This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What if they never added dark and steel types to balance psychic?

#1PrettyTonyTigerPosted 9/6/2013 9:06:39 PM
But instead they added ACTUAL bug & ghost type moves, MORE non-magikarp bugs, and more ghosts that aren't poison type too. Do you think psychic would still be God-type today?
---
Females are the greatest beings in the universe!!!
Users who agree: 16!!!
#2NessEggmanPosted 9/6/2013 9:11:43 PM
Yeah I wonder about this sometimes. Psychic wasn't overpowered because there were no checks in the type chart... its because the checks that were there had no in-game useful counterparts.

I mean, Heracross vs most Pyschic types? I'll put money on Heracross. And he's not dark or steel.
---
"Earth is a silly place. Half the world has no clean water. And the other half has so much, they poo in it."
3DS FC: 2750 1911 5515
#3Ray GunPosted 9/6/2013 9:12:37 PM
seeing as heracross is weak to psychic that's a very bad bet
---
rg
#4PrettyTonyTiger(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 9:14:39 PM
Ray Gun posted...

Neutral
---
Females are the greatest beings in the universe!!!
Users who agree: 16!!!
#5FullAutoCVTPosted 9/6/2013 9:15:42 PM
Yeah, and the Steel and Dark types were also put in to buff the Fighting type, which sucked in Gen 1. Only it's issue wasn't in the type chart either, it just had utter **** for moves and the bad luck of being weak to the strongest type in the game. But now that it gets overpowered and widely distributed attacks like Close combat, Dark and Steel just help it be super overpowered.
#6SuperRup91Posted 9/6/2013 9:16:04 PM
PrettyTonyTiger posted...
Ray Gun posted...

Neutral

no, it is weak to psychic...but it does deal super effective damage
#7jayman7Posted 9/6/2013 9:16:45 PM
Don't forget, though, that the only things that resisted Psychic attacks were Psychic Pokemon. Kinda like Dragon now, only not weak to itself!
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#8jayman7Posted 9/6/2013 9:17:06 PM
PrettyTonyTiger posted...
Ray Gun posted...

Neutral

No, weak. Bug does not resist Psychic.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#9Faust_8Posted 9/6/2013 9:19:11 PM
Well, neither Bug nor Ghost resist Psychic so Psychic would have neutral-or-better coverage on everything except other Psychics.

So any stat-boosting Psychic could easily sweep. Sure, another Psychic would resist the STAB but you would just have a coverage move. Many can have Shadow Ball. So just boost yours first and you've punched holes in the enemy team or won outright, since any Psychic will fall to your Shadow Ball and for everything else there's your STAB or other coverage move(s).

Great Bug/Ghost Pokemon and attacks would help but it would still be overcentralizing. Dark and Steel were needed since nothing else resists Psychic.
---
I'm not against religion. I'm against all bad ideas, held for bad reasons, prompting bad behavior.
#10PrettyTonyTiger(Topic Creator)Posted 9/6/2013 9:19:12 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]