This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

A question for people who EV train...

#1MAXFERNOPosted 9/6/2013 7:01:00 PM
...which I assume is most of us.

I have several lvl 100 parties dating back to Gen IV and I only EV trained one of them, with natures and all. Since you can't really play through the main story and EV train simultaneously, I was wondering how all of you played through the main story.

Do you just use your starter to try and beat the E4 as quickly as possible? Do you get your party Pokémon and then just breed after you beat the E4? Etcetera?
---
That's Stupid
#2ZarthimusPrimePosted 9/6/2013 7:03:22 PM
I just play through the game, obliterating whatever gets in my way with whatever Pokemon I choose to have on my team.

Post-game, I'll usually breed and then EV train.
---
Black FC: 3740 9039 0091
Black 2 FC: 2237 9220 4000
#3Lux_SentouPosted 9/6/2013 7:05:30 PM
It's certainly possible to EV train in-game, depending on how you play. i did it in gen iv with little trouble. There's usually at least one pokemon for every stat relatively early in the game, and for everything you don't want, just have a throwaway poke kill it.

Once you have the 510 EVs, which really doesnt take long at all, have at it for the rest of the game.
---
I cannot protect you without holding a sword.
I cannot embrace you while holding a sword.
#4hors_doeuvresPosted 9/6/2013 7:15:04 PM(edited)
I think it was it White 2, after I got my starter, I just roamed Route 2 for Patrat, Purrloin, and Lillipup until I had 252 EVs in Attack and Speed. Then Audino in shaking grass for the last 4 EVs.

I only did it for my starter during the main game though.
---
3DS: 3179-7514-8675
"Vitamins, carotins, potassium, fiber... polyphenol!!!"
#5CakeOfLiesPosted 9/6/2013 7:13:56 PM
I play through the story like a casual player. I completely ignore EVs (however, I do like a good Nature. Like a Modest Empoleon, for example).

I only EV train things that I intend to use online.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Pokemon White 2 FC: 3139-7420-3142 - THIEF
#6MAXFERNO(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 7:15:02 PM
Good ideas. I think I'll try EV training early on so I can play through with my party. It sounds much easier to me, and more enjoyable
---
That's Stupid
#7masladaPosted 9/6/2013 7:15:43 PM
Don't bother doing it during the story, choose Oshawott, catch a Drilbur and Darumaka (Or Magnemite and Sandile in the sequel) and just roflstomp through the game and worry about breeding, IVs, natures and EVs after.
#8tiomastaPosted 9/6/2013 7:19:37 PM
Apparently, with the new system in X/Y, you might be able to just play through the story without having to grind for for specific EVs, AND develop the proper EVs at the same time.
---
There are three types of people in the world: people that can count, and people that can't.
#9MAXFERNO(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 7:33:58 PM
tiomasta posted...
Apparently, with the new system in X/Y, you might be able to just play through the story without having to grind for for specific EVs, AND develop the proper EVs at the same time.

Very true, it'll probably have to be a game-time decision once I get the game
---
That's Stupid
#10EstheimasterPosted 9/6/2013 7:37:42 PM
I just played through my games normally and ignored EVs till post E4. Then I just bred new Pokemon and trained them.
---
The Official Bulbasaur of Pokemon X's board
Bowser Jr, T Zelda, Ridley, Palutena, Pittoo, Isaac, Shulk, Mewtwo, Robin, Balloon Fight, Crono, Mii, Megaman, Neku