a very cautious person and love the idea. I'll gladly pay the subscription to keep my babies alive between generations, build a living Pokedex and act as a proxy for my friends if they opt out.

Can someone answer this? =(
---
Playing) FE: Awakening, Guild Wars 2. Skyrim, Pokemon White 2, Harvest Moon 11
Waiting) Pokemon XY, Batman: Arkham Origins, Titanfall, PvZ Garden Warfare
#135GolurkcanflyPosted 9/7/2013 5:49:15 AM
TJ_UNLIMITED posted...
ChaosMew161 posted...
Bro, it's a server. Which costs big dollars. The only other way to do this would to show ads on the app. Ads+3DS = not in the deepest fiery pits.

I'm wondering, though, if this fee was put in place to offset some of the losses to Nintendo the Wii U's causing right now...

Battlefield 3
- Server
- No fees to use
- DLC
- No ads

---
Will kick puppies for a good sig.
#136Tempestuous_SeaPosted 9/7/2013 6:59:52 AM
ZTIger5 posted...
ZTIger5 posted...
PokeCris posted...
Didn't GF say that the transfer is another application that works with PokeBank, or is it an add-on? Have they actually said that the yearly fee also applies to transfer method or are people just assuming?

PokeTransporter is an extension of PokeBank that you download at the same time. The only fee is the yearly subscription to PokeBank, so we don't need to worry about being charged each time we transfer Pokemon, and the first month of launch will be free for everyone.

Something that concerns me which hasn't been brought up yet is the issue of how difficult it is to convert DS data into 3DS data. We already know that GSC and RSE weren't able to communicate because of hardware issues, but GF found a way around that in this case. So I can't help but wonder if it would even be possible to compress the program for making that conversion into a free app to download and move Pokemon onto the SD card. I didn't question it before, but Ness's explanation of the programming is making me curious. There's also the possible issue of being able to hack into the SD card and alter the Pokemon to your liking if that was the case, but I don't know how all that works so maybe it's baseless paranoia. (Dangit Kirk; I'm an environmentalist, not a programmer!)

I'll still be using it regardless, as I'm a very cautious person and love the idea. I'll gladly pay the subscription to keep my babies alive between generations, build a living Pokedex and act as a proxy for my friends if they opt out.

Can someone answer this? =(

I'm not sure if you've heard, but SE created a free app that lets players send monster data from Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 and Dragon Quest Monsters: Jokers 2 Professional to Terry’s Wonderland 3D. I don't have the programming know-how, but I'd find it very difficult to believe that a similar app couldn't be developed for Pokemon.

The app and SD storage would definitely make it easier to manipulate the data, but with competitive battlers who take part in tournaments making a small part of the playerbase, it's kind of unfair to punish everyone if their goal is to eliminate hacking.

The only reason I would honestly purchase this is to contribute to the trading board crowd. I always liked how nice they were, and I do want to help people transfer, but it conflicts with what I don't yet consider an acceptable business decision. I mean, at the very least, they could have not given the time trial a time limit, and I'm personally screwed because I can't make use of it.
---
if my yesterday is a disgrace
tell me that you still recall my name
#137NinjaKitsunePosted 9/7/2013 7:28:34 AM
Pupu27 posted...
NinjaKitsune posted...
Pupu27 posted...

I'm sure Nintendo is trying to make a profit with PokeBank, they are a business. But I'm also sure their profit margin is not like 90%. It would be around 20%-30% maximum (that the same as the average profit margin of Microsoft or EA, I think the only industry that rip off its customers is the fastfood industry with McDonalds' profit margin nearly reaches 50% >:)).

The numbers just don't add up on that. Consider Dropbox. Their premium service is 99GB for $100/yr. That's one dollar per GB per year. And they have enough profits to offer anyone who wants it 2 GB completely free. With backups of the files going a month back.

Now, for pokemon bank to have a similar profit margin (which, given the above, is probably above 30% by the way), 3000 pokemon would have to take up 5 GB. That's nearly 2 megabytes per pokemon. There's no way you're going to convince anyone that a single pokemon's data takes up 2 megabytes.

$5 isn't much, but the service they're offering is worth a fraction of that.

You didn't consider the fact that PokeBank is a niche product for Pokemon gamers only. It won't attract the same number of users like Dropbox or GoogleDrive - and it isn't supposed to be (Dropbox has 175m users in 2013 and Google has maybe a zillion users :)). Smaller market forces the higher price to cover costs.

That's the reason why your Gigabytes/dollar comparison is not accurate. A Leica M9 and Canon 5D Mark III have the same specs, both are full frame digital camera and arguably can create the same quality photographs. However the Leica price is $7000 compared with $2000 price tag of the 5D Mark III. It's because Canon has a much bigger market than Leica.

Also remember Nintendo's intention is to make PokeBank a service for Pokemon games only, it doesn't their main business so they won't focus a lot of their resources to it. It's totally different with DropBox as their entire business plan is about cloud storage services. Nintendo will most likely award customers by dropping price of their gaming consoles which is their core business.

Or maybe they have a smaller market because they charge 3x as much for comparable tech?
---
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."
#138Mattrules64Posted 9/7/2013 7:52:15 AM
I don't think I'm going to use the Pokémon Bank but to me it sounds a lot more convenient than the "free" method of using two consoles to transfer. I honestly don't get why people are infuriated by the price I mean it's just $5 (and sure that's cheaper than buying another console and game but that's a non issue if you have friends or siblings with a 3DS and a copy of the game) that's not what I consider corporate greed or the beginning of micro transactions and it's not like it was something that clearly should have been in the game before it shipped like 007 Legends' ending. I can understand the hostile reactions these kinds of topics get from this board there are WAY too many idiots and trolls on the Nintendo boards that blow things way out of proportion.
And considering the type of service and how long it would be on for I doubt this would have been free in the first place IMO.
#139DreadJesterPosted 9/7/2013 9:02:13 AM
I seriously sit here and shake my head as to why anyone has a problem with this.... Allow me to bring up some points....

1. If you like Pokémon and want to see it continue to grow I will support Pokémon with my hard earned money. $5.00 a year is hardly difficult to come up with to support a game I enjoy.

2. I can literally FIND $5.00 a year by simply collecting up lost coins and money I find as I go about my life.

3. I'd much prefer paying $5.00 a year to having an ad shoved in my face every time I transferred a Pokémon.

4. You spent $40.00+ to buy the game. Clearly the game doesn't cost this much to produce in materials (especially if you download it,) or labor spent creating it and the developers as well as Nintendo will clearly make huge profit off that yet you aren't complaining about that.....

5. It's an OPTIONAL service. If you're too cheap to support a game with $5.00 a year after plopping down $40.00 on the game itself then don't use it. Most other games out there don't let you transfer your hard earned work from one game version to another anyhow so it shouldn't be any different than that.

6. Last point.... There's plenty of much much worse practices in the gaming industry to be complaining about than $5.00 a year fee. How about we complain about companies that release more or less the same game every year with a few simple changes yet charge you full price each year (Madden Football, Call of Duty.........) Or how about we complain about games/game systems that charge you $10.00 or more each and every MONTH to continue playing them (MMORPG's, XBOX....) Or how about we complain about companies that kick out a game with half the content removed which they sell you as an "expansion" on the same day the game is released.... I could keep going here.......
---
3DS Friend Code: D Jester 3609-1862-5983
#140Pupu27Posted 9/7/2013 9:18:01 AM
NinjaKitsune posted...
Pupu27 posted...
NinjaKitsune posted...
Pupu27 posted...

I'm sure Nintendo is trying to make a profit with PokeBank, they are a business. But I'm also sure their profit margin is not like 90%. It would be around 20%-30% maximum (that the same as the average profit margin of Microsoft or EA, I think the only industry that rip off its customers is the fastfood industry with McDonalds' profit margin nearly reaches 50% >:)).

The numbers just don't add up on that. Consider Dropbox. Their premium service is 99GB for $100/yr. That's one dollar per GB per year. And they have enough profits to offer anyone who wants it 2 GB completely free. With backups of the files going a month back.

Now, for pokemon bank to have a similar profit margin (which, given the above, is probably above 30% by the way), 3000 pokemon would have to take up 5 GB. That's nearly 2 megabytes per pokemon. There's no way you're going to convince anyone that a single pokemon's data takes up 2 megabytes.

$5 isn't much, but the service they're offering is worth a fraction of that.

You didn't consider the fact that PokeBank is a niche product for Pokemon gamers only. It won't attract the same number of users like Dropbox or GoogleDrive - and it isn't supposed to be (Dropbox has 175m users in 2013 and Google has maybe a zillion users :)). Smaller market forces the higher price to cover costs.

That's the reason why your Gigabytes/dollar comparison is not accurate. A Leica M9 and Canon 5D Mark III have the same specs, both are full frame digital camera and arguably can create the same quality photographs. However the Leica price is $7000 compared with $2000 price tag of the 5D Mark III. It's because Canon has a much bigger market than Leica.

Also remember Nintendo's intention is to make PokeBank a service for Pokemon games only, it doesn't their main business so they won't focus a lot of their resources to it. It's totally different with DropBox as their entire business plan is about cloud storage services. Nintendo will most likely award customers by dropping price of their gaming consoles which is their core business.

Or maybe they have a smaller market because they charge 3x as much for comparable tech?

Leica certainly could try dropping the price to see if they can expanse their user base or not (and facing the risk of bankruptcy if this strategy doesn't work out). However in the case of Nintendo, only Pokemon gamers will ever subscribes PokeBank, their market is deem to be small from the design. There is no way Nintendo could do to make it has as much users as DropBox or GoogleDrive.

And more users always equal cheaper price. Like a 4K TV today has the price tag of $10k+ but in 4-5 years time when more people join the bandwagon, I'm sure it's price will be the same as a normal HDTV today.